ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent! - Windscreen getting replaced

FF Orange Clio 182
Hello,

Last week I went past a gritter and got a small chip in the bottom corner of my window (on the black bit so didn't see the damage), it has turned into a 3 inch crack. I have called my insurer (elephant) who charge £25 to fix it and £75 to replace the window.

They're coming out tomorrow and from the phone call I got it sounds like the repairer wants to replace the window already without looking at it.

I have the auto lights/rain sensors so I know it's a slightly different window but will it be a genuine one? If I'm going to fork out I want an actual "replacement" and not a knockoff "substitution"... Are there any unbranded windows etc out there or will they be genuine?

Thanks!

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
I was told to ask for a pilkinton glass mate. Apparently there is Chinese copies that aren't as good but are still perfectly safe

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Main thing with replacement windscreens is leakage. A lot of them aren't fitted correctly and leak. Keep an eye on that and if it's all good then great. I'd love a new windscreen! The light scratches from the wipers do my tits in

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm glad I read this as I need to sort a replacement out for mine

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Had mine replaced on the 182 and it's an oem solar screen, not 100% sure if it's Pilkington but i think it is.

It's got two bloody small chips in it already and it's only 3-4 month old. Trackdays FTL 😞

FF Orange Clio 182
What does it matter as long as it fits OEM?
If you're getting a replacement would you not want the "best glass"? It's not that anything else is immediately bad but I don't like to think I could potentially be compromising.

FF Orange Clio 182
Had mine replaced on the 182 and it's an oem solar screen, not 100% sure if it's Pilkington but i think it is.

It's got two bloody small chips in it already and it's only 3-4 month old. Trackdays FTL 😞

It says in the bottom right corner of mine.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
If you're getting a replacement would you not want the "best glass"? It's not that anything else is immediately bad but I don't like to think I could potentially be compromising.

Can you be confident it's "better glass"?

People always say this but I guess all glass must conform to the required standards.

I've heard people say none oem chips easier but then I'd be interested to know if this is fact or just make believe.

FF Orange Clio 182
Can you be confident it's "better glass"?

People always say this but I guess all glass must conform to the required standards.

I've heard people say none oem chips easier but then I'd be interested to know if this is fact or just make believe.

Yeah when I asked the fitter he said all glass needs to meet British standards anyway.

There's probably a small amount of truth but I doubt there will be much difference even under test conditions.

Also I guess when I come to sell that car it's a small positive as I can say it's had a brand new OEM windscreen so it's completely scratch free.