ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using Lacquer

Titanium 182 FF
Currently in the middle of refurbishing some rims. I'm to the point where lacquer is ready to be applied but i just wanted some opinions on sanding with wet and dry beforehand.

It says on the can to do this with some 1200 as to help it adhere to the paint but a few mates have said you don't need too.
Obviously it will remove the glossy finish, does the lacquer bring the glossy finish back?

Punto/Clio GTT
you can if you want to, but it really aint needed unless theres lots of crap in the paint (basecoat) or if youve left it for too long and its cured.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
If you start to rub the base you have to put another coat of base over it or other wise you will see where you have sanded.

Titanium 182 FF
If you start to rub the base you have to put another coat of base over it or other wise you will see where you have sanded.

even when using 1200?

lol im just in two minds because i've never sprayed anything before and some people have rubbed down slightly and some havn't. I certainly don't want the lacquer to start flaking after a couple of months.

Punto/Clio GTT
p1200 you may see fine marks if you dont use a block or if you have something rounded and press with your fingertips.

if theres nothing wrong with the basecoat then theres no need at all to wetflat it for laquer

Punto/Clio GTT
its fine if you paint it, leave it overnight then laquer it the following day.

ideally you wanna paint it all in 1 go though

titanic killer
Yeah thats what i did primered it left it 24hrs colour 4 coats left that but its been 24hrs now and cant laquer it till tommorow,will it still be ok to laquer?

Titanium 182 FF
lol ive been doing in my cold shed with a spotlight and a hairdryer, not ideal conditions but they've come out well.