ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using or getting rid ? What do people think?

Hi boys and girls , just wanted people's opinions really on what they would do,

I've recently been look at selling the 182 , it's just hit 100k and I've got some money and though maybe it's time to bite the bullet and buy my dream car , a BMW M3 e46!

Now the issues I have are basically there is no real reason why I should see the 182 , if you see my project thread I've spent ages and lots of money getting it to exactly how I wanted it , I'm finally getting close to what I want and then I'm going to sell! Even I think this is a bit dumb!

Second off the M3 Will literally be right at the top of the budget , I will literally be using every penny I've saved and a few months saving and paying my insurance monthly as well (I pay yearly on the Clio) I just think streching myself this far financially isn't clever what do you guys think?

I only really cover about 6000 miles a year , majority if which is to work , in traffic , on the odd occasion out with friends or missus , but am I really going to use the M3 for what it's worth ? Or am I just going to get a car that is shite on fuel and ill resent buying ?

Or should I just bang the money in my bank for when me and the missus are ready to buy a house (2 years or so yet)

And second debate , if I was to keep my clio , what would people recommend next ? See my project thread to see where I am, but I don't really want ITBS because they are expensive for little gain, and I've had Cambelt done a while ago so cba with cams till that's due (and a lot of people say don't bother after 100k)

Sorry about the big questions really unsure what do!

Dean

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Get an e36 M3 evo. Cheaper than a 46, easy to work on, loads of cheap parts etc.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Tough call. I bought an Impreza STI PPP which is around the same power and MPG as an M3... I kept it for a year, as the costs drove me insane, and now I'm back in a Clio 182! It was a great experience but just not for me, and I did even less miles than you btw, about half in fact. I felt like it was wasted on me. However I do want an M3 later in life because lets me honest, they're just awesome :)

Maybe you could go somewhere in between and see how it feels.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I'd keep the Clio, easy choice.

​Freshen up a few things, bushes etc. and enjoy it.

Tough call. I bought an Impreza STI PPP which is around the same power and MPG as an M3... I kept it for a year, as the costs drove me insane, and now I'm back in a Clio 182! It was a great experience but just not for me, and I did even less miles than you btw, about half in fact. I felt like it was wasted on me. However I do want an M3 later in life because lets me honest, they're just awesome :)

Maybe you could go somewhere in between and see how it feels.

Hmmm maybe but like you say what are the other options really?

You really need help with this answer?

Lol first world problems i know !! :S

Get an e36 M3 evo. Cheaper than a 46, easy to work on, loads of cheap parts etc.

See i did look at that , but i couldnt get one with less than 80,000k and its R reg, and £6000, it bothers me paying that when you can get a E46 for 8-8.5 on like a 54 reg

Lotus Elise
A warranty or a pot of emergency cash needed for E46 ownership. Tyres are costly as is servicing.

This. If you can only just afford an M3, you can't afford an M3.

This. My M3 Evo that was premium money with fantastic history has cost me more than I paid for the car to fix. An E46 will be no different.

I'd say you're far better off getting a pristine E36 over an average E46. The E36 will get your money back if nothing expensive crops up on it, something like a M3 GT (non Evo) as they are a lot more reliable.

Nick

Cheers boys ! Your all really confirming what I think I I didn't want to admit! Lol

The tyres were one thing that worried me , and brakes etc !

Might just keep the Clio , only reason I'd get rid is for a M3 really , no need for anything else! Might just spend some on this car make it exactly how I want it !

Next questions! Lol If I keep the Clio , I fancy lowering slightly and a trophy/V6 spoiler !

They seamed to be bigger than cup spoilers am I right? And I bet the fetch a arm and a leg ?

What are people's opinions of lowering ? Been looking at cooksport sprigs ! Don't fancy coilovers, seam very over kill for day to day driving ! Don't want it low just take a little out the arch gap and a bit more positive drive !

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Next questions! Lol If I keep the Clio , I fancy lowering slightly and a trophy/V6 spoiler !

They seamed to be bigger than cup spoilers am I right? And I bet the fetch a arm and a leg ?

What are people's opinions of lowering ? Been looking at cooksport sprigs ! Don't fancy coilovers, seam very over kill for day to day driving ! Don't want it low just take a little out the arch gap and a bit more positive drive !

Trophy/V6 spoilers are definitely bigger, and it's harder to pull the look off with them too.

Cooksports are great, work best with cup shocks though so bear that in mind.

I'd say if you buy right you could keep the M3 for a couple of years and not lose an awful lot on it.

Yes you would pay more for consumables, fuel etc but at 12,000 over 2 years it won't be the end of the world.

Then you get the car you really want and when you and your gf is ready to get a place you can sell.

You'd have to buy smart though.

RB182cup&golf gti
Definitely keep the Clio and save your money. I know someone that had one of these for a short while and lost a fortune in expensive repairs. He got rid in the end a lot worse off. Fantastic cars but you'll need a stash of cash set aside for repairs & maintenance unless you're lucky!