ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using or losing water + oil

Cro

Meg'd r27
Flip sake, wouldn't be like it to have a decent run of no problems lol. Love it!

Well heres the run down:

I'm losing or using water at a relatively slow rate, from being filled half way on the expansion tank to getting to min takes about 2 months.

I'm losing or using oil at 1L for every 500 miles which is WAY above what I would deem normal

Theres oil all over the rocker cover pooling in the bolt holes, dripping down towards the front inlet and back towards the exhaust manifold. Occaisionally there'll be a puff of smoke which I presume the the oil burning off the manifold.

Theres oil on the threads of the spark plugs, the tips of the spark plugs are properly black

Everything appears to be running fine and as normal

Compression across the cylinders is as follows from left to right:

120 120 115 125

Which to me is normal, right?

Theres no mayo or anything in the oil cap or dipstick, likewise no oil in the water.

Don't think i've noticed any difference in smoke or anything from the exhaust, apart from if I havn't given it death in a while when I do there'll be a puff of darker than normal fumes behind me. No layer of oil or anything on the boot

The oil breather from my itbs goes to a coke bottle (zero I might add, no full fat stuff) and theres virtually nothing in there apart from some condensation (smelly smelly water)

What do you think?

That water 'loss' doesn't seem that bad to me. Possibly a slight drip somewhere.

If you leave it on a flat drive (when it's not been raining) can see you see spots or anything? Could just be a slight crack in a pipe somewhere.

Oil seems worse but zero idea what to suggest for that one :eek:

Evo 5 RS
if theres oil on the threads your rockercovers probably pissing out and it's going down the wells. plugs will foul overtime from over fueling, does sound like you're using a fair bit of oil though tbh

Mine was leaking coolant, not as fast as yours but emptied the header over 5months, turned out to be a leaking gasket around the thermostat.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Jeeez I never even thought about the fact it'd be pissing down the plug holes , I just figured it'd be coming from below somewhere! Good shout, my mind is a wee bit easier about it just being the rocker cover now! At least I can fix that during a dephaser change

Never any water drips anywhere but i'll check the extra coolant sensor location for a start then the thermostat and water pump areas, cheers guys

182 FF
I had the same water loss problem and it finally let go on a track day. The water hoses are like a set of bagpipes and Mine had split just above the gearbox so worth havin a poke around (£100 OE and abouy £180 for samco). Also had the the same oil leak on mine from the oil breather so I took it off as four of the bolts were broken, put some sump sealer around it as the new gasket is £65(!) and new bolts, Problem solved.

Evo 5 RS
mate honestly I wouldn't loose sleep over it, mines lost coolant over time and I have no idea where it's going! Just top it up every couple weeks

Cro

Meg'd r27
Thats what im doing, I was only worrying because both were happening at the same time.

My silicone hoses should be grand, ive a funny feeling its probably weeping a bit at the omex's coolant temp sensor so easy fix if thats it.

If oil is getting in past the plugs above the pistons will it just burn off over time??

Cro

Meg'd r27
Definately not mate I wouldnt be betting money on it, not sure if itbs make a difference to the compression rating though. It was more the fact they were all around the same I was concerned about.

BMW M135i
ITBs won't make a difference to compression as long as you followed the normal rules. Did you hold the throttle WOT when you were cranking over? I'd try another gauge then as 120 is well down.

Evo 5 RS
Thats what im doing, I was only worrying because both were happening at the same time.

My silicone hoses should be grand, ive a funny feeling its probably weeping a bit at the omex's coolant temp sensor so easy fix if thats it.

If oil is getting in past the plugs above the pistons will it just burn off over time??

no it'll sit there and eventually cause misfire, clean them up and put them back in. Then think about getting your belts done if it's coming from the seal (aslong as the compression isn't honestly that low, which I doubt)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Yep was at WOT but kept the filter on, maybe that was it. I'll try again without after a drive later.

no it'll sit there and eventually cause misfire, clean them up and put them back in. Then think about getting your belts done if it's coming from the seal (aslong as the compression isn't honestly that low, which I doubt)

I mean any oil that gets onto the pistons, will that burn itself off or shall I whip the head off, clean and change headgasket anyway when I do the belts?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Definitely running at full power :approve: but same readings again with no filter and WOT, 115 across all cylinders so must just be the guage. I'm not too bothered about that, it'd be too much of a coincidence for all to be down on compression and all to the same degree!