ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 Clio with NOS

Clio 197

The quarter mile is a terrible waste of the V6s talent. Have you had it on the track at all? Much easier on the clutch and gearbox, and you get to play with other things like the steering and brakes.

no mate i havent - if you know of any track days give us a shout. I like the strip - im a real muscle car fan (60 S yank v8S CHARGERS - CAMARO - CUDAS ETC) and the strip is a good power test of all cars - even ones that cant handle. In all honestly i think the v6 is terribly underpowered & cant see it doin that well on a track. I have a 1988 21 turbo and it tails the v6 to 145 mph - this is a 15 yr old car - were is the performance development from renault there ?? - eddd

emissions! lol.....

I too am a hot rodding fan, not specific to any make, but Chevy and Mopar are my main interests.

Camaro SS yum,

Still, a bit hard to do it over here, and you cant play with the really nice stuff, would quite a El Camino though.......yes yes, i know before you puke! lol

Clio 197

CB1A,

Power is only one part of the equation on the track. Brakes, tyres, suspension, gearing, handling and driver skill count for more. All have to be balanced. A car that would smoke you in the quarter, especially of the Yank tank variety, wouldnt get past the first corner never mind a lap. The V6 would lap all day with no bother.

As to the 21 turbo, the V6 would leave it for dead. On the track you would be surprised just how good the new cars are. They may not have any more power that a 15 year old car and weigh more, but in stock form, cars of the same class will absolutely blow the older car into the weeds.

There is a two day FREE track day at Nogaro 24/25 May for owners of cars such as the V6, Cup,172, 16v, Willy, Spider and all the Alpines etc.

Nissan R35 GT-R

What would you prefer? Nitrous or a Turbo (or twin turbo would be more sensible in a V6)!

I think nitrous is the best option. A turbo or two in that car would be down right dangerous. No arguments please. :D LOL!

edddd - trust me - i own a 21 turbo and it sticks to the v6 like you wouldnt believe. French cossie - definetely!!

but eddd ud whoop a v6 round the track in that bloody TD hire car u had! - lol! bloody thing was catching scoobies on the corners!

EDDDD - on about track days and handling etc - is it me are is the corvette c5 & viper gts dominating le mans gt racin at the moment - i think so. when youve been in a fast corvette youll know what i mean - trust me ive owned the more modern ones & they can out handle most european stuff. What about carroll shelby and his cobra ? when they put there mind to it yanks can make them tanks perform !!!

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by CB1A on 16 May 2003

the clio 2.0 mk1 lads will probably give the v6 a run for the money - in all honestly they aint that much quicker than a cup. im a bit dissapointed really - but lets see what the n20 does. if all else fails its back to american V8 power.
like iv said earlier im only 0.1 sec behind your best time at york..........a v6 pullin nearly same times as a 9 year old standard williams....now thats NOT impressive............i mean a £25k supercar????????????

Clio 197

CB1A,

Yeah those big engines can move and the Viper is one of the biggest. It is all about interpreting the rules, and writing the rules to exclude high tech as well. Pushrods went out a long time ago, but live on in the Viper, Corvette and Nascar!

Shelby took on Ferrari, but with a British chassis. All the ACE needed was a V8 to become a Cobra.

There is no replacement for displacement as the Yanks would say. We all know there are other ways of doing it as well.

2 LIVE - LETS FACE IT MAN - i will race you at york and i will beat you. if its only an inch its still winnin - yeh ? £250.00 i beat you - by more than 0.1 second. 25k is peanuts. give me your number and strip ya raced at and ill check ya times. mines t207 york - sat here with a beer awaitin no.

girl racer - your cool.

im goin to vid this & post it on the sight.

I think the fact of having that little speed boost sounds cool. My brothers mate put nos on his motorbike, he could start wheelspinning at 70mph! I aint as clued up as all you guys yet. I would like to try some sort of racing, might try a rally course, or go on the skid pans first. no doubt ill be able to learn a lot off reading the posts on this site!

CB1A. 25k is peanuts?

"Ill have me a pint and a pack of nuts please, actually make that a pint and a V6"

The V6 is a very stylish car. CB1A was the first to say it was underpowered too. I know my money would still be on the V6 on the strip.

Not being an expert on cars and stuff but wouldnt a sequential gearbox make a massive difference to its 0-60 times. I know they are exspensive though but just another option to n20 or turbo or supercharger. Would that possibly also mean that the current de-tuning of the engine could be freed up?

a sequential box would make a diff, but teh 6K it would cost could be spent of far better things. 6K and you could have a 320bhp NA engine......

Clio 197

Well yesterday I drove a 1.4 Focus. Did 19 laps. Could have done with a few more ponies, but it was good on the downhill bits. Very tossable due to the Conti Eco Contact tyres. I do hope they make it another 20 laps or so. I dont want to buy Hertz a new set!

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by CB1A on 16 May 2003

2 LIVE - LETS FACE IT MAN - i will race you at york and i will beat you. if its only an inch its still winnin - yeh ? £250.00 i beat you - by more than 0.1 second. 25k is peanuts. give me your number and strip ya raced at and ill check ya times. mines t207 york - sat here with a beer awaitin no.

girl racer - your cool.

im goin to vid this & post it on the sight.

lets face what man?????????????

you may be able to blow 25k on a car n call it peanuts........i cant mate

but if you wanna go wasting your money thats your choice.

yes the v6 clio is a very nice looking car............but for 25k theres plenty other stuff out there thats s good to look at and out performs them

the yank tanks lol.....why would you bother??????

ok so most of em have v8s. so wot?

can they actually go round bends? no dont think so lol

fukkin hell even the mini cooper s beat em in the classic car races lol

1.2 litres vs 5.7...........................hahahahahahaha

as you can see bhp isnt evrything mate.........sure it helps a lot but not 1/2 as much as being able to get round that coner 30 mph faster than the guy your racing lol

and as for betting on the rsult of our race.........

if 25k fuk all to u, u put a grand in an ill put a tenner in.....n u dont use ur nos

then well see how we do eh?

Clio v6

Damn you CB1A.

I just spent the last 12 hours in my local police station cell :(

All I did was go into Tesco and said "I want 25k now"

The police let me out when I convinced them that the peanuts should have been more easily available.

2 LIVE - ok check the times for 1968 dodge charger that beat the new tvr tuscan at york last month. These are real strip cars and there quick - we go on about 14 & 15 sec times - there doin it in 10 - 11 sec. The yanks invented drag racin 60 yrs ago man. I know there quick - the corvette L 98 ive just sold was doin it in low 13 s - so i think i know what im on about. As for handlin - did you watch the le mans 24 hr last year - the new corvette c5 won the gt championship & the viper came 2nd - what happened to the porsches - when youve got a valid point man - reply back. v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8v8

chill.

the coopers didnt beat em mate - check out the ford falcons & earlier shelby mustangs + camaro,s that used to race on the track with coopers - the little minis got there sad british leyland arses whooped - see CLASSIC AMERICAN MAGAZINe ISSUE NO 145 page 35 - 37. Ill download it for you if ya want ??

the C5 and vipers are in no respect representable of the general state of US cars. Firstly, their chassis and running geometry has NOTHING in common.

And they are certainly not representative of ANY 60s & 70s muscle cars.

Fanstastic on the strip they may be, gorgeous to behold and a symphony to listen to. But a good track cars they aint.

Saw a corvette at coombe a while ago, astras were getting past it!

I love muscle cars, but in std trim they are not very much fun.

Clio 197

CB1A,

The Porsches would wipe the floor with the Vettes and Vipers if they had large engines. Did you ever hear of the 917? Back in the early 70s it was getting over 1200hp in a road racing car. No Vette or Viper now would come close to it. Imagine what it would be like with 30 years development? It is all about the way the GT rules are written. The Porsches are running 3.6 and 3.8 litre engines. They are in a different class altogether.

The race prepped Viper and Vette have little in common with the street car. The GT3 Porsche is damn near race ready out of the factory.

Put an unmodified muscle car on the track and it will be eaten alive by most anything new. A decent 1.6 saloon will blow it into the weeds.

The strip is one thing, the track an altogether different story.

Ed

yeh but they were only designed to race in a straight line yeh ??

They do represent muscle cars - they are todays muscle cars - just like how the clio,s have developed over the pas 10 yrs.

aint it good though to pull up in a 40 yr old yank & waste a modern day supercar. Thats what its all about. not looks - just pure aggresive power.

anyway do you have an xr2 mk 1 - there a top motor - had one for my first car about 10 yr ago.

eedddddd - le mans last year the porsches were beat by the corvette c5 - FACT. People just dont like em & they dog em. Check the le man web site out . Have you ever been in a vette ?? i know the gt 3 is quick but what about the zr1 vette are the z06 - log onto a site & check out the handlin capabilities & 0-60 times. ---- ZO6 0-60 - 3.8 - 4.0 sec dependin on which mag you look at.

Elise/VX220/R26

Just to add my two peneth into the pot here

Yank cars might be big gargling v8 monsters but theyre really something that your grandads into arent they? totally uncool.

Yes the Clio V6 is desirable to us lowly 172/cup/valver etc owners but £25k? Impretza money and they dont come near really do they?

Im definately looking forward to next monday as Ive got £20 on CB1A stalling against a willy ;)

They pump out more power, simple.......

the CanAm series was wiped by porsche when they ran their 3.6 1000bhp+ turbo AIR COOLED monster.....it also set the fastest ave speed round, cant remember, taledega or michigin.....or something.

Anyway, the new vettes are good, but if your going for a 500bhp large capacity supercar, there are faster and better.

Yup, have a caspian blue MK1 XR2 with the rare storm trim. hardly any rust, jsut the front panel lip under the front spoiler. Not running the same ol 1600 86bhp crossle. Got a 1760 race spec 150bhp moster, only reason is its running 150 is due to the twin 40s, but its used ont eh rd so it needs some getup and go. Loads of chassis tweeks, lovely car, will blow most cars on teh track into the weeds.

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 17 May 2003

Just to add my two peneth into the pot here

Yank cars might be big gargling v8 monsters but theyre really something that your grandads into arent they? totally uncool.

Yes the Clio V6 is desirable to us lowly 172/cup/valver etc owners but £25k? Impretza money and they dont come near really do they?

Im definately looking forward to next monday as Ive got £20 on CB1A stalling against a willy ;)

how can you say a 450bhp camaro SS is uncool.......!!!!!

And impretza! if you want a horrible handling ugly car then hell yea!!! total VFM!! lol....soz, horrid cars to drive, and to make it nice, you would spend jsut as much as you would on the V6 to get it to a comparable level.

im downloadin last months 4 races in about 2 hrs onto the site - watch and learn johny - go and change your bet - That £20.00 could buy you a silver fork ---- to eat ya words with !!

hey i love 172 & cups there the business - i work for a renault franchise & there the best hot hatch on the road - respect.

Clio 197

I grew up with the muscle cars and never owned one. Just couldnt see the fun in the quarter mile. I always was a road race/rally fanantic and owned some decent machinery over the years. I have raced in some professional series and rallied as well. I enjoy machinery that is light and handles well. Ive never drag raced. Just not my thing. But I have sat on the grid in an Atlantic with about 10k on the clock and dumped the clutch, along with about 30 others. 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. In company. With everybody wanting to be in the same place for the first turn. Now that was fun.

The point about the Vettes and Vipers that you seem to be missing is that they are big displacement cars and if Porsche was allowed by the rules to run a turbo against them they would be history. For a car with half the displacement of the Viper, the GT3 is a far better proposition. I can also assure you that if the GT3 engine was as big as the Vette or Viper, things would be very different.

Street Vettes and Vipers are the Harley Davidsons of the automotive world. Granted may the Buell version, but they are agricultural in their engineering. The ZR1 of a few years ago was a step in the right direction with the DOHC engine but the Vette lovers have to have their pushrods. Just like NASCAR. Archaic but big. It works but is not elegant.

I had my Harleys for cruising. But I also had my RC30 for the serious stuff...

well, pushrods aint bad, its got benefits of easy head swapping, and you can change roker geometry to alter tha cam profile, but to change the actual cam is a pain!

Formula atlantic......hehe......i got a spare engine to go in my toyota AE86.......shame its about 5 yrs of being finished though, parts for that car are just way too expensive, and finding panels is sooper tough. That will be shipped from HK to the UK when its done and it WILL be going to the ring. But it will be detuned to about 220bhp, but im gonna keep the 10K redline.....gotta dont you.

I think we have alot in common eddd.....:D

fair point - i suppose each car has its own advantage for different events. If you ever get the oppurtunity to drive a c5 vette though, you,ll know what i mean.

I think also the thing to remember is that when the yanks design their cars they dont have to make tem go around corners as all their roads are straight.

Im a fan of american cars and Ive always wanted a Ford F150 Lightning... Or a Dodge Charger... There are a few ppl around my way with big RVs there is even a guy who drives around in a Massive dodge Ram.. I dont know how he parks the thing...

Ill be in the States end of next week :) visiting the inlaws