ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 MKI - Problems to look for

Fellow V6 enthusiasts,

I am currently deliberating on a MKI with less than 15,000km and in pristine condition exterior-wise. On the inside, the steering rim have flaked a bit (will replace with new wheel) and some of the centre console trim and the door trim has scratch marks, which actually doesnt bother me a bit.

I borrowed the car to test recently and noticed a slight whine when accelerating between 2500 to about 4000rpm. The whine only lasts for about half a second at most for 2-3 times during the acceleration range but the noise can be repeated when accelerating in the said range. Additionally, I have noticed that the brake lights doesnt seem to go off even if I let off the brake, perhaps a valve problem?

What other issues should I be aware of? The car is fitted with a relatively new set of S-03 tyres.

I dont know a whole lot about this special car yet, so desperately seek your advice and experience on this matter.

Thanks in advance,
krms

[Edited by krms on 4/22/2005 6:10:59 PM]

Clio v6

Apart from water leaking into the rear light harness, my MK1 was trouble free, faster and safer than any other Clio model including the MK2 V6.

Only lacking in bright head lights.

Apart from the usual.........S/History, condition, panel alignment, leaks etc etc...............I looked at the tyres and used them as a bargaining tool...........other than that the only problem I have had is a missfire caused by the coils...........and you would know if it had the same problem.................TRUST ME :D

cat, thanks. Have read through the EVO article quite a few times, but didnt say anything in particular with the issues I experienced in my test. Hope its not a major problem...

James, thanks for your response as well. Is the water leakage to the rear lights unavoidable?

The previous owner of the MKI I am considering fitted xenons to the car, quite a nice touch imo.

[Edited by krms on 4/22/2005 6:23:58 PM]

Clio v6

Xenons may cost a fair bit. I recall they fitted some better fitting rear lamps and big lumps of sponge in the arches.

Quote: Originally posted by wrx-172 on 22 April 2005

MINT CARS!!!!:D Gearbox probs to look out for maybe the whine?

Have heard a gearbox oil change can help this although mine does NOT seem to suffer from it................but has had ALL 6 coils replaced 3 under warranty and 3 as a goodwill gesture from Reno :D

Cya Stu

clio v6

brake light fault with mine was the switch on the pedal...just stuck it in place...problem solved...

rusty door bolts....rear wheel tracking and alarm fault...all done under warranty.

Thanks all.

And your vee looks sharp Clarkie. Sorry for the confusion, yours is a MKII or MKI fitted with the new rearlamps? Your avatar is a MKI serial plate causing the confusion.

Luckily car I tried still has 6 months of warranty left in it. Will asked to have thorough inspection and problems sorted. Hopefully I will join the ranks of becoming a Vee owner soon!

Cheers.

I am looking to the same to mine. (yes, mine!) Do non-V6 Clio MKII lights fit? How much did they run for?

Sorry for the questions, are those stock MKII exhausts or aftermarket ones?

Thanks.

Evo MR FQ300 & Clio V6

All of the Genuine Ranault MkII lights fit (ebay will cost around £35 for the pair - or put a wanted add on here) The wiring needs to be changed - straight forward job - the connectors come out the plugs and you just put them in the right order - there is aguide on here somewhere.

Looks like and aftermarket exhaust.

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Hi KRMS, I too have just bought a mk1 Vee, and like you have a ropey steering wheel and silver trim. Mine also makes the slight whining sound at those revs, which I simply put down to the fact that its because the engine is right behind you and you can hear every noise it makes. If it was in the front of the car, and made such noises, youd never hear them, and probably wouldnt worry about them.

Mine makes all kinds of whining, pops, clicks and things Id never heard before from a front-engined car. Its fascinating being in there with it! I wouldnt worry about any minor noises, unless you notice some major problems with the engine, clutch or gearbox.

Other things wrong with mine were air intake gauze deformed on drivers side (though easily repaired with a pair of pliers), stone chips, cracked foglight, and it also had had at least 1 coil replaced.

The other thing Im told to watch are the bushes, which the mk1 apparently wears through every 15-20,000 miles.

Im loving mine - finding it a surprisingly easy car to live with!

Cheers,

Dave

clio v6

the exhaust is from K-tec and the rear lights are from Renault...40 quid each.

hope that helps...i love mine...even with its niggles..

Alex

Quote: Originally posted by Rennie on 25 April 2005

All of the Genuine Ranault MkII lights fit (ebay will cost around £35 for the pair - or put a wanted add on here) The wiring needs to be changed - straight forward job - the connectors come out the plugs and you just put them in the right order - there is aguide on here somewhere.

Or you could get Rennie (Simon) to give you a hand eh Si :D :D

Cya Stu

Evo MR FQ300 & Clio V6

You could do but my rates are HUGE!!!:) , (Legal part) "any electrical fires that may result as an after effect of my tinkering are not coverd under my 120 second warranty" ;)
Stu:
Let me know when you are next up this way and we will get them sorted. :D

Will do Simon...............I just need to get them first.................which might be in the next couple of hours :cool:

Cya Stu

Anyone ever done a clear engine cover for the vee?

I think its somewhat a waste not to show the engine given its so atypical for it to appear in the passenger cabin.

Evo MR FQ300 & Clio V6

I am tempted to do this for the sole reason that since I got the car I seem to be removing it every other second to show people whats underneath, if it was clear then it would save me time ;)

Would probably only get one the same dimensions as the black hatch and use speed bolts.

Will maybe ask a local sign/plastics company to quote.