ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 on fire.... Again

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I can't believe they were risking their lives trying to put it out!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I dont see why they gave up on it, they almost had it out at 5mins, if they just kept spraying it a bit longer the heat would have dropped and it probably would have not started up again.

Must have been on a hot lap :eek:

Not a nice thing to happen :(

I dont see why they gave up on it, they almost had it out at 5mins, if they just kept spraying it a bit longer the heat would have dropped and it probably would have not started up again.

Infinite ammo fire extinguishers?

Lionel Richie
well i doubt its caused by fuel as the fuel lines are out of the way, but the fuel system does hold at 50psi even when the car is off which won't help if there's a fire, takes about an hour for it to bleed off the pressure. but again saying that it does just use all push fit connectors on the fuel system = 1 hooky connector = bye bye (i had a fuel leak on mine not long ago)

when i blew the diff up it dumped all 3L of box oil straight onto the exhaust, luckily the car had only been pottering along for 10min when it happened, if the exhaust was glowing (and believe me they GLOW!) it would've been curtains, i just got a lot of smoke!

Renaultsport Clio V6
so gutted to see this!!

just showed some one at work, where is the oil line in relation to the exhaust? they recon is looked like an oil fire

This or an electrical fire caused by the engine bay heat.

Lionel Richie
what oil lines! eveything is internal on that engine/box, only external hydralics is the PAS but that's out the way too

Clio 172
Now I know f**k all about car fires, tracks in general, and fires at track days. Unless the track knew from the outset that it was beyond saving, they done a s**t job. The driver looked like he was shouting at them at one point. From what I saw, they drove that big van over there, which had what 2 extinguishers in it? Then they waited for what seems an age for the kart to bring another 2-3. Poor play on their behalf IMO.

I would of thought they would of had a cheapo old fire engine of some sort for exactly this scenario.

Did he remove the engine cover half way? Couldn't quite make it out, the owner seemed the only one that wanted to stop it.

Poor guy

BMW M135i
The trouble with an engine bay fire on a Vee is access, how they used the extinguishers was useless they need to be put directly onto the fire. Would you risk removing the engine covers and have it blow up in your face? I don't think I would.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
would they have had a better chance at containing/putting out the fire if they closed the boot and blasted the engine through the doors, side vents and under the rear bumper? or is it a case of when these things want to go, they go?

such a shame :(

fred, pics of glowing vee exhaust?

Lionel Richie
not the backbox LOL the manifolds/cats/downpipes alll glow like a tw*t!

you can't really see it here, but here's a pic
engineout2.jpg

engineout.jpg

Last edited:
  Suzuki Swift Sport
What a shame! isn't there a risk of explosion? I wouldn't have been too keen stood so close to it!

Black Sheep
The track would be very badly damaged also. Cant understand how the track people just let it burn like that.

A couple of buckets of water would have sorted it.:approve:

Evo
The trouble with an engine bay fire on a Vee is access, how they used the extinguishers was useless they need to be put directly onto the fire. Would you risk removing the engine covers and have it blow up in your face? I don't think I would.

In short yes i would lol...

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
think if i ever own one, i will plumb a fire ex kit in all around the bay. hit the switch and hope the fucker goes out.

gutted another has gone tho :(

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Been in a car that decided fire was it's ending. Scary situation.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Was it Michael J Fox doing the filming? How hard is it to hold a camera still FFS.

Clio
must be absolutely gutting, i know its only a car, but you do become attached to cars. i remember when i was 12, my dad's calibra went up just as we got out, i was crying my eyes out watching it burn! haha

172 cup
As said, seems like at first they were looking for the source of the smoke. Almost like they thought it was a burst rad pipe or popped engine. Took them ages to actually take action.

That must be absolutely gutting to watch your pride and joy go up in flames, standing right next to it, knowing there's nothing you can do about it :(