ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vague Steering and Creaking

I have just purchased a 172 on an 03 plate and my steering points to 1 o'clock when driving straight. I have had the tracking checked using lasers and all is fine. My car pulls to the left when the wheel is held at twelve o'clock, I have had everything checked and nothing is bent, but the car car feels extremely weird when braking. the steering wheel pulls lef but car goes right, I also have a really bad creaking sound from the left front side. I have had the brakes checked and they are not binding so this eliminates a binding caliper. Any Ideas, I don't even like driving the car at the moment!!!

Cheers Tim

Get it checked elsewhere.

As for the noises check the top mount (most likly work) also check the bottom ball joint and both ARB and wisbone bushes for wear also check the top mount isn't catching on the strut top under the bonnet

Best idea to get tracking done is a back street garage with not the most advanced tools. Most delaerships with all the lazers in the world cannot track a car for toffee I can do a better job with a set of verniers and string.

I'd never take a car to a main delaer to get tracked. Few know what there on about its not difficult to do just difficult do do correctly with soem sort of attention to detail.

Get the brakes bled as well if they havn't already.

Thanks for the advice. Had the car checked again today. Found that one of the lower arm bolts had come loose. When the bolt was taken out and checked the thread ws knackered through over tightening. New bolt should hopefully solve bazar steering sensation. As for the creaking. this is apparently coming from the steering rack, any ideas/solutions?

Thanks again.

Checked that the rack is tightened to the sub frame and it is. Thanks for the direction though.

How much did it cost for new strut bearings and are these easy to fit, did you use genuine renault ones?

clio 172 cup
The creaking will be the track rod ends are dry and worn out. Cheap enough job to sort. It will just sound like its the steering rack as sound travels up the arm.

To be sure, remove the wheel, hold the TRE in your hand and get someone to waggle the steering. You should feel the creak from it.

Daz

Deja vu 182
had the top bearing s replaced under warranty by renault , only creaked on or near full lock . creaking made worse by bumps . definately sorted my problem .:D

The creaking will be the track rod ends are dry and worn out. Cheap enough job to sort. It will just sound like its the steering rack as sound travels up the arm.

To be sure, remove the wheel, hold the TRE in your hand and get someone to waggle the steering. You should feel the creak from it.

Daz
Cheers , I'll try that this weekend.