ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vague steering Steering Tightening

ford focus
Ok Recently bought a clio 2002 model it is great car but has a couple of issues the steering sometimes feels vague you turn the steering wheel and nothing happens for a bit feels strange. Sometimes the steering will feel heavier in different places of the steering range. Last mot had advisory of inner steering rack joint could that be the cause of this? Occasionally over pot holes get a knock from the front of the car when the car is turning not in a straight line only when cornering. I would be very grateful for any advice on these issues. The car is a 2002 1.2 16 valve dynamique Mot is due in july But I would prefer to get these issues sorted as son as possible I love driving the car but these issues detract from the overall driving experience.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Worn inner joints can cause some vagueness in the steering yes.

I think from memory you should have electronic power steering? If so a worn steering motor would give you variations in the resistance on the steering wheel, its not the only possible symptom but it's one I'd get checked first

ford focus
Thanks for all replies Tyre pressures are correct. I have decided I will get garage to carry out full inspection of all of the suspension and power steering system and get what is needed replaced. I have also been told I should get the tracking checked after they have changed the suspension components. Will get that done and 4 new tyres. The tyres on car are all legal but tread depths are different. While car is in garage for this will have a full service carried out. Any tips for stopping the sunroof from creaking? It does not leak but seems to make creaking sounds all the time.