ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Cam's/pully's

1.8 Civic EX
Ok so...is it worth getting cams/pullies and a chip done on a valver? Just wondering as I think the cambelt will need doing next year so maybe if I have all the cam's belts a pullies done now. Anyone recomed any good "packages"? Where to get them from/fitted? OR shall I just save my money and go for a 182 or meg 225 next year???!!?!

I had it done and yes, you'll get a power increase. However, if i had my chance again i'd have a flowed head fitted at the same time to make the most of it. You don't get the same noticeable improvement with just cams as say you would with doing the same to a 2ltr...its "all or nothing" with the 1.8 IMO.

I had piper cams with kent pullies in mine. Hillpower packages are Piper too...

Audi TT 225
Cams yes, pulleys no! They are a total waste of money if you as me!
If your buying performance Cams then they SHOULD be machined to time perfectly with standard pulleys!!! Why would you spend all that money on Cams if you need adjustable pulleys to make them time correctly???
Aluminium isn't the strongest substance on the planet and if they break then thats your whole engine gone! Its not like your going to see them anyway.
Use your money on something more worth while like getting your fly wheel ballenced and lightened.

1.8 Civic EX
so uprated cams and a lightend/balanced fly wheel. could be interesting. anyone got more info on the flywheel. prices? places that will do it?? call me stupid but what would be the advantage of doing this to the flywheel??

RichMcc said:
Cams yes, pulleys no! They are a total waste of money if you as me!
If your buying performance Cams then they SHOULD be machined to time perfectly with standard pulleys!!! Why would you spend all that money on Cams if you need adjustable pulleys to make them time correctly???
Aluminium isn't the strongest substance on the planet and if they break then thats your whole engine gone! Its not like your going to see them anyway.
Use your money on something more worth while like getting your fly wheel ballenced and lightened.

You'll be hard pressed to find ANY cam grinders that will offer the accuracy to run the std pullies (which themselves are inaccurate) for the money you pay. Even my cams require verniers simply because the std pullies give massively different timing figures.

The F4R gets away with it because the cam pulleys do not have any pulley dowels and you lock the cams relative to the engine and put the pulleys on last.

I agree with U33db, a flowed head makes a good diff on a 1.8 because the std machining in the port is very poor. Flywheel doesnt do too much and makes the idle on cams very hard to sustain.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
ben u got the verniers in for the williams yet? i need more power from my williams asap! regarding the head work are the gains not as much for the 2.0 compared to the 1.8?

the gains on the 1.8 are larger because the head is machined worse. But mods on the 2ltr reward similar gains because the valves are larger and the capacity higher...so kinda evens them out.

ANd the pullies are a nats privates from being finished.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
nice one, like i said pm when ready ive decided on the cams plus the pulleys for maximum gains. cant wait.

1.8 Civic EX
fair play. Ben, do you know of a good set of cams and pullies to get then? Also the head flowing. prices and places??

Audi TT 225
fly wheel will set you back about 80 bucks and wont give you more power but will seriously improve your acceleration.

I'll agree to disagree on the pulleys, saving a few grams on a pulley wont do jack imo ;)

GRAND PRIX CLIO
Have you got an exhaust manifold ? power gain 15-25BHP and ive had a piper cross cam +pulleys fitted and the head all ported and polished and boy dose she go!!(all work was done at HILLPOWER)Ive also had a compatition clutch which helps

1.8 Civic EX
surely everyone has an exhaust manifold??? ;) I do have a 4-2-1 manifold yes along with "performace" cat, ss exhaust and an induction kit. there is no way just the manifold adds 15-25bhp, it does feel a little more pokey when ya floor it but not 15bhp woth of pokey!!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Think he is getting at cams etc giving that kind of improvement with breathing mods of new manifold or exhaust but could be wrong.

On the flywheel debate, think I remember a lot of revieres of the Civic Type R attributing some of the performance improvements when all they actually did was lighten the flywheel when it got revamped. Again could be wrong but I do think I read that somewhere.