ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

valver column question...

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Im getting a bad knocking noise when turning right and it looks to be related to my knackered steering column. The rubber boot at the bottom i can move from side to side and near enough replicate the noise im getting when turning. Im no mechanic and wouldnt really want to take apart my dash to fit a replacement but Renault want £150+Vat anyway!

Ive heard from various people that they can be welded up? if i was to take my valver to a garage and ask them to weld it up what do i need to explain needs welding exactly?

Dan

well, for a start - i would say the £150 is actually a pretty good price especially when its work that is going to be covered by some sort of warranty.

However, welding things back up as it were is never the best thing to do in my opinion - personally i would take it to renault and let them do it - or get it to a garage making sure that their work is covered by some sort of warranty.

What makes you so certain its the steering column?