ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

valver gearbox problem!

Bmw M4 & Clio 16v

I am having trouble with me valver gearbox. i have just taken the engine out of the car and had it overhauled etc and now have put it back on gone to connect the link bar. i do not seem to get the car into gear? only reverse! all of the gears seem to be rock solid and the clutch is so soft its hardly pulling!

Experts help!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you may have knocked the gearbox in gear when you moving it around. if your a bit rough with the box when fitting it you can cause a selector to drop into gear. this will then prevent you from selecting gears as plunger mechanism prevents the selection of two gears at the sametime. if you remove the 5th gear housing you can see the selector rod ends and see if one of them is in gear. can you remove the cover and post a pic of the selectors?

If you can only get it in reverse then it might just be a selector/linkage problem.

And since the clutch is soft, im not sure youve done that properly either.

really cant say though.

when you dissconnected the gerachange linkage rod, did you detach it at the end or did you undo the pinch bolt and remove it there, cause if you did you might have lost the correct adjustment on this. This could be another reason it wont go into forward gear if it wasnt put back in same position

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

good point. did you undo the 13m pinch bolt on the linkage or the 13m bolt behind the gaitor on the gear linkage just below the gearbox. you should undo the one behind the gaitor. if you undo the other one then you have to adjust the linkage back up.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if its completly jammed then it sounds like its fell into gear when you were fitting it back in the car.

Bmw M4 & Clio 16v

but the car moves around freely when you push it and the clutch is completly spongy? im so confused about it just need to get some technical help!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if you undo the gear linkage can you select any gears by using the gearbox selector arm itself?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

it sounds like a selector has fell into gear maybe when you were fitting the box or whilst it was being transported. remove the metal gearbox end cover so you can see the selector shaft ends. post a pic of it so i can look at their position.