ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Just Broke Down - Help!

Just got a lift back to mine from a very kind man who helped me push the 16v off the country lane it decided to die along.

Basically I was coming out of a T-Junction from a standing start, and itd initially pointed myself in the wrong direction.
I was on full left lock to correct this, and pulled away pretty gently - - BANG BANG BANG - the car wasnt going anywhere.

I straightened up and the car got drive from somewhere for a second, then lost it again.. and I slowly coasted to a halt.

Basically I can have it in any gear, any revs - the car is going nowhere.

Driveshaft I assume? Do they just randomly pop out of their own free will? Can I just go back and try to pop it back in again?

Please help I cant be arsed with more garage bills (which is where the AA will take it if I get them out)

[Edited by riplash on 11 May 2004 at 8:59pm]

sounds like a driveshaft to me, u might be able to push it back in to get u along ur way, but it wont last long.... i mean might be enough to get u home, might not, def needs replacing if it is ur driveshaft...

Great fun.. thought as much.

Why would it just pop out though?!

Anyone in/around Billericay/Brentwood/Basildon/Chelmsford want to come and give me a tow home?

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Ask the stranger if he has a phone you could borrow? hehe, id never leave the car :confused:

hehe cheers for the offer ! :)

Just rang my breakdown people theyre going to tow it back here - have to go and sit tight for them in the dark on my own now!!

You home yet dude?????

Gutted for you mate, bloody cars are nowt but trouble!!

If its drive shafts should you still be able to move but will only be 1 wheel drive??

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

sounds like the retaining circlip has popped out of the diff or a driveshaft has collasped. have a visual look at the shafts and if they look ok remove the n/s driveshaft. if you look in the hole for the n/s driveshaft in the gearbox you can see the diff. you will probably find that a large circlip has popped out and the diff centre has come adrift. get a new circlip,push the diff centre back into mesh (push it in until you feel it lock on the teeth) and fit the new circlip. there may also be a washer so dont forget to fit that back before the circlip.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 11 May 2004

You home yet dude?????

Gutted for you mate, bloody cars are nowt but trouble!!

If its drive shafts should you still be able to move but will only be 1 wheel drive??
you cant drive with one shaft as due to the diff design the diff transfers all the power to the broken side and you get no drive.

Just got home, tow truck took time to arrive, when it finally came it was a bloody giant flatbed truck!!

Ill have the car jacked up tomorrow and try and work out whats gone on.

I dont think the shaft died, as they have been replaced fairly recently in the cars life.

would guess at a cv or as jay said in the box very much doubt shafts will come out off box unless roll pin has sheared on drivers side you really must off been on full lock to get it to go ?

Was on totally full left lock.

Bonus is Direct Line Breakdown will pay for a flatbed to take it to a garage of my choice too, so if its not a quick fix I wont be shelling out massive amounts just shifting the car.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 12 May 2004

id rather change the DS mate!!!!
Well, slightly, erm, longer items were on the cards anyway - so perhaps now is the time for all of that to be fitted. :)

could be an engine mount...as movement in the engine would pull the driveshafts out.

the mount on top of mthe gearbox broke on one of my cars with the same results , and that was just after a full lock manouerver. It was the actual casting of the mount that broke and not the rubber.

Ok cheers David, got a list of things to look at tomorrow now - and thats before Ive even investigated the other strange noises.

Do you ever you wish youd just been sensible and bought a car that was still under warranty? :mad:

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 12 May 2004

Well, slightly, erm, longer items were on the cards anyway - so perhaps now is the time for all of that to be fitted. :)
Are you doing what i think you are? :D