ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver top end???

Clio 16V
went for a top speed run last night (naughty i know) and must say i am a bit confused :S She puled like a train in 1st to 4th (110mph in 4th) but then when i put her in 5th she stopped pulling and struggled to get past 115mph! I know the book speed on her is 130mph but it didnt even seem to get close. The engine is good as it was dyno'd @ 141bhp only 3 weeks ago so not down on power.

Its currently running 16" rims with 195/50 tyres (naff i know but only had it about a month and new wheels still aint arrived :mad: )

Could this have something to do with it?

Cheers for your help people

kev:clown:

You'll be gouing faster than indicated with the tyres. But, some valvers are dog slow others are really quick, my 19's 1st engine would pull to the limiter in 5th(147mph), and do 6.7 0-60's but the second engine would only do 130 if it was downhill!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Even a poorly valver should pull 130 on the dials...I'd get yours down the garage lol

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
My 2.0l hits the limiter in no time. My 1.8 wouldnt but still wasnt shy!

Picture002.gif

Clio 16V
Martin. said:
Even a poorly valver should pull 130 on the dials...I'd get yours down the garage lol

thats my point chap, it aint poorly lol Its got 87,000 miles on the clock, made 141bhp on the rollers with only a back box and K&N. so the engine is nice and strong. To be honest it felt a lot faster than 115 but how much would the wheel and tyre size be putting the speedo out?

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
my first renault 19 16v would still be pulling at 135 but my second one felt piss poor at about 115 and wouldnt pull anymore... both on same road aswell. my clio pulls well, but havent bothered with top end at the moment, never like going too quick in cars, lost a bit of confidence after the crash! i know its frustrating though when the car wont go quick, i was racing a 1.6 16v meganne and it was catching up because it had a bigger top end!

Valver
My valver pulls all the way to 120+, had the speedo reading 135 downhill at one point (all on my private 10 mile drive of course)

Renault ChaVio
At nearly 90k I'd of expected a 10 year old Renault hot hatch engine to be a bit down on power but if the car checked out OK on the rollers could it not just be a faulty speedo?

I run out of road too quickly at the moment with mine. Having a bit of troble finding the space to do much past 140mph. I'm itching to have a shot at 160.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
If the K&N is a cone it may be suffering heat soak at those speeds causing the car to slow. Most probably isn't but it's an idea.

Part of the problem might be you are flooring the accelerator pedal. It's been widely discussed the best way to achieve the top speed it to be very progressive on the throttle.

I've only done 135mph in my valver but I wasn't flooring the pedal til close to 130mph....

Also, as said, the K&N probably isn't helping....

FULL FAT 182
managed to clock 135 easy on my car, but it was owned for 8 1/2 years by a woman 56k on the clock, i bet it was the time the engine worked that hard lol:)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i have only ever taken mine to 110....really want to go a bit more but don't particularly like the ideas of the points

my friend siad he has got 135 out of his on 17's....

535d / t5 caravelle
my old valver was about 160bhp ish, and would pull 140 mph on the speedo, everyday all day long, god i miss that car :(

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
f7r is the willy engine yes....19 box is the same as the clio16v bar slightly different mountings I have one in my hybrid.

bill said:
my old valver was about 160bhp ish, and would pull 140 mph on the speedo, everyday all day long, god i miss that car :(

Interesting, mines 160bhp ish on 16"s too, only pulled 135mph because I had to slow down but I knew she could do more, just wondered how much more.....

535d / t5 caravelle
yeah used to see it on regular occassions on my midnight run over to my mates in blackpool

Clio 182
Ive hit the limiter in 5th before, down quite a steep hill mind. Valvers are crap in general top end, lose puff around 115/120ish

renault clio 1.8 16v
had mine up 140 mph and it was still pulling got scared tho lol as car was starting to shake, had it rolling roaded at power engineering 152bhp they said it will do 150 tho ...:approve:

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
You thought about changing the fuel filter mate?? The engne will need the most fuel supply in 5th at over 100MPH and if it's blocked it may be starving it

Freebone said:
i have only ever taken mine to 110....really want to go a bit more but don't particularly like the ideas of the points

my friend siad he has got 135 out of his on 17's....

that car will go a lot faster than that!! ive got some wicked pics somewhere, it really will just pull and pull like a train!!!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
ivegota16v said:
that car will go a lot faster than that!! ive got some wicked pics somewhere, it really will just pull and pull like a train!!!

hiya mate

hows you, yeah i expect it will, it does excelerate dam well but i haven't given it til top end for the reasons above... i may test it at the next airfield day...i should pop over and see you at some point mate..so you can see the motor and i can see the tvr..

Freebone said:
hiya mate

hows you, yeah i expect it will, it does excelerate dam well but i haven't given it til top end for the reasons above... i may test it at the next airfield day...i should pop over and see you at some point mate..so you can see the motor and i can see the tvr..

yeah it was unlike any other valver i tried, it just pulls and pulls!! such a great car!! The TVR is going well now, just got it back from a massive service and upgrade session involving Nitron custom made suspension, upgraded brakes all round (drilled, groved etc) new higher lift cams, and basically a top end rebuild and rolling road session! got to run it in for 1000 miles now, no more than 4k revs but that will still light the tyres up in the dry in second/third when it hits that!!! cant do much milleage this kind of weahter!

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
The Lad with 18's on his valver who came to one of the airfield days we had reckoned it stopped pulling @ 110mph!

Clio Mk1 Hybrid
wasnt there an issue a while that i heard that some valvers had lower pressure fuel pumps?? this would cause top end power loss surely?? my old valver used to pull around to the 142@7000rpm limiter, one i got now went to 145 once but struggles for 135 now :S

Dave

Audi TT 225 Quattro
my old 1.8 eng would do 142mph on the std rims, never tried it with the 17's on. had the 2.0l to 130mph with 17's and still pulling like a train:S