ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver - Turbo vs Nos

Firstly which one of the above would you suggest, and Y?

and secondly my valver is a J reg and all that has been done to it is a reactive induction kit. To have either of the above what would I need to get done to the car, to make sure its ready/safe to take the increase in speed?

well one is £7500+ and the other is maybe £500quid??

Using NOS on the roads is illegal(not illegal to have it but illegal to use it) but will give you quick rushes of adrenaline but for monster torque and power the turbo is the best way to go but really depends on your disposable income and how long your expecting to keep the car?

its illegal to use it on the public highways mate. U can use it on the air strip, quarter mile strip etc etc but not on public roads.

N2O will give you a LOT more torque than a turbo and its cheaper to run, to install and to insure, but then its not there all the time.

BMW 320d Sport

Well Ive done both so I reckon I know whats what. Turbo expensive but its always there. Nitrous cheap to buy and fit. But expensive to keep running it and tricky to set up right but is a blast when its running smooth. Last time I filled up with gas it was £55 to fill my 11lb bottle and that would last a days quarter miling just. On the road it used to last me a couple of weeks once you get over the excitement at first!

BTW It is perfectly legal to run it on the road as long as your insurance company know of it. However AFAIK the only legal stumbling block is carrying the bottle around without the two warning diamonds displayed on the back of the car - oxidiser and compressed gas. Strictly speaking you need not be licensed in any way to carry industrial gas bottles, but you should show warning diamonds on the back of your vehicle. There is no law prohibiting the use of N2O on a road cars engine. It is just a compressed liquid that breaks down to 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen in the cylinders. And if theres a law that says injecting nitrogen and oxygen (which are the two main constituents of atmospheric air) into your engine is not allowed, Id like to see it!

Nicks perfectly right, its completely legal - assuming your insured for it, but then that gos for any mod in theory.

BBtuning want around £5k for a turbo mod, Ktec want less for a lower boost i think...

Id have the turbo but then moneys the issue.

Not sure about the stickers on the back of the car that sounds quite feasable, over a certain vlume you would certainly be goverened by ADR style licensing that affects lorry drivers, dont think a 11lb bottle would be enough to breach that.

BMW 320d Sport

Fair enough Paul...I guess the only way to find out for sure is to get pulled with a couple of 11lb bottles in the boot and see what happens! Thinking logically, the reason why the warning diamonds are there is if youre in a crash or an emergency and its important people know you have compressed gas cylinders, and the contents of those cylinders, in your boot? So would the regulations apply no matter how small the cylinders? Then again I suppose you dont have to declare cans of deoderant or hairspray or anything do yoU?

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by pete bann on 06 June 2003

its illegal to use it on the public highways mate. U can use it on the air strip, quarter mile strip etc etc but not on public roads.

Wrong! I told you! do some research before relying on pub gossip!;)

Yeah nick i was sort of agreeing with you I think!!

Like you say in a accident the fire service would certainly want to know its in there, and more than likely that would make the situation go from bad to very serious ( if any kind of fire breaks out). ultimately ifyou have a smash and ur worse for wear then its better the fire service know its there and get it out, so warning stickers seem a very good plan either way.

I personally like the idea of NOS but am not overkeen on riding round with a bomb in the boot, ive seen it somewhere where a nitrous bottle was mounted above a exhaust and parked overnite in a garage - heated it up pressure had nowhere to go and blew the bloody garage to bits. sod that!!!!

i apologise aaronc!!!!! ill admit i was wrong, it was something someone told me and they were so adamant that i believed what they were saying! ah, nevermind!

if youve got 5k sittin at home that u dont need then get the turbo.if not get the nos.

really if it was me i would sit and have a good fink,how long are you going to keep the car?cos u aint gona get the £ back when u come to sell it but if u get the use out of it you can warrant spending that much.

its dont to you id go for nos