ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very good Trophy review in Evo this month

106 GTi

Mines just dropped through the door, just about toave a read ow.

Also Astra VXR, Golf GTi, v Megane Trophy Review in there, plus a few other hot hatch bits.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Very good when they do this.I like the way they say theres a 3 wheel clio looming in the mirror,even though the M6 is being thrashed round a tight italian road

Could this be the best hatch ever then.I bet lee and a few others are happy with their purchases.

ian

hhhhhmmmm *trophy spec dampers and custom springs* *scratches chin* might have have a little chat with Lee and get a go in his see how it drives.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

There very expensive.They cost 10 times the original price for standard 182 spec

ian

i know a man ;) Besides im currently trying to decide whether to go and see LEDA about a custom coilover kit want more adjustment than the GAZ are giving me.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i think the trophy is amazing but I honestly couldnt tell any difference from my cupped 182. I must have a good 182 I guess but there was nothing to make me change.

Sorry. I know others think the difference is amazing but I couldnt come to the same conclusion.

This is obviously all in my opinion which many of you wont agree with but my advice is to take a test drive yourself, especially if you get a chance to try one on track to see if you think it is worth losing all of the toys.

The seats were also ok but I dont have a single problem with the normal seats, there are perfect for me, I guess I fill them better than most.

But back on topic, I cant wait to see this EVO, I love it, great magazine.

Elise/VX220/R26

There are a number of things that worry me about evo. The main one is to do with renault, as Evo were apparently "involved" in development of the meg trophy/cup and I think also the trophy clio. Now can Evo still be impartial after they have done this? They are hardly going to say that the changes are barely noticable when they have previously run an article bragging about being invited to france with renault to work on the cars!

Also I think Evo tend to jump on the bandwagon. The 172 barley made an impact on Evo but when they caught on and the 182 was rteleased suddenly its the most incredible hatch since the williams! The same has happened with the 225 they give the trophy 4 stars originally but now they are catching on a bit they give the cup 4 1/2 stars but its the same car!!

I do like Evo and I subscribe to it but I wouldnt let their reviews influence my decision wether to buy a car. I might use it as a reference to come up with a shortlist but thats it. I think Evo are really getting like the Heat magazine of the car world. Maybe they will get invited to Japan to a susuki development meeting and this time next year it will be the Suzuki swift thats the best thing since the williams?

Disclaimer *I am not saying the trophy is anything but the finest clio ever produced please put the pitch forks away*

Mine just came through the door - was quite a good review.

Now I just have to sell a kidney and a couple of limbs to be able to afford one lol

Cupped 182 with Milltek

Must admit I too subscribe to EVO,and I drew up my shortlist on personal opinion and also EVOs remarks!I had never (sorry) considered a Renault having had a Scoob and various V.A.G cars.But after the Car of the Year result for the 182 coincided with my Golf smacking the sump fo the road for the 3rd time in 15000 miles I gave one a go!I was looking at the Leon Cupra R and the CTR but got the Clio with the Cup packs.Lived up to EVOs claims,stunning little car,and a perfect shopping trolley for a wife whos not a confident driver!(never finds the 5000rpm trigger lol).

Clio Cup

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 30 July 2005

I do like Evo and I subscribe to it but I wouldnt let their reviews influence my decision wether to buy a car. I might use it as a reference to come up with a shortlist but thats it. I think Evo are really getting like the Heat magazine of the car world. Maybe they will get invited to Japan to a susuki development meeting and this time next year it will be the Suzuki swift thats the best thing since the williams?

Disclaimer *I am not saying the trophy is anything but the finest clio ever produced please put the pitch forks away*

I drove an ignis sport (new version of the swift i think) on eibachs and thought it was excellent for a 7 grand new car, good handling and nice motor.

Clio Cup

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 30 July 2005

i think the trophy is amazing but I honestly couldnt tell any difference from my cupped 182. I must have a good 182 I guess but there was nothing to make me change.

Sorry. I know others think the difference is amazing but I couldnt come to the same conclusion.

This is obviously all in my opinion which many of you wont agree with but my advice is to take a test drive yourself, especially if you get a chance to try one on track to see if you think it is worth losing all of the toys.

Maybe that particular trophy was hammered so much on track resulting in it performing badly. I know my mates 182 thats had constant hard use handles like its pulling a caravan and feels like it weighs twice as much.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Richy123 on 30 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 30 July 2005i think the trophy is amazing but I honestly couldnt tell any difference from my cupped 182. I must have a good 182 I guess but there was nothing to make me change.

Maybe that particular trophy was hammered so much on track resulting in it performing badly. I know my mates 182 thats had constant hard use handles like its pulling a caravan and feels like it weighs twice as much.

doubt it, I drove it right at the beginning of the day and it was new, other people said it was great, i just didnt.

oh and mine has had a life of tracks, it was one of the first 182s and has been on loads of track days and is still fine, doubt it could even feel like its pulling a caravan of double the weight, your mates has probaby got a fault, the clio loves the track.
[Edited by dave182 on 7/30/2005 3:33:56 PM]

Elise/VX220/R26

my 172 got hammered for 21 thousand miles and it was only just run in, I doubt weather the trophy was hammered on track would make a jot of difference unless it had 20k of it

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Jonnyboy.When the 172 was released it took on lots of cars in the mag like the leon and ctr and won both for all round fun and ability.They then took a mk 1 on for a year and a mk2 after that and drew there conclusions,like the 4k rattle and all the stuff weve been used too.

To say the 172 never made an impact on evo is a bit wrong imho

ian

Clio Cup

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 30 July 2005

doubt it, I drove it right at the beginning of the day and it was new, other people said it was great, i just didnt.

oh and mine has had a life of tracks, it was one of the first 182s and has been on loads of track days and is still fine, doubt it could even feel like its pulling a caravan of double the weight, your mates has probaby got a fault, the clio loves the track.
[Edited by dave182 on 7/30/2005 3:33:56 PM]

Yeah your right there is definately something wrong with my mates car, it doesnt feel right. The engine feels sluggish and it doesnt handle as well as mine did.

Lee

BMW M2C

I subscribed to Evo a few weeks ago so hopefully mine will arrive next week.

I was talking to the Renault Press guy about this the other week. Evo have had the Trophy for a good while now, its just they missed there deadline to get it in last months issue.

Evo had a little to do with the Trophy, but only in the fact that they were asked what they thought, and was it too hard stiff for British roads.

Jonnyboy, Evo loved the Mk1 172. Ive got an issue of it where they had the first Magnex every fitted to the one that had and where thrashing it on track. Richard Meaden has been a long time fan of the Clio. The Mk2 172 came out at an odd time and did miss out on a lot of press I reckon. I didnt know it really existed back then. lol

Im still over the moon with mine. David is the only person I know who owns a 172/182/Cup who has said it doesnt handle any better. Everyone I spoke to at Oulton Park said it was a definate improvement, which I believe it is. But as I said to one of the guys at the time, Id not have swapped if it werent for the F & F discount, as the other models are all fantastic.

Lee.

106 GTi

Quote: The Mk2 172 came out at an odd time and did miss out on a lot of press I reckon. I didnt know it really existed back then. lol

EVO had the 172 Cup on long term test for a while at the time which they liked.

Elise/VX220/R26

That was my point though the p2 172 the normal one didnt get anything like the attention the 182 got but yet it was very popular with the buying public, Evo latched onto this and made sure to be right on the bandwagon when the 182 came out. Despite bieng the same car with silly exhausts on its a williams beater??? I never read Evo before I bought my 172 so I cant comment on the mk1 172 but the mk2 passed well under the Evo radar.

Lee

BMW M2C

Yeah, I agree with the fact that the Mk2 172 went relatively un noticed. The chassis changes were quite minor though compared to that of the 172 Cup, 182 and Trophy.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

182 was a large revision parts wise.

huge list of stuff changed. 172 cup was arguably "lazy" of renault in terms of new part development.

Clio 182

Excellent review on the clio, great pictures too. Was anyone else a bit disapointed at the VXR stats? it was a lot slower than I thought it would be to 100/120 etc.

VaVa

That was my point though the p2 172 the normal one didnt get anything like the attention the 182 got but yet it was very popular with the buying public, Evo latched onto this and made sure to be right on the bandwagon when the 182 came out. Despite bieng the same car with silly exhausts on its a williams beater??? I never read Evo before I bought my 172 so I cant comment on the mk1 172 but the mk2 passed well under the Evo radar.
It featured in 4 road tests and they had a long termer. And they gave it four stars. Hardly un-noticed, but I agree they have made something of a fuss about the 182s. Probably because theyre and improvement on a car they already rated as being one of the best in its field, and thus deserving of all the praise.

And Trophy vs M6!! PMSL!!

There are a number of things that worry me about evo. The main one is to do with renault, as Evo were apparently "involved" in development of the meg trophy/cup and I think also the trophy clio. Now can Evo still be impartial after they have done this? They are hardly going to say that the changes are barely noticable when they have previously run an article bragging about being invited to france with renault to work on the cars!

They had nothing to do with the Clio Trophy before driving it for this months issue

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I thought the article was crap to be honest. They should have just had separate reviews of each car. Having said that, Evo has been a little strange over the last few months. Hopefully it will pick up again soon....

I think the relative lack of new performance cars is making it more difficult to write new and interesting articles.

The Jinx

I agree with Jonnyboy. I suspect evo arent entirely impartial in their verdicts. I buy evo more for the writing style and quality of photos than their ultimate verdict of a car.

Quote: Originally posted by Dan_mk1 on 31 July 2005

Excellent review on the clio, great pictures too. Was anyone else a bit disapointed at the VXR stats? it was a lot slower than I thought it would be to 100/120 etc.
Yeah I was, according to those stats it couldnt shake off a cup, let alone beat it down the 1/4 I assume they were wet stats?

Clio 182

Was heavier than I expected too, 1390kg iirc?!

Still with 240bhp, youd expect it to be a lot quicker than its rivals from 60-120 etc but it just wasnt.

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 01 August 2005

I agree with Jonnyboy. I suspect evo arent entirely impartial in their verdicts. I buy evo more for the writing style and quality of photos than their ultimate verdict of a car.
Why do you think that theyre not impartial ?

The Jinx

Because Ive been reading teh mag for many many years and thats the conclusion Ive drawn. Its not just towards renaults either.

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 01 August 2005

Because Ive been reading teh mag for many many years and thats the conclusion Ive drawn. Its not just towards renaults either.
An interesting conclusion. They love a Clio - so theyre not impartial towards Renault. However, in the same issue the Megane doesnt win.

The Jinx

Not just renault JT. And its only IMO. You cant tell me thought that if they get treated very well by a manufacturer they arent going to view the car more positiviely than maybe otherwise? Its human nature.

whats on the front of evo i picked one up today with a super car feature enzo + ferrari and carrera gt is this the one with the 182 trophy review ?(august)

106 GTi

Thats last months, the new issue has the M6 and Trophy on the front. Be out in the next day or so if you dont subscribe.