ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very good Trophy review in Evo this month

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

They do more tests of supercars than almost anything so i dont think they would be biased towards 1 15k hothatch

I think they believe its a great little car.

ian

Lets face it the trophy is a positive development of an EVO 5 star car, its a foregone conclusion they will love it and why shouldnt they it sounds ACE!

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 01 August 2005

Not just renault JT. And its only IMO. You cant tell me thought that if they get treated very well by a manufacturer they arent going to view the car more positiviely than maybe otherwise? Its human nature.
Yes, but if they were "well treated" by Renault, why dont Renaults win all their tests ?

The Jinx

Doesnt mean they arent completely impartial though. I mean if Renault treated them like sh*t Id expect their cars would get worse reviews.

Sorry but I havent seen anybody from evo during the test drive of the Trophy prototype in Abbeville and Les Ulis. I have seen Mr Jean Ragnotti and the usual in house test drivers, but not even an Englishman.
So Evo was certainly not involved in the car designing.

What is sure , is that the commercial definition ( especially the color and seats ) was made to match the English customers taste. Thats it. Now it could be that they where involved in this process, but I strongly doubt about it.
If theyre not impartial its for other reasons. Maybe they just love this car ?

[Edited by olin on 8/7/2005 9:33:18 AM]

[Edited by olin on 8/7/2005 9:36:10 AM]

R

rich[182]

sorry if maybe hijacking thread here but had interesting conversation tonight on a Trophy, washing car tonight and a guy on the end of our street who has an R32 said "Get rid of yours and get one of them Trophies"

Basically hed had a near right tussle with a Trophy on the twisties on his way back from Bridlington via Sledmere, Garaby Hill, Stamford Bridge heading to York

He said on the twisties he couldnt get anywhere near the damn thing and couldnt believe the pace and poise of the Trophy, he was beat.
Hes got Viper and Cat back on R32
Said he eventually took Trophy (not racing) on A64 near Tadcaster and pipped horn and nodded across
Said he was amazed with the Trophy
Ave it !!!!!!
I want one now LOL !!!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

I drove a Megane 225 with cup pack at the weekend for an hour, it really did spank my 172, I want one now lol.

not a clio anymore

Quote: Originally posted by Rick on 31 July 2005
I thought the article was crap to be honest. They should have just had separate reviews of each car. Having said that, Evo has been a little strange over the last few months. Hopefully it will pick up again soon....

I think the relative lack of new performance cars is making it more difficult to write new and interesting articles.

Finally someone with some senses. This artible was total pants.
The conclusion was:
if you have a trophy with a very very commited driver that has a good life insurance and a total tool driving the M6, all of that on a very very twisty section of B road, then maybe if the driver of the M6 forgets to press on the right pedal then the trophy will keep up.
Bad bad article. They should have been reviewed separately.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by nonos on 09 August 2005

The conclusion was:
if you have a trophy with a very very commited driver that has a good life insurance and a total tool driving the M6, all of that on a very very twisty section of B road, then maybe if the driver of the M6 forgets to press on the right pedal then the trophy will keep up.
I personally think the article was excellent. Yes youll all think I am biased anyway, but so much of what the article said about the car was spot on from my point of view after owning a Trophy for a few weeks.

It might seem an odd comparison, but the point of the article is to highlight that whatever your budget, theres someone building a car that can hold its own against more expensive, more powerful competition.

Of course the M6 is faster on anything other than a twisty road, but why shouldnt the Clio be able to compete in the twisties?

not a clio anymore

you are just blinded by the love of your own car ;)
I have no doubt that the trophy is an excellent car and that the quality they higlighted were right. It is just that having a comparison of the M6 and the Clio was nonsense. They do the eCOTY which makes sense, plenty of cars and plenty of drivers. Here the "Giant killer" what a lot of cr*p, sorry.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

I have no doubt that the trophy is an excellent car and that the quality they higlighted were right. It is just that having a comparison of the M6 and the Clio was nonsense. They do the eCOTY which makes sense, plenty of cars and plenty of drivers. Here the "Giant killer" what a lot of cr*p, sorry.

Agreed, the "Giant killer! Can Clio Trophy realy slay mighty M6?" on the front cover is a bit over the top, but its just an attention grabber, and its a question not a statement.

To me the actual article seems to be a balanced comparison of two very different but equally enjoyable cars. Its might seem nonsense to compare the two, but thats the whole point of the article IMO, to show that you can have just as much fun (in fact the review suggest more) in a 15k shopping cart as an 80k sports coupe.

Renaultsport 220T

And what car finished 2= in eCOTY last year???

:)

R

rich[182]

Quote: Originally posted by Nik on 09 August 2005

The conclusion was:
I personally think the article was excellent. Yes youll all think I am biased anyway, but so much of what the article said about the car was spot on from my point of view after owning a Trophy for a few weeks.

It might seem an odd comparison, but the point of the article is to highlight that whatever your budget, theres someone building a car that can hold its own against more expensive, more powerful competition.

Of course the M6 is faster on anything other than a twisty road, but why shouldnt the Clio be able to compete in the twisties?

Totally agree, think some have missed the point of the review, the review itself was very informative and straight to the point, far more informative than any of the dribble joke features you see on any tv car programme inc topgear where they basically tell you jack about the car, made a good change to compare to a different class of car too, the usual under £20k or hot-hatch 5 page articles are ten to a penny imo

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by hyby on 09 August 2005

who deleted my pics? :(
if the pics are of the inside pages of a published magazine then for copyright reasons they would have been removed, thats the only reason I can think of.

Quote: Originally posted by Nik on 09 August 2005

I agree with that, I wonder if people are missing the point here?

From all I have the trophy is an excellent handling car and on tight twisty roads will keep up with an over weight BMW, however on all other type roads (and BMW should take off their speed limiter) the BMW would win, after all it has huge amounts of torque and 115bhp per tonne more..... :)

Simon