ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very loud clunk noise at startup

Hi

Sorry for posting in the wrong section but I need some advice.

I was wondering if any of you have had this problem with you RS Clio before and what the problem and solutions might be.

At startup after a few days of not driving the car i notice that when i try to move the car in reverse or 1st it feels like the car is stuck. i.e. it feels like something is stuck under the wheels or the car is jammed against the kerb though there is nothing blocking the movement of the car.

So when i give it more revs or let the clutch out a bit more a very loud clunk noise comes from the back end perhaps the right side, i'm not sure, and the car starts to move as normal.

Its not the same slight noise of the ABS test that comes from the front left and is about 10 times louder than that noise.

I've booked into get it checked under warranty since its only 3 months i've had the car from new.

Does any one have any thoughts?

Cheers

Wan

I was thinking that and checked the light but it wasnt on and i have checked the handbraje to see if it was right down each time too.

I also mentioned to the dealer that the handbrake was a bit loose as it needs to be cranked up quite high when i am on a steepish slope otherwise i slip .

Cheers mate. I'll make sure they check it out.

'18 Megane dci
As far as I know it's normal, it's the rear pads sticking to the rear discs, my 172 does it every few days if it's not been moved for a while, try putting your handbrake on and off a few times before pulling away, that usually sorts it for me. Also did it on my old 306 GTi-6. Never caused any problems on either car.

I leave my car in opposite gear to the slope when parking on steepish slopes.

(think this thread needs moving elsewhere?)

Last edited:
Dave Cli02 said:
As far as I know it's normal, it's the rear pads sticking to the rear discs,

Thats what the geezer at the dealer suggested might be the problem. But he thought it wouldnt be something that happened too often.

Dave Cli02 said:
my 172 does it every few days if it's not been moved for a while, try putting your handbrake on and off a few times before pulling away, that usually sorts it for me. Also did it on my old 306 GTi-6. Never caused any problems on either car.
I'll give it a go between now and getting it checked out.

Dave Cli02 said:
I leave my car in opposite gear to the slope when parking on steepish slopes.

I bung mine in gear all the time. Dunno why just a habit i picked up.
(think this thread needs moving elsewhere?)[/QUOTE]

Cheers for info Dave

Ad

MK2 FRS
Yeah all of my motors with rear discs have done this. remeber beinga bit shocked myself about it.

The light in the dash is connected to lever position, not the brakes themselves.

Yeah, will be the rear pads sticking to the discs. Mine does this sometimes too. My old Clio used to do it a lot. It's usually if it's been damp and the car has been parked up for a while.

Mines done it once before. I hardly ever use the handbrake though when leaving the car. 99% of the time I just stick it in 1st gear. Most places where you park are flat enough that leaving it in gear will do. I dont like the idea of the rear pads being clamped to the disks all night for no reason.

106 GTi
My 306 used to do this after being stood outside for a while and not used, or if washed and not moved and left. Leave the clio in the garage with the handbrake off so not had this yet.

Thanks all

I feel reassured that its not something serious since a few of you have had this niggle before.

I'll get them to check out the handbrake though as it feels a little bit loose.

Wan

Clio 182
I get a clunk, but it's after you're actually rolling, and only when forwards, a few moments before the auto central locking goes.

Clio 197
Yup... it's your handbrake: I just leave my car in gear.

As for the clunk after moving: that's ABS self-test.

Verdict: your car is normal, phew!