ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very noticeable creaking sound emitting from front of car

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I've started to get a reasonably loud creaking sound coming from the front of my car when I'm pulling off and stopping, it mostly seems to happen when i'm turning the wheel, specifically left as well.

I had it in to Archie Moss in Loughborough, who to be honest, I wasn't impressed with after I heard so many good things about. They kept my car for the day, used half a gallon of fuel, and I'm sure they dented the roof but they denied it. Its such a small dent but I don't remember it being there before.

Anyway, they had it all day and said that it was sorted, but the sound was still there when I got it back.

Its not the usual problem of the suspension tops, as I had that problem solved, its something else, but sounds quite similar.

I went back there today, and had a mechanic ride along with me, he didn't seem to have a clue what was wrong with it.

Does anybody have ANY possible idea what it might be? It does sound to be coming from the suspension but I'm not entirely confident that it is.

I think I'll book it in with them again, but to be honest I don't have much faith, and I'm going to have to wait however long it takes them to fix it as I live a fair distance away.

Appreciate any help.

Rob

Check the lower suspenson arm. Not the ball joint, the bushes's metal tube area. See if it hit the chassis (when brake).

Maz

LY 200
I get that and have also had my top mounts/shims modified, so if you find out it will be interesting to know. I cant be arsed fighting on with renault again tbh so I have learned to live with it.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Had this problem with the Trophy but didn't think any thing of it, however last time it was in renault they informed me that my nearside balljoint had excessive play and replaced it under warranty, never creaked since.

It could be worth checking.

Steve

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Had this problem with the Trophy but didn't think any thing of it, however last time it was in renault they informed me that my nearside balljoint had excessive play and replaced it under warranty, never creaked since.

It could be worth checking.

Steve

Same for me, o/s front ball joint replaced under warranty last week = no more creaking! :cool:

Maz

LY 200
Interesting to know,might book it in and ask them to look at that as my warranty runs out in November.

^ what milage you guys on ?

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Check the lower suspenson arm. Not the ball joint, the bushes's metal tube area. See if it hit the chassis (when brake).

Replaced mine and it solved this problem.

I had it for months and drove me nuts driving through town everday creeking.

Mine wasn't under warranty, but the arm is only around £60.

Okay, so I went back again, and they said that they regreased and tightened some stuff and it should be okay. What happens as I pull out of the car park space at the garage? THE SOUND IS STILL THERE!!!

I waited for two hours, while they ragged it around AGAIN, and didn't fix the problem.

They said if it carries on that it will need a new gearbox mount. Well why not just tell me that in the first place.

I couldn't understand how a gearbox mount could cause a creaking sound only when I turn the steering wheel. I just don't think they know what it is.

I'm very dissappointed in Archie Moss. I heard fantastic things about them, but I've experienced a very poor show from them. I just don't have much confidence that they will sort it the next time I'd take it in.

Don't you just love Renault garages.

Cheers for the advice mate. I haven't taken it back yet, but I'm sure I'll get the old 'I think our mechanics know best' routine.

Gearbox mount my arse.

clio 182 cup
guess what folks, im a new adition to the creeks.got 2005 182cup and its getting worse....it creeks like mad on movement of the wheel ggrrr...lets see what renault has to say..

Clio S
Ahh this could also be my problem 2, its only just started to do it on mine, on 53k, Mainly Drivers side i find but ive noticed its starting on passenger side aswell!
I would get it checked out by renault but they just shut down in grimsby lmao.
Local Garage it is then:)

Clio MK 4
ME TO!!! Its been driving me nuts. really quite loud especially through town. i thought i was only one lol. Mines booked in garage to have it checked so ill let u all know.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi, I own a 2004 172 RS I had this problem too, went to the dealer, another shops and nothing. finally a Reno mechanics checked the car in his free time and the problem was the lower arm ball joint, excesive play in the joint, You only can see this play removing the lower arm.
You can solve this problem replacing the lower arm with balljoint

Regards

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Rob, look underneath & see if antiroll bars etc are dry, had similar probs with VAG, sprayed WD40 on certain areas & cured it.

Only had good experiences with Archie Moss myself.

Clio S
Got mine booked in for thursday to get it checked over, just done a check on ebay shop online and ive found the balljoints for £12.99 each.
Seems the cheapest option for mine, got quoted around £50 including fitting. Not bad, But lets see what other problems crop up first lol

Touch Wood None!:)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I've started to get a reasonably loud creaking sound coming from the front of my car when I'm pulling off and stopping, it mostly seems to happen when i'm turning the wheel, specifically left as well.

I had it in to Archie Moss in Loughborough, who to be honest, I wasn't impressed with after I heard so many good things about. They kept my car for the day, used half a gallon of fuel, and I'm sure they dented the roof but they denied it. Its such a small dent but I don't remember it being there before.

Anyway, they had it all day and said that it was sorted, but the sound was still there when I got it back.

Its not the usual problem of the suspension tops, as I had that problem solved, its something else, but sounds quite similar.

I went back there today, and had a mechanic ride along with me, he didn't seem to have a clue what was wrong with it.

Does anybody have ANY possible idea what it might be? It does sound to be coming from the suspension but I'm not entirely confident that it is.

I think I'll book it in with them again, but to be honest I don't have much faith, and I'm going to have to wait however long it takes them to fix it as I live a fair distance away.

Appreciate any help.

Rob

dent in the roof near the pillar? (windscreen area)

No there isn't a dent mate, what makes you say that?

I took it back to them to replace the gearbox mount. 'Theres no sound anymore sir' What happens as I drive out? I hear the flipping sound!

I don't think its the anti-rollbars Steve as apparently they regreased all of that gumpf.

I'll book in again with them and tell them to look at the lower arm balljoint then and we'll see how that goes.

Thank you for all the advice guys.

clio 182
i have got this creaking sound aswell and its bloody loud.been bk to autoworld reno near bilston 3 times now and still got it.they keep greasing my top mounts and steering joints.best excsue was last one.drive it round and let the grease work in lol lol.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

I had it in to Archie Moss in Loughborough, who to be honest, I wasn't impressed with after I heard so many good things about. They kept my car for the day, used half a gallon of fuel, and i'm sure they dented the roof but they denied it. Its such a small dent but I don't remember it being there before. Appreciate any help.

Rob

dent in the roof near the pillar? (windscreen area)

No there isn't a dent mate, what makes you say that?.

Well call me a wet fish and slap me round the face!! It was late and I completely missed that one!

The dent is by the drivers door. Very very small. Sure they did it but obviously they say otherwise.

Clio S
Its now creaking when i brake aswell but only when breaking from slow speeds eg pulling up to lights, its getting abit worrying now lol.

Had to rebook my date till next week, so have to wait longer now with the creaking:(

Thanks for all your Comments Though Guys!

clio 182
reno's answer to everything,grease it,it will go away!! lol

bloody creak is driving me mad,wouldnt mind,the 182's only done 15,000 miles on a 55 plate

Clio S
Well took it in today, my gearbox mounting has gone, ( rear stabiliser bar, so took a trip to renault cost me £11.07 Not Bad !! Getting fitted Saturday for £10, Bargain! Who says some renault parts arent cheap at all lol.

Hopefully this will solve my problems!

if the the creaking noise is coming from the steering when turning, have u had ur driveshafts checked? the cv boot joint could be away in the driveshaft(s).

Clio S
YAY I got rid of my Creeking :) :)

Replaced Stabiliser Bar on Gearbox and its sorted it, only a slight tap now when you first start but thats cos the parts new mechanic said, took him an hour to sort, well happy with the service and price now i can go drive without thinking the car is falling to bits :rasp: