ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vibration on wheel

Golf R/Leon FR
Hi guys,

Driving to work this morning, doing 60mph in 3rd gear, heard a big bang as if my tyre had popped. checked tyre on hard shoulder nothing wrong there. Steering wheel is shaking and vibrating, and veering to the left badly. Any ideas??
possible it could be driveshaft? shocks?
oh its a mk1 172
cheers
gareth

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Sounds like it may be your driveshaft cv joint. Reach under and give it a wiggle front to back - it shouldn't move. The boot may have popped off, it's rubber and may have caused the noise you thought could be the tyre. If it has, there will probably be grease everywhere.

Less likely but other possibilities from what you say could be the steering rack bolts have sheared or maybe a steering ball joint broken.

Golf R/Leon FR
ill have to have a look tonight, if i drive it home (8miles) i wont do any more damage will i?

anyone have an idea on prices of on ball joints, driveshafts, steering rack bolts? are they easy to fix?

If the rubber boot has come off the driveshaft but the shaft still feels solid, running on it won't do much good. Maybe if you went slowly and didn't accelerate hard in corners it would be OK.

If the cv joint is wiggly and clicky when you try to move it, it's new driveshaft time anyway and I'd just drive on it.

Check how your steering feels at low speed - should be obvious if something's broken. If it were me and that was the problem, I'd be phoning the AA.

I think it's more likely your cv joint is now broken and you need a new driveshaft.

Edit: CV boot's about £8 and an hour's labour, driveshaft £100-£150 exchange and an hour and a half to two hours.

Golf R/Leon FR
right ive had a check and the cv joints are fine, drive shaft seems to be ok too

when i turn the wheel when stationary it makes a clicking sound when turned to the right! when pulling off slowly the steering wheel moves rapidly from side to side.

does it sound like the steering rack? anyone give me a clue where to locate it? and prices to fix it?

Billabong Clio DCI 80
Have you checked your Coils/springs? yeah, seems like it's the steering rack.

Last edited:
If you can, jack up both sides and put the front on axle stands. Undo the engine undertray and get someone else to turn the steering while you lie underneath. The steering rack is at the very back of the engine bay, right through the bulkhead from your feet.

I'd look at the bolts holding the rack on, if one side has come loose due to a broken bolt, the rack will click like you describe.

If the rack seems soundly attached, look at the balljoint on the end of the steering arm, just follow the rack towards the wheel, it's attached to the suspension.

Either could be your problem, but both would be relatively cheap to fix. From the sounds of it, seems likely to be one or the other.

Otherwise, you'll be able to see/hear something that's not right if it's the suspension (spring, fastener, bush/ wishbone etc.).

Golf R/Leon FR
does anyone know if i need a specific 172 part for the steering rack bolts? or are they the same for all mk2 ph1 clios?

Golf R/Leon FR
right ive had a look with the car on axle stands and i cant see where the steering rack is lol, is it easy to find/see? is it visable from looking at the back of the engine if i open the bonnet?

anyone have a pic?