ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Videophiles GTFI [motion content]

So I have a Samsung UE55D8000. It's a pretty awesome TV, but there's one aspect I cannot decide on. Motion.

It has a few different settings, and I use 'smooth' which is what they call 800hz. Yeah well woteva. The end result is so incredibly smooth that they could call it 1000hz and I wouldn't care. I'm talking smoother than melted butter. For the most part I love this, but it's not 'film-like'.

However, I often say that film-like is just what we are used to because of how film plays. It doesn't make it natural, right? I sometimes try the other settings, but before long I feel its jerky. No different to any normal TV, but just a bit juddery in comparison to the smooth setting.

Obviously it's my choice, but I'm after some opinions from videophiles. Of course, it's difficult to judge without spending time with this exact TV, but meh. I'm sure there's a fair few other AV people with the same dilemma.

Opinions or GTFO.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I hate this. Ruins the experience and makes content look "fake" hard to explain.

Visually it looks sharper and appears to look better, but after a few moments of viewing, my brain starts to say "ok what the f**k are you looking at?, this isnt right" at which point i turn it off and never turn it on again.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I hate this. Ruins the experience and makes content look "fake" hard to explain.

Visually it looks sharper and appears to look better, but after a few moments of viewing, my brain starts to say "ok what the f**k are you looking at?, this isnt right" at which point i turn it off and never turn it on again.

Same as this for me.

When we got our new tv a couple of years ago I was fiddling with all the faster refresh things (panasonic plasma) and really noticed something weird when there was an old episode of The Champions.

With the motion stuff turned on everything looked sped up like a Benny Hill sketch, after a while like Tom says my head was saying wtf is this and it's been turned off since.

For Bluray stuff once the tv is in thx mode with something else switched on (24fps maybe?) it doesn't let you turn on any of the other crap.

Nippy white cup
I hate the mode tbh. I found that any special effects seemed more obviously superimposed and didn't blend into the background as naturally as on regular settings imo4

2014 Focus Titanium
I prefer the smooth look for sports and fast-paced stuff on mine, but for me a movie only looks good at 24-30fps. As far as movies are concerned, I want to watch it exactly how the director wanted me to watch it, not all warped and smooth. I don't know what it is but when a film is at 24-30fps it just looks more "epic", I don't mean epic in the "cool way" but in a more emotional sense.

I kinda figured most people would feel that way. I guess I'll try sticking with some of the other modes for a bit longer.

I think 3D needs to be in 'smooth' though.

Discovered a quite fantastic bonus of the motion smoothing modes. It makes video games appear to be running at like 200fps or something crazy. Uncharted 3 runs silky smooth. Like butter. Turn the smoothing off and it's normal. Maybe 30fps or so. Still looks amazing but of course it's nicer to have it running at (what appears like) a million frames per second.

You do get some artefacts from time to time but it's still pretty awesome. Turns a games console into a £4000 PC lol.

FYI.