ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Violent power loss

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Evening all,

I have experienced 3 or 4 times now a violent loss in engine power.

This has happened when I am accelerating in either 2nd or 3rd gear. Foot to the floor and it's like I'm hitting the Rev limiter at roughly 3000 rpm.
When this happens I get no advanced warning apart from the sensation of the Rev limiter and massive engine braking.
It's almost like I've stomped the brake pedal!

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
that sounds like limp mode,id there a warning light on in the middle of dash when this happens m8

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I can't say for definite but I've certainly not noticed any warning light appear.

It really is quite violent, when it happened today the back end felt like it was about to go due to the weight transfer!

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
This happened again yesterday, approx 5000rpm in 3rd.
It wasn't quite as harsh but definitely felt the same.

Anybody have any ideas?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Have had similar incidents to this and my guess is fuel related (although im no expert!)

RB Clio 182
I had this happen, changed the plugs and leads which sorted it. It was like a fuel cut safe mode to stop any damage.

Focus RS mk1
I had the exact same happen to me when i used to have my 172, 4000 rpm every time i was in gear under load the engine would buck and feel as though it would jump out of the bay, if i kept my foot planted it would go past and rev to limited ok. No lights, no codes nothing at all, eventually it gave up totally and cut out on me on motorway then wouldnt restart, after cooling down it was ok. Turned out to be the crank sensor, had to have new sensor and modified loom for it from renault then it was fine