ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media 50Mb Broadband

Tesla MP3 2021
Well last night I decided to order Virgins 50Mb package, as you all know, faster is always better ;)

I feel a bit bad just ditching Be as they have been a top notch sp for nearly 4 years without any issues at all and I would recommend them to anyone but I just couldn't resist knowing there are faster speeds out there.

The earliest dates showing for installation is the start of Feb, which is not a life time away but I normally cant wait when it comes to stuff like this lol :eek:

Do you think the weather is making them put back new orders slightly whilst they work through a possible backlog? Hopefully I can get a cancellation or something sooner :)

Audi S1
Of course the weather will affect there time lines if it means the engineer needs to come to your house

Golf GTi Mk2
About 3 weeks is normal actually, I had the tv and telephone service installed in november and that was a 3 week wait aswell, only got 20MB BB but guaranteed speeds ftw.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
YOU BAILER! YOU SPENT AGES TWISTING MY ARM TO GET BE BROADBAND, NOW IVE GOT IT AND YOU WANT TO f**king CHANGE?! LITTLE b*****d!!!

HOW MUCH IS IT~?!

DMS

A thirsty 172
Is it subject to traffic management? I'm sure I read the when it was first rolled out it wasn't, but I don't know about now.

No it isn't. Not yet at least. I can download at full pelt all day and NEVER get capped.
I was speaking to one of their 3rd line support guys on the phone a while ago and he told me that the 50mbit users are on a seperate UBR to the rest of the network's users. Because this hasn't reached anywhere near capacity yet they haven't found the need to implement traffic management. It probably will happen in future though as more and more users migrate to the faster broadband package.
But then once it becomes available I'll just move up to the 100mbit service they're already trialling which will probably end up being isolated from the rest of the residential users as well.

For info, I can rinse 6 megabytes of data a second down from Astraweb all the time. It's nice to be able to download a full ~700mb CD image in under 2 minutes.

Tesla MP3 2021
Of course the weather will affect there time lines if it means the engineer needs to come to your house

Yeah, well thats what I thought though my mate in work had his services installed within 2 weeks, but I think he got a cancellation slot.

50Mb is awesome. I <3. Beats work's crap connection of 2Mb.

Yeah, im sure it is :) Cant wait to start ripping through the newsgroup downloads.

About 3 weeks is normal actually, I had the tv and telephone service installed in november and that was a 3 week wait aswell, only got 20MB BB but guaranteed speeds ftw.

Right ok, so im a just slightly over with 4 weeks, as I say hopefully I might get a cancellation slot.

YOU BAILER! YOU SPENT AGES TWISTING MY ARM TO GET BE BROADBAND, NOW IVE GOT IT AND YOU WANT TO f**kING CHANGE?! LITTLE b*****d!!!

HOW MUCH IS IT~?!

Hahaha, sorry bruv :rasp:. Be is still very very good, as you know with your speeds but I just couldnt resist knowing there is faster out there.

Its £32 for the first 2 months and £38 after that. Got my connection fee and install foc though :)

No it isn't. Not yet at least. I can download at full pelt all day and NEVER get capped.
I was speaking to one of their 3rd line support guys on the phone a while ago and he told me that the 50mbit users are on a seperate UBR to the rest of the network's users. Because this hasn't reached anywhere near capacity yet they haven't found the need to implement traffic management. It probably will happen in future though as more and more users migrate to the faster broadband package.
But then once it becomes available I'll just move up to the 100mbit service they're already trialling which will probably end up being isolated from the rest of the residential users as well.

For info, I can rinse 6 megabytes of data a second down from Astraweb all the time. It's nice to be able to download a full ~700mb CD image in under 2 minutes.

Right ok thats good to know. That was the only thing that put me off in the past and as you say the 50Mb package is exempt to the traffic management scheme, and if that changes I will either jump ship or change to the 100Mb service like you say.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Yep, no traffic management at mine. Download most of MSDN the other day, not even a blink from 5.5-6MB/sec.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I considered upgrading my 20Mb VM connection to 50Mb but decided that the extra speed wasn't really worth entering into a new contract for. I have a very good deal now anyway.

Tesla MP3 2021
I considered upgrading my 20Mb VM connection to 50Mb but decided that the extra speed wasn't really worth entering into a new contract for. I have a very good deal now anyway.

Fair point. I just want the fastest out there :eek:

I'm on the Virgin VIP package. 20meg BB , all the TV chanels ( Sky sports/films, ect ) V+ HD box , a Std box in the bedroom , and phone.

The problem ive found with fast BB speeds ( ive not gone 50meg yet , but always had the fastest availible ) is if the uploader/website has a cap/set the upload at a certain level it doesn't matter how fast your BB is as it can only DL it as fast as they can UL it.

Even Downloading programms from website , not many servers get anywhere near 20meg , only somebody like Microsoft can get proper decent upload speeds.

It's another version of BHP pub talk imho.

Polo + Micra
I'm on the Virgin VIP package. 20meg BB , all the TV chanels ( Sky sports/films, ect ) V+ HD box , a Std box in the bedroom , and phone.

The problem ive found with fast BB speeds ( ive not gone 50meg yet , but always had the fastest availible ) is if the uploader/website has a cap/set the upload at a certain level it doesn't matter how fast your BB is as it can only DL it as fast as they can UL it.

Even Downloading programms from website , not many servers get anywhere near 20meg , only somebody like Microsoft can get proper decent upload speeds.

how much you pay for that? as thats what my mum has got and tbh it's getting a little steep

Tesla MP3 2021

Yeah true, but I use newsgroups which will max out my 50Mb connection nicely :)

BMW M135i
Its ace, I have nothing more to say. I get this:

672904328.png

and more importantly this :evil:

fiddy_meg_yo.jpg

The defence rests.

DMS

A thirsty 172
That's pretty much what I get too, and indeed everyone else I know who's got it.
It's not all about bragging rights like someone cleverly pointed out above. Comparing BHP is pointless most of the time because you can't really make use of it on the road. I can make use of my 50Mb broadband all day every day.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman

What speed do you get with 20 ? i know it depends where you live but roughly.

^^^^^Not got a clue.

I don't know how to do the direct link thing , but i just got 18/19mb ( Virgin 20mb ) on Speedtest.net , my nearest server is in Brum though which wouldn't help matters.

I think i pay £80 a month for the VIP package , FREE Virgin + HD box ( instead of £75 one off payment + £5 per month ) pretty expensive i know , but it is Sky sports/films( all of them ) that make the cost jump up some

Tesla MP3 2021
Just received an email from them advising that they have scheduled me for an earlier installation, 2 weeks today to be precise :)

Tesla MP3 2021
^^^^^Not got a clue.

I don't know how to do the direct link thing , but i just got 18/19mb ( Virgin 20mb ) on Speedtest.net , my nearest server is in Brum though which wouldn't help matters.

I think i pay £80 a month for the VIP package , FREE Virgin + HD box ( instead of £75 one off payment + £5 per month ) pretty expensive i know , but it is Sky sports/films( all of them ) that make the cost jump up some

The only thing that puts me off about the TV service is the lack of Sky Sports and Sky Movies in HD as they are the main channels we watch in HD especially the sports.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Keep an eye on your install date. I work for virginmedia and with the current weather some appointments are being moved to accomodate for the hundreds we havent been able to do this week.

Tesla MP3 2021
Keep an eye on your install date. I work for virginmedia and with the current weather some appointments are being moved to accomodate for the hundreds we havent been able to do this week.

Yeah well originally it was going to be 4 weeks from when I ordered and now that have brought it forward to just 2 weeks. Thanks, I will keep an eye on it anyway.

Polo + Micra
yeah my mum is paying best part of £90 for her vip package

i think i'll have to give them a ring and see if they can sort it out

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
I've just moved into a city centre apartment and it has cable, so have signed up to 50mb Virgin cable. They are coming to fit it on Tuesday, I have had to wait 3 weeks for installation.

My mate has it and gets the full 50mb connection so looking forward to it being installed!

I have also moved from Be. Well o2, who own Be, so they use the same connection, its just cheaper!

Tesla MP3 2021
Well my broadband is now installed :). They rang me earlier today saying they could come this afternoon. Only took 10 mins for the guys to get it up and running, I already had a previous NTL/Virgin connection so they had bugger all to do lol.

All I can say is wow, is foooking rapid :).

Picture1-10.jpg

Tesla MP3 2021
God knows lol. It's probably some sort of surge/spike or something, but it's consistant on there, I've had it over 300Mbps lol.

Oh and I ain't trialing any 100/200Mb service, I don't think lol ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
I get great wireless speeds aswell from the d-link router :)....

iPhone 3GS (wireless g)

0123218d.jpg

MacBook Pro (wireless n)

686117028.png