ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin slower than 56k!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
So I got virgin yesterday morning, the guy said wait 24 hours before testing speed and using it properly...

I'm paying for the 30mb package, and my internet is really slow!

I did a speed test and got 0.15mb download and 3.15mb upload, upload seems fine.

I'm downloading a file that is 2.5mb and it says 3 hours left.

Can anyone help? Service status says everything is fine!

EDIT:
virgin.png

Last edited:
  Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I just did the speedtest on my iphone and got 20mb download! Must be something wrong with my cable.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Unless I'm misunderstanding what a filter is, that won't be the issue as VM don't use them.

Is your computer hard wired on wi-fi?

About similar speeds to what we were getting with Virgin.

Several months, a few engineer visits, 3 different routers and a change of wiring/filters later we were still getting dial-up speeds so we moved to Sky Broadband. Been faultless ever since.

Virgin are great as long as everything is working fine. The minute you're dealing with their customer service/technical people you're fucked. May as well just find a new ISP.

ITB BG 182
Had this on a mates computer ages ago with a new line from VM.

Gave it 48hrs, disconnected cable line then powerline from modem.
Turn computer on,wait till start up desktop screen. Turn router on and wait for all lights to stop (5mins) then modem on, then reconnect modem line.

Job done, she had 60+mbs down and 12mbs up. Shes on the 50mb package though.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
You could try putting the "super hub" into modem mode and see what happens

We took a few weeks to get our 30mb broadband up and running properly.

The thing that sorted it though was which channel we were accessing on though as some other routers can interfere if running on the same channel.

Ring them up and ask them to go through setup on your home hub.

hope that helps :)

Audi S1
I went without Internet with VM for 6 days.

Day 1 - left it
Day 2 - I wasn't at home, so left it again
Day 3 - called there tech guys, automated message saying they were having issues
Day 4 - left it
Day 5 - called again, message was no longer there sat in a queue for 20 minutes and got disconnect
Day 6 - called them again and pressed any button to get through to someone, in the end got through to their tech guys to be told they haven't had any problems what so ever....

ANNOYING!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
The problem is only some of my devices are getting a slow speed!

Router
- TP-Link Switch
-- Computer (0.01mb dl, 3.00mb ul)
-- IP Phone (Connects)
-- Server (Does not connect)
-- Netbook (30mb dl, 3mb ul)
-- Laptop (30mb dl, 3mb ul)

Wireless
- iPhone (20mb dl)
- iPad (20mb dl)

EDIT: I have asked the nerds of serverfault, they will probably solve it in a few seconds. Best website ever IMO.

http://serverfault.com/questions/36...vices-get-good-speeds-others-get-awful-speeds

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
So I just rang virgin, 40 mins later the guy couldn't help me, he was a decent bloke though. He transferred me to a lady who said:

"I can fix your computer, but it will cost you £60."

I said: "What does my £60 pay for?"

She said: "We connect to your computer and clear the temporary files and 'perform' a system restoration."

My reply: "I thought you had my details?"

She said: "I'm sorry?"

My reply: "This is the internet for Genyx Systems ltd, the IT company?"

She said: "Yes it is"

I said thanks for your time and hung up...