ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virtual Network lab software

2000 Clio 172
Does anyone know if there is any software on the market that would allow me to setup a virtual network? People might use if for testing purposes, I on the otherhand want to use if for self study.
I have googled it and can't find anything.

Cheers.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
We use Microsoft Hyper-V and Microsoft System Centre Virtual Machine Manager

You can keep the machines on an 'internal' network contained within the server or you can attach it to a secondary network card on the physical server and have it accessible over the physical network.

If you're using it at home look for Microsoft Virtual PC, rather than the server based programmes, unless you have a server of course

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I am using packettracer which is part of my CCNA course.. only deals with cisco stuff of course but you can build massive networks with it.

Very good for learning about cisco stuff.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Just thought you might have meant virtual network as in routers and switches.......

in which case Cisco Packet Tracer, or GNS3 would be your best bet

(GNS3 requires you to have the source IOS's for the devices)

2000 Clio 172
Its not server virtualization as such that I am after. In university we used a piece of software for digital electronics that allowed us to add components and create test circuits. Is there anything like that for networks? i.e. start with a router, drop in a firewall a DC etc? If you wanted to plan your network topology is there anything out there you could simulate it?

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Its not server virtualization as such that I am after. In university we used a piece of software for digital electronics that allowed us to add components and create test circuits. Is there anything like that for networks? i.e. start with a router, drop in a firewall a DC etc? If you wanted to plan your network topology is there anything out there you could simulate it?

Cisco Packet Tracer sounds like what you want then....

Although when you add servers to the topology they only have limited functionality, just basic things like DHCP, DNS and a basic web-server.

But you can configure the routers to act as a firewall

Not a 320d
I am using packettracer which is part of my CCNA course.. only deals with cisco stuff of course but you can build massive networks with it.

Very good for learning about cisco stuff.

Packet tracers a bit s**t but it does the job where cisco is concerned IF you only want to emulate routers and switches and all the other tripe they offer.

GNS is a cisco router emulator and far better but it has VERY limited switching capablities (You can implement a switch and i think you can create vlans) but it will act as though its real, by that i mean you can hook 2 physical computers together using it withiout the need for the real deal. Youll need the IOS images mind.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^^ it's true that packet tracer is not full fledged, but it's good if you're trying to plan a network and do some testing.

No replacement for doing it hands on though.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
The words

"packet tracer download free"

in google gives you enough places to download it from.
you dont need to register it or pay for it. was a pain to download even while i was doing CCNA, the cisco links were old!