ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virus & Firewall Software..

Van..
Basically, i use Norton Internet Security 2006, and its about to expire. So that mean i need to either renew it buy another one, or similer.

What do you guys use?
What is the price?
Whats windows firewall like? (anything like there xp's and vista, pile of shi1)
What is the best free download Software? ie Zone Alarm, AVG

Finally..

Spyware Removal tools, ad blockers etc..

Many thanks.

R

rich[182]

Disable windows firewall
Install Sygate personal firewall
AVG anti virus
AVG anti spyware
A squared trojan remover
Lavasoft adaware anti spyware
Crap Cleaner
I also run regclean, regcleaner, MS malicious spftware remover as well

Also ditch internet explorer and use mozilla firefox, IE is utter s***e

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
i use AVG and zonealarm, and norton trial thingy, its been expired for like a year now but i can still scan my comp with it lol

Better than yours. C*nt.
rich[182];2382178 said:
Disable windows firewall

What do you base that on? Because I've never had a problem with my IE, and despite all of it's 'holes and security issues' I still maintain that it's not let a single virus in my door, because I'm not stupid enough to click anything that says 'Free' on it.;)

Ok, it's not the fastest thing in the world but Mozilla is only marginally quicker and that's ANOTHER piece of software to have to install and ANOTHER set of registry keys bloating my machine.

Anyway, on topic I use BitDefender and can't fault it. Excellent package.

rich[182];2382178 said:
Disable windows firewall

What do you base that on? Because I've never had a problem with my IE, and despite all of it's 'holes and security issues' I still maintain that it's not let a single virus in my door, because I'm not stupid enough to click anything that says 'Free' on it.;)

Ok, it's not the fastest thing in the world but Mozilla is only marginally quicker and that's ANOTHER piece of software to have to install and ANOTHER set of registry keys bloating my machine.

Anyway, on topic I use BitDefender and can't fault it. Excellent package.

Firefox managed sites with popups etc. better. ;) Although I can't comment much on IE7, only that I had the layout and can't change how it's laid out either.

A red missile
Have to agree with Firefox, doesn't allow active x to dump s**t on your machine, then theres the themes and extensions you can get for free but for me tabbed browsing is worth the change on its own, for antivirus i'd go for AVG free, just as effective as Norton but doesn't hog resource like Norton does. For a firewall zone alarm is about as good as it gets but my Linksys router has a pretty strong firewall already, virtually nothing gets past that and if it does Zone Alarm gets it anyway. For spyware theres either ad-aware or spybot, there the ones most people seem to use, I prefer spybot but its down to personal preference. Norton sucks balls, wont ever get near my machines again.

rich[182];2382178 said:
Disable windows firewall
Install Sygate personal firewall
AVG anti virus
AVG anti spyware
A squared trojan remover
Lavasoft adaware anti spyware
Crap Cleaner
I also run regclean, regcleaner, MS malicious spftware remover as well

Christ! Do you have a moat around your house too?

R

rich[182]

Firefox - I prefer the interface, slightly quicker & most of the nasties relating to browser security seem to be more prevelent with IE

AVG spyware is basically the same product as what was Ewido spyware (Grisoft bought out Ewido recently) this is the best Spyware application (free) that I've ever used

IMO I'd get a hardware firewall that has stateful inspection (SPI) as they are more efficient than a software one, take up less system processing for a starters

XP firewall is better than nothing but not very configurable

A squared trojan app is also very very good product

I work in IT networking & security and you can never have enough or take it seriously enough imo, keep everything upto date daily, run full scans at least twice a week, keep system cleaned out (registry, temp files, browser history) and also defrag every week too to keep things in order

Crap cleaner (ccleaner) is a great app to use

Oh, and Windows updates too, either via XP or manually via autopatcher.com