ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Server Spyware/Virus Ugh...

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about this as im stumped!

One of the windows 2003 servers i setup last year for a company recently started behaving wierd, backups not running correctly and the like. Turned out when I went on there were wierd processes running as infected and wierd DLL's in the system32 folder.

The system is running McAfee enterprise virus scan, did a full scan and it reported no infections, full up-to-date also...Also had similar silly behaviour with iexplore and explorer just randomly hanging and crashing, and internet popups coming up too quite frequently.

After some searching around it turns out some of the registry keys associated with the wierd dll's in system32 were created by an application run by a company that supplies them with their accounting software...as they usually remotely dial in to fix problems, update software, etc. So I guess one of their files was infected...

I guessed it would be spyware, so AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy were installed, updated both and scanned the system fully, it found tons of registry keys and DLL's, and told me it had 'fixed' these problems. After following the paths it had gave me for the dll's, it appeared that they were still present, and upon trying to delete them got the usual 'file is in use' etc.

Every time the two spyware applications were run, the same problems were found, so obviously it wasnt getting rid as it said it was. I got hold of a program called 'Unlocker', to see what processes were using the wierd DLL's in system32, it showed that they were explorer.exe, lsass.exe and winlogon.exe. The application allowed you to select the DLLs and they would be deleted on the next reboot, which i was hoping would work as they wouldnt have got a hook on the processes yet. I wasnt so lucky.

I thought il search google for the DLL names, but they returned No results whatsoever, none of them...So I thought they must be randomly generated file names. I had a play with regedit, using Find to search for any keys associated with the DLL file names, every time i found one, deleted it, it came back, which i expected.

Oh, and I treid safe mode before all this, but for some reason, the system would startup, show the CTRL+ALT+DEL login, as soon as you logged in the system would reboot, so I had to use normal mode all the way through...

I thought there was no way I would get rid of these files through windows, so I used a Linux LiveCD, booted onto it, mounted the harddrive and removed the DLL's, worked perfect. Booted back into windows, the files were gone, left the system for half an hour and had another look, they had gone for good. Now i set about cleaning the crap out of the registry, got rid of all the keys assocated with the DLL's that were deleted....Then ran AdAware and Spybot again, AdAware returned nothing, and SpyBot a few keys i had missed. Cleaned them and scanned with SpyBot again, which this time returned a clean system.

It was left a few hours then I decided to run SpyBot again, and it found more registry keys....which is the bit i dont understand at all. It didnt find any DLL's or other files, nor did AdAware on another scan. I did a full system scan with McAfee also, returned nothing. No dodgy folders inside the WINDOWS folder, or its subfolders, and nothing wierd in Program Files...

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how the hell these registry keys are coming back when there are no DLL's present, or executables etc?

MK2 172
I would use the BitDefender or Kaspersky online anti-virus/spyware scanners. I have used them in the past to find spyware that neither AdAware or Spybot could find. Might also be worth using something like the AVG anti-rootkit to make sure nothing else is hiding away on the system.

^
Can BitDefender or Kaspersky be had for free ?? as in downloading them form the net, like the free version of avg etc ?

sorry i forgot to say tried mcafee rootkit and avg rootkit checkers, both came back clean, il have a look into the other two cheers

Better than yours. C*nt.
Have a word with the accounts software supplier and point out just how expensive it'll be if they don't clean up after themselves.

well i thought i had fixed all this....turns out the server crashed around 3pm today, with a BSOD.....PAGE FILE error etc....now the machine boots but dosent get fully into the system, just blue screens again with the same error...............

i thought it was faulty memory or something, replaced it all and it still does it..................guessing its a virus after using a live cd to look at the drive and there are random dll's in the root of C....all data is on a different drive.

the problem i have is with rebuilding, how the hell can i replicate the domain server settings, active directory and group policies....

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
well i thought i had fixed all this....turns out the server crashed around 3pm today, with a BSOD.....PAGE FILE error etc....now the machine boots but dosent get fully into the system, just blue screens again with the same error...............

i thought it was faulty memory or something, replaced it all and it still does it..................guessing its a virus after using a live cd to look at the drive and there are random dll's in the root of C....all data is on a different drive.

the problem i have is with rebuilding, how the hell can i replicate the domain server settings, active directory and group policies....

Faulty RAM would cause data corruption.. that data corruption will have been written to the drive hence changing the ram wouldnt fix the corruption that is already present.

You would need to replace the ram AND rebuild the server.

Is it using ECC ram ?

well its all fixed............turned out it was infected with viruses, not just spyware. used 'the ultimate boot cd for windows', compiled my own iso with numberous virus scanners embedded into it, and it cleaned aload of it.

Also was able to open the registry hives and clean those up, then re-booted and the system was fine. Done numerous checks now and all seems good, will have to see how it goes.

T

thecremeegg

I'm with mike 182 on this - words need to be had with the company that "unwittingly" ;) infected you

Better than yours. C*nt.
I'm with mike 182 on this - words need to be had with the company that "unwittingly" ;) infected you

I dunno about how professional this company is but if one of our software support contracts managed to infect our network with a virus that I'd have their head of technical support and their management at my feet apologising profusely and begging me not to have them stripped and raped in court.

It's just not done.

well they dont have a head of technical support, or a team, or anything, its a server that runs four tills and the databases for their accounting, thats all....still yes its not on.....to be fair they would probably fu*k it up more trying to fix it themselves.