ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VISTA! - Clue me up please.

Golf GTI 1.8T
Right well my laptop is coming to the end of its hard drive :S only 15gb left and not even done a year yet.
was thinking of buying an external drive but then thought can I wipe the lot and run vista?

well can I?

obviously I'll back up my docs and software to dvds of another pc then, is there a time limit on the MS released vista, or am I gonna have to get a copy ;) so I can run it forever. am I right its called RC1 now?

any info muchos helpful cheers!

172 Cup
RC1 (Release Candidate 1) was build 5600 and there's new builds out every week.

The latest build, 5728, is about as close to the RTM version we're going to get and is perfectly stable (as an OS can be). 5745 will be out any day now too.

Im hoping to get a legit copy soonish, however want to make sure the final release supports more than 2 hard drives as the beta version would only see 1 hdd which was annoying.

UR 197, AB 182 FF
I've had the "pleasure" if you can call it that of using VISTA nearly all day today, with build 5728, also I'm on this dreadful "compatibility" program.

Mitch, is your laptop up to spec to run VISTA? It needs to be fairly hefty on the graphics card to enable all the "cool" effects.

Personally I'll stick with XP+SP2 until I actually find that I need VISTA for something, because at the moment, it just seems like a poor attempt to be MACOS and offers little in the way of improvement. Also, half the things I need to run on the network, for instance the Network storage driver, doesnt run on VISTA yet...

Or did you just want to play on it.

Leon Cupra 300
when is it officially released? im gonna get it just because it looks smart and sick of xp

Golf GTI 1.8T
mainly for the cool features and upto dateness of it. but I need to network to a family pc here too.

thinking about it lappy top might not be up to it, its a dell inspiron 9300 but i didnt upgrade the graphics so its just got radeon 64mb

172 cup'd extreme
running on my shuttle athlon 2400+ 512mb ram 74gig raptor seems to be dog slow, the OS shouldnt really be the main event

16v_jon said:
running on my shuttle athlon 2400+ 512mb ram 74gig raptor seems to be dog slow, the OS shouldnt really be the main event

haha, made me chuckle.

XP is much better :D runs like s**t off a shovel is comparison.

Monaro VXR
XP will run fast. Because the hardware everyone uses it on now is much quicker than what people were first using it on. Back when it came out 256mb ram was the norm and running XP on anything less than 512 was painful. Used to be so slow. Same with vista if you have the machine to run it properly it wont use up much resources but using it on old hardware it will suffer. I reckon 1gb ram is gonna be minimum it'll need now to run well. And a 3ghz+ cpu.

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Dont even bother with a 64mb graphics card, all you'll end up with is an os that you arent familiar with and your computer spec isnt fast enough to make it fully usable.

VISTA is a piece of crap right now, there arent enough machines up to spec to run it, and the support for it is diabolical, even to developers.

XP took 3 years to get stable (SP2). I hate to think how long VISTA will take

I really enjoyed using the beta version... having it hooked up to a 360 without having to have media centre edition was a joy also its nice on the eye. Personally if i had the money i would upgrade from xp.

Clio 172 Mk2
MikeDX said:
Dont even bother with a 64mb graphics card, all you'll end up with is an os that you arent familiar with and your computer spec isnt fast enough to make it fully usable.

VISTA is a piece of crap right now, there arent enough machines up to spec to run it, and the support for it is diabolical, even to developers.

XP took 3 years to get stable (SP2). I hate to think how long VISTA will take

XP is near enough the same as Win2k but with the kernal improving slightly, XP was very stable when it first came out, SP1 sorted out a lot of problems with it to make it perfect.

Im hoping to get a legit copy soonish, however want to make sure the final release supports more than 2 hard drives as the beta version would only see 1 hdd which was annoying.

Iv got three EIDE drives here and there working OK in Vista, ar your harddrives using a SATA controller? are the drivers installed for that first? are the other drives NTFS or FAT32?

(not too sure if Vista is compatible with FAT32 now as its so old)

the last build of Vista (RC2) is out to selected people this Friday, then it should goto RTM build

its defo got some improvements, the file indexing search is really good, even though it was built in properly in WinFS (before they canned it), perfmon is a lot better, the firewall seems semi decent, the breadbar interface in explorer is very handy, and IE7 is a massive improvement.

Some stuff they have made worse, e.g. the backup program, but hopefully its just time to get used to it more than anything

Clio 172 Mk2
wozzaa said:
WinFS is not exactly canned. They were saying it will be relased in a service pack later on.

last I heard about it is that part of the tech is going to be in SQL Server 2007, didnt know it was coming in a SP, hope your right :)

Monaro VXR
The one thing im worried about is that it will reduce video quality for some things if its protected etc...It means those of us who get tv episodes via the internet may get a lil screwed.

CS Dungeon
16v_jon said:

What do you expect :rolleyes:

My FX55, 2GB ram, 2 x 256mb 6800Ultra SLI, 1TB RAID array runs smooth as you like with both Vista and XP

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
MikeDX said:
I've had the "pleasure" if you can call it that of using VISTA nearly all day today, with build 5728, also I'm on this dreadful "compatibility" program.

Mitch, is your laptop up to spec to run VISTA? It needs to be fairly hefty on the graphics card to enable all the "cool" effects.

Personally I'll stick with XP+SP2 until I actually find that I need VISTA for something, because at the moment, it just seems like a poor attempt to be MACOS and offers little in the way of improvement. Also, half the things I need to run on the network, for instance the Network storage driver, doesnt run on VISTA yet...

Or did you just want to play on it.

Sums up my views perfectly. I'm running XP-64 on the home PC and it's running fine. I tried Vista-64 RC1 last week and while it looked ok, I don't really see any need to change. Obviously, that time will come, but for now - XP suits me fine.

D.