ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Visual Studio 2005 or .NET?

Hey people,
Just wondering what the difference is between Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2003 .NET?
I'm wanting to create Windows apps that link with a local database file.

Cheers,
-TS

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Without stating the obvious, 2005 is newer. Generally speaking, the newer, the better and easier it is to use. (Although in the move from VC6 to VS.NET they lost the "quick find fuzzy symbol thing" which I can't live without. I eventually managed to find a replacement in Visual Assist which mean't I could change environment).

What language are you wanting to write in?

.NET 2005 Express edition only supports ".NET 2" as well.

I'm wanting to write in VB. I have the option of both for free, just wondering what the pro's and con's of each are. Thanks for the reply :)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
TwoSugars said:
I'm wanting to write in VB.

My commiserations!

(btw, the proper VB is regarded as a million times better than the .NET version. In which case Visual Studio 6 is what you'll be wanting!)

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Unless your programming some proper low level sh*t (C++ etc..) VB.Net is fine and will do everything you need.

Don't get VS6, its a massive step back from what is available now with VS2005 and .Net 2.0

Ive been developing for around 10 years and either vb.net or c# does everything you will need and more ... again it depends on what you are wanting to achieve really.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
bigmouk said:
Don't get VS6, its a massive step back from what is available now with VS2005 and .Net 2.0

.NET is w**k though. It's a massive step backwards from native code! How slowly can you say slow?

While the interface has improved in VS2005/.NET2003/.NET2001 over VS6, they took a lot of functionality out from VS6, like multiple post build custom steps, the fuzzy class search wizard thingy (invaluble if you have millions of lines of code and spread over hundreds of different files like me!).

They also broke OMF linking, it'll only convert and link one OMF file, if you have more than one it just fails! The only solution around this was to convert my assembler files from TASM format to MASM format which took a day or so.

The dialog editor in VS.NET is considerably poorer than VS6, purely because properties don't pop up in a separate window and appear in a property grid (ala old VB) which means you're running back and forth from the dialog to a tabbed window. Plus if you click inside the control id and then move the mouse to select the text, it randomly creates a new ID for the control. Really handy when you're just trying to copy the name of an existing control and it f**ks up your existing dialog!

Rant over.