ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vmax

Can anyone explain to me why the vmax on my 2003 cup is 135mph
Yet years ago when i owned a ph1 172 it would comfortably pull 145mph

Both were on stock wheels/stock engine

Although i have a suspicion that the cup has been mapped (not by me)

ANyone?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Is this tested? I know for a fact my 172 and 182 will do more than that.

Pug 306 GTI6 & 205 GTI6
are you talkig about speedo figures here?

as 145speedo is not 145 in "real" figures :D

yes speedo figures
I know they wont be 100% accurate but still, over 10mph difference is too much to put down to speedos between 2 of the same cars.

Even without the speedo, i can tell its not travelling as fast.

Gearbox ratios maybe?

Edit
not the gearbox as the cup doesn't rev out in top gear, the ph1 did

The cup is definitely down on power....

On the flat in low winds they will generally just about touch 140gps. Slightly more or slightly less depending on conditions. 135 indicated is probably about 130 or less, so it does sound a bit slow.

Was this just one 'test'? A strong head wind and/or a slight incline will kill them and could easily sap 10mph.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Bad map? If you have a flat spot in the rev range you wont really know till the engine is under hard load ie 135 lol

Pug 306 GTI6 & 205 GTI6
NEVER take the speedo figure,

every car is different and each car with not be the same each time to get to those speeds,

so on tow occassion, you might have done 120 on attemp 1 and 122 on attemp two,

get a PROPER timing gear, trust me you will never beleive a speedo again ;)

unless your down the pub of course ;)

Im now convinced that the cup has been mapped.
It idles at 1k and the rev limit it ~6800 ish rpm :mad:

Coming from a dc5 this feels like driving a diesel.

Must admit tho that it has serious GRUNT. Probably been mapped for torque rather than peak bhp. the 5k kick is at 4k and smooth.

Are you sure that's not the cold limit? Mine is set at 6750 for quite some time. It can take up to 15 minutes before changing to 7250. I rarely take it over 7000 though anymore as it sounds like it's about to explode. It aint no Honda that's for sure.

Nippy white cup
8k can sound ok tho ;)

[YOUTUBE]knvYsveN21g[/YOUTUBE]

Has it been serviced recently?...I think when it has been mapped the limiter has been lowered because they probably saw no point it having high revs when the power drops off.

Chris

Lots of Alfas
The 172mk1 has slightly different longer gear ratios. Although its unclear if its every gear, the ph2s were adjusted slightly for more acceleration but this in effect knocked off the overall top speed in that gear.

Hope that makes sense..

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
seems strange to have the limiter/power bought down the rev range for a "rev happy" block :S

I cant see how you guys can say that 7,000+ is a waste of time, in 1st,2nd & 3rd mine pulls really well till just shy of 7,500 & literally just as you notice the power tail off you hit the limiter.. guess it could be to do with the mods but then again i'm still runnig standard cams/timming etc..