ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vmaxx or K-tec coilovers?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Anyone know which would be the best for a budget set of coilovers? The main concern i have with the ktec ones is they only lower the rear 45mm and the front 50mm, not sure if this will be enough. Were as the vmaxx apparently lower 60mm at the rear and 70mm at the front.

Any views and opinions on either set would be appreciated or even some pictures of cars been lowered using either of these coilovers.

Cheers

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Are you after performance or just want to go low?

Abit of both really id obviously like some performance, but i mainly just want to get it nice and low, as long as the handling didnt get any worse than it is as standard i could manage. any ideas?

Clio 172 CUP
im also looking at they two sets of coilovers and dont know what to get i only want to go about -40mm tho just to inprove the look and fill up the arches abit but wouild also like to get some performance out them too.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Me personally I wouldn't bother with the ktic coilovers, I'd certainly go for the Vmaxx instead.

It's a pity the Raceland coils no longer appear to be available to UK customers. £160 seems far more realistic for a cheap set of coilovers imo.

ph1 172
I ran V-maxx on mine for a bit Rob. I thought they were pretty good, non adjustable dampening isn't a bad thing for road use.

If you can get a cheap second hand set you'll always get your money back if you don't like them.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I really don't get how anyone finds them good lol? It's like having concrete suspension? Could drive anywhere near as fast on them compared to standard.

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
Most coilovers have a hard ride! It's not uncomfortable tho! Best thing I've bought for mine!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I know, it's put massive doubt into my mind as to what expensive coilovers are like, I think they would be awesome on track, but for bumpy b-roads blast no way.

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
If you have the adjustable dampening you could gave it bit softer but u could be forever fiddling with them!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I know, it's put massive doubt into my mind as to what expensive coilovers are like, I think they would be awesome on track, but for bumpy b-roads blast no way.

Don't knock them until you've tried. It's like saying cheap tyres are the same as expensive ones.

The r&d that gies into the decent stuff makes a big difference. There's no way I could drive a standard car as quickly as my kw'd 172. And it was a lot more fun (more importantly!).

500 Twinair
The H&R's I have are more expensive than the Vmax and Ktec's, but as comfortable as the Standard cup suspension, just with great handling.

Clio 182
I had a go in my mates 172 with ktec coilovers the other day and i was surprised how nice it felt, not too stiff but felt 'sporty' also its pretty low but still practical enough for a daily (e.g. don't have to crawl over speed bumps)

Reading this thread I might consider v-maxx though

I have Vmaxx's on my Cup atm, there not bad for a budget coilover. Quite firm for the road as DrRollo said, but didn't find them as much of a handful than what he's said. Not bad on track either but i'll be upgrading to some decent adjustable coilovers next so I can use the adjustability for road/track. Depends what you really want from them, for casual trackdays there not bad though...

For reference, here is mine when I initially wound the coilover very low to see how low it made it to work up from...

IMAG0500.jpg

A shade more than -50mm.

Clio 172 CUP
this threads been well helpfull i think ill get the v maxx as i just want them for show really to fill up the arches abit and a bit of performance and i asume cheaper coilovers are better than springs ?

Last edited:

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
2 year bump here we go!

i am looking at Vmax just because i want the lows and my car is looking less likely to go on track as i put a budget aside for a PH1 track car.

will these do just for a bit of sportyness and some lows on the road?

Looking for 182
2 year bump here we go!

i am looking at Vmax just because i want the lows and my car is looking less likely to go on track as i put a budget aside for a PH1 track car.

will these do just for a bit of sportyness and some lows on the road?

If you don't know any better, then yeah. I've had Ktec's on mine for nearly 2 years now and they've been fine. Handles well, looks great a bit lower, ride isn't amazing but like I said the handling is spot on for me. I drive around town and occasionally out in the country so I don't need a £1k+ suspension setup.

I know a guy (member here actually) who has Ktecs on his 182 and he tracks it regularly, even he doesn't have a problem with them.

Last edited:
  Clio 182, 911
I've had K-tecs on mine for a little over a year, and I have no regrets. Been on five track days with them and they've performed perfectly well enough... not the most comfortable on bumpy surfaces but my missus drives the Clio daily and has no complaints about the ride. Just take it easy on road bumps.

172, Tiguan
I've used both. They are fairly similar really. The ride quality is a bit unsophisticated, but for the money they are I think great.