ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

volvo 340 f7p 1.8 16v problems/sound (youtube video attached)

Volvo 340 F7p 1.8 16
I think I've been through every f7p post on here today, I'm still struggling to find any real solution or answers to whats wrong with this engine. Has anyone with a lot of f7p experience had similar issues/ sounds?

this strikes me as a very bottom end/dieing engine sound. I think the clutch release bearing is damaged anyway so I have a whole new clutch kit to go in but theres definitely some other sounds from the engine bay. My question to you guys is this. Is it new engine time or is this some relatively simple problem? be sure to read the youtube description as i explain a bit more on there. This engine has had a good life too and been running really sweet. it all went pete tong in the space of a few days..which is weird :/

Last edited by a moderator:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Really hard to tell of a youtube video but the rough idle is probably caused by the o2 sensor, try and unhook it. If it then idles okay you've got that sorted...

Volvo 340 F7p 1.8 16
thanks for the response! yea, it didnt come out as clear as i wanted it too. theres lots of background "Noise" i thought there would be more information about these engines on here! they're very popular among the volvo community, where abouts is the 02 sensor on these engines? I've been told on the volvo forums it could possibly be hydraulic lifters aswell?

I couldnt get in to alot of the information on this page :/ http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?187984-Links-to-FAQ-information-posts

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lol, the o2 sensor is at the same place as almost every other car, in the exhaust....

Ticking noise could be tappets indeed

Volvo 340 F7p 1.8 16
haha, you can tell I'm not terribly mechanical ;) the problem is i dont have all the tools to hand! i dont have a driveway either which doesnt help lol, My friend helps me with most serious mechanical things! do you think it could be bottom end? I was going to see about replacing the shells, but then my concern would possibly be crank, or cylinder head damage...in which case it'd be cheaper/easier to drop a different engine in