ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo S40

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As some of you may know, i've being eyeing up a mature car. Having the Ph1 with mods was nice but a decision of not wanting to spend anymore money on it, i decided to look at a more mature choice of car. The Clio has been a good laugh in my ownership but has also tested my patience. As some of you may know i had a front end crash earlier in the year, not long after i got the car back from having a blown conrod/shattered engine, which was not long after having the big belts service and gearbox refurb/new clutch amongst other things.

My plan was to get the car closed door resprayed and get it mint but after having a think i decided against it. I use the car as a daily and I thought id be better buying a car that had more comfort, more mod cons, better mpg, bigger, cheaper tax, etc. Basically the opposite of the clio. Having a look at a few idea's i settled on a Volvo, either S40 or V50. I had some advice on here from a few members on what to look out for but it was getting hard finding a decent one. I browsed many volvo forums and threads and couldn't really see any major issues with engines. My budget was 4k and i wanted full black leather, ideally heated, parking sensors as my GF will be driving it, deisel, and ideally under 100k. Now i know mileage isn't really an issue, however i've always bought low mileage cars so old habits die hard!

Anyway long story short, i picked this up last week within my budget after much looking online and in person (some where a fair distance away and a complete waste of my time!)

Volvo S40 2.0 td
FSH
Unmarked 4x alloys
Full black leather interior
Heated memory front seats
Performance audio system
6 speed manual

Worst pic ever!

22635203125_74c2062f6a_z.jpg

Bad bits:

Scuff on the rear bumper
Few dents on the centre console panel and grab handles (everyone i looked at had this)
Small mark on the dash

This is all off the top of my head but im sure there's more. I'll get some better pics once its clean. Its lowered on lowering springs which i believe are Apex. It actually rides lovely, although it is something i will change at a later date.

Its totally different from the clio and i really like it. I drive like a grandad anyway so this suits me perfect! My plans are to clean it up and keep it well maintained.

There will be things i'll do to it, naturally. These are:

New Eibach proline springs - 25mm
New shock when i purchase the springs
Paint brakes silver
Bulb change
Rear bumper spray
New console
New grab handles
Possibly R-Design steering wheel
New mats
Keep it clean and maintained

Once again, this is all off the top of my head so i'm sure they'll be more. Managed this on the way back from Durham to Essex:

22015082063_f53cdfc3b8_z.jpg

Going to order a pipe and some nice slippers soon!

Last edited:
  320d
The novelty of good MPG soon wears off mate speaking from experience.

Enjoy it though, mega comfy car.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I think in the time I've owned my Clio, I drove it hard about 20 times in 2 years, using it every day! I naturally drive slow!

In her defence, they was for me too! She drives the Clio and currently she has a micra k12 and has always driving hatchbacks so it's a bit of a change for her, and actually for me too. They do help quite a bit as the boot is hidden from the rear view so it can be hard to judge when reversing.

It is a lovely car tbh, me likely.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
My on going hate is strong but you need to look under the car, is there a dpf, has there ever been genuine replacement fitted?

They're due around 70k, need the eloys topping up (tank near the rear beam) and the ecu reset.. Check 2 rubber pipes that go to it, give them a squeeze, if they're hard they're ready to pop and will leave you in limp..

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Good work, I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I have. Heated seats are OK as standard but if you get hold of a VIDA DiCE you can hack in and crank them up to 11 :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Done a few things already!

The car came with no cup holders so i puchesed one

22647764371_5395674692_z.jpg

22647764991_f505177f5b_z.jpg

Did a light bulb change. I had some cree sidelights (although i'm pretty sure these are cheap knock offs!) spare at home so i fitted them

22013854024_f4680817f8_z.jpg

Turns out i had halogen bulbs in a projector. That would explain the crap output. HID kit was purchased soon after. I went for 5000k for the OEM look

22636621185_9031507f9d_z.jpg

Sidelights comparison

22013914884_101168cb24_z.jpg

Love how easy it is to remove the headlights. One pull of the peg (looks like a tent peg) and the unit is free. Unplug the connector block and hey presto, headlights removed!

22647907901_fdb0af240e_z.jpg

22636686765_0d3db0e296_z.jpg

The full beam had some horrible blue bulbs that would light up the housing blue. I didnt like this so i did a search to see what bulbs give that white look, are very good but not blue exterior. Came up with some Mtec's. Having had Mtec's before i knew they was a decent bulb make so i purchased a set.

22613572659_ec9195ed01_z.jpg

22587437927_b4df5cdfc2_z.jpg

22587440387_89128a9bea_z.jpg

Next i changed the pollen filter as i was getting an eggy smell. Harder than i thought due to access but got it sorted. Opted for a Mann one designed for cars with air con. Got this stuff too, though i havent used it yet.

23006068355_e67613e000_z.jpg

22992596382_05ea0183b5_z.jpg

Certainly needed it!

22587719888_3ebc4984c7_z.jpg

Next up was to clean the projector. Id heard about this on the volvo forum so i gave it a go. What a difference!

23047323535_111101c9d3_z.jpg

22628968558_01f4cab0e9_z.jpg

22628967968_f9a82cd3f0_z.jpg

23058564281_239f59d114_z.jpg

23047362375_d7ce8f1b3f_z.jpg

22446683724_bd8f9a1ea0_z.jpg

One thing i really didnt like was the gaiters around the gearknob and handbrake and the car came with no mats so my GF bought me some leather gaiters and new mats

23047356685_583788f8f0_z.jpg

22629042997_50cbbffb3e_z.jpg

Absolute nightmare to get it right as im unsure if they was for the correct model but unfortunately i ruined the old ones upon removal so i had to make these work. I love the look but the fir could be better so a later purchase may happen.

23021332436_43e7120613_z.jpg

23058551101_2816e0a2a3_z.jpg

22629037357_e613164a5b_z.jpg

22680058997_1d60c2df86_z.jpg

22475635664_1532ef0e82_z.jpg

22680059457_a3a6be8e15_z.jpg

And finally some (slightly) better pics

23058609991_8fc28e498f_z.jpg

22655199639_51d72db487_z.jpg

23033866462_27274eb483_z.jpg

Still really liking it. Love the lazy side of driving and its been faultless. Drives real nice and the comfort is nice to be in. Heated leather seats is lovely in the morning or after a long day at work. I do like the tinted rear view mirror and i've just realised i have auto wipers too! Admittedly it is a lot slower than the 1*2's ive had but i knew that. I will say that from 80mph up if feels much more solid and easy going. It sits at 2k rather than 4k like the 1*2's. Nice to have cruise control back too. The sound system is the nuts for a standard car too. Love playing my young mans drum & bass in my old mans car! :cool:

Anyway, thats where we are so far.

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Looks great bud, great up dates too.

I must replace the bulbs in the S60, the lights are shocking.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Good updates.
Wish all headlights were as easy to remove, it's hilarious how easy they are to get out.
Auto wipers are great - it's just a shame that you have to turn them on every time, completely defeating the object of automatic wipers.
If the heated seats aren't toasty enough for your liking get a VIDA and turn them up ;)
Is your stereo performance or high performance?

@Phase1sr if you've got OEM xenons then the bulbs are long life ones which means terrible output, OSRAM Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited or Phillips X-tremeVision bulbs will give a huge improvement.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Good updates.
Wish all headlights were as easy to remove, it's hilarious how easy they are to get out.
Auto wipers are great - it's just a shame that you have to turn them on every time, completely defeating the object of automatic wipers.
If the heated seats aren't toasty enough for your liking get a VIDA and turn them up ;)
Is your stereo performance or high performance?

@Phase1sr if you've got OEM xenons then the bulbs are long life ones which means terrible output, OSRAM Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited or Phillips X-tremeVision bulbs will give a huge improvement.
It hasn't bud, just standard bulbs.

Was going to replace them with the Mtecs.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I was in a thread on the Volvo forum bashing the Oe lights and some hero was saying they're fine..

They're sooooo bad, they need the above attention or they're like driving with you're eyes closed.. I really need to sort mine out, even the best Bosch bulbs are awful so I'm gonna have to do the cleaning and stick something better in there.. I read a thread about it before but seeing as my Volvo still isn't fixed, it's on the back burner

Last edited:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I hope you've read up on the issues associated with fitting HID kits on these?!?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
They have a habbit of burning out wiper motors or something. Theirs a few threads about it over on swede speed forum. I'll see if I can find you the main thread sometime today.

I think you either need to use a specific kit, buy an additional wiring kit or just run the risk of killing the wipers - something along those lines.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I bought a canbus free one from HID's direct and the chap on the phone said I need a smart kit on volvos and BMW's. This is what I have.

They're sales people, they aren't going to tell you it's possibly going to ruin your wipers. It's still worth reading up on the issues.

Here's one thread I could find. I'm sure I've seen one that details all the issues too. I'll keep looking!

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ID-Data-If-you-have-installed-a-kit-read-this

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Not a lot has happened with the car. Just been driving it. Get in and go. It's so easy to drive and over the cold days, the heated seats was lovely. Gave the car a thorough clean over the Xmas period. Wheels look like they are new. All is not good though because of 2 things:

1 - A few things need to be fixed. These include shocks as they are knackered. Was thinking of changing the springs at the same time for some eibachs. CV inner rubbers on both sides have split. I also have the SRS airbag light on. Turns out its due to one of the module's playing up. We have emailed the warranty people to see if this can be fixed under warranty.

2 - I want another Clio! Although I love the lazyness of the Volvo, I find it a bit boring and you know what they say..... They always come back! Lol. My GF also wants me to get another one too! We miss the fun and tinkering factor and fancy a quicker, fun car to play with together! This will be happening, however it'll be more of a usable toy than a minter.

So yes, that is where I am atm.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I know what your saying bud.

I keep looking at Cups. [emoji33]

It's just not me Scott. I tried, but the Jekyll in me wants to play :)

Not sure where it'll be a cup or 182 ff as it'll still be used every day so need some creature comforts. I'm also thinking coilovers, 15" wheels, buckets and harnesses, etc plus a few tra k days. Something that me and Emily can enjoy together, working on it and driving it.

Hahaha they always come back :smiley:

I hate my Clio as of late but i cant bring myself to sell it.

It's true Tom, they do. It'll be my forth! As for yours, keep it! They do test you but yours will be worth it.

Please be in a clio for CSF?

Possibly. We are going away in April to Thorpe Park for a weekend and in June we are off to
fuerteventura for a week. Who knows. Not sure what to do with the Volvo yet, or at least what to fix/spend on it.

That's why you sometimes should just push it into the garage and come back to it.. I know loads of people that wish they stored their 90s hot hatches.. wait till the numbers drop and it becomes a sellers market again.

My volvos still parked up broken.

This one is not as bad as yours.... Yet. Hopefully it'll go before the major problems do appear, if at all.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ph1 suffer from rust a bit more than ph2, although money had zero rust which is rare!

It's probably be a cheap 182 that I don't mind taking apart. Not a high mileage one though as I can't do it! Lol

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As you knOw i wanted to change/fix a few things before i put the Volvo up for sale. These things needed to be changed but also if i didn't do them, i think i would really suffer on the for sale value. So an ongoing issue ive had was the SRS airbag light stayed on for about 10-15 seconds on startup. Once that time had passed the light would go off. Not a major issue, but one that would hinder my chances or resale, plus its a mot failure as it stays on longer that the required amount of time.

Ive tried turning it on with 2 different systems and was then told its a volvo only diagnostics! Anyway, shot down to volvo and had it booked in for diagnostics. Turns out its the light module which controls it all. Once again, its a volvo only part so i ordered one. This had to be ordered from Sweden as its not a on the shelf item. Once that arrived i was booked in for fitting. All fitted and as it should :smile: Part was rather expensive at just shy of £250 though 😧

Next up was a new key. Once again, it was a volvo only part. When i phoned up about the car, the garage never mentioned about only having one key. I found this out when i arrived. I dont like having one key, plus once again it will higher my my chances again of resale. This was ordered and programmed by volvo again.

Unfortunately no pics of these. This week i ordered new shocks and springs. After much browsing ive found that the most regarded setup is Bilsteins B4's and Eibach Prolines. I ordered them on tuesday and both arrived yesterday. Here are some pics of the swap:

25294868545_58ede8ab68_z.jpg

24999289180_6a27c1fcda_z.jpg

24668168323_d5aa615691_z.jpg

25176690992_756740d488_z.jpg

Pics of the old setup on the rears:

24946455779_be8045f450_z.jpg

25287888136_7f0a5d3833_z.jpg

25287917126_8efafd1254_z.jpg

25221050631_050164f34c_z.jpg

24683607664_c47819fa4c_z.jpg

25287982956_6085ccce68_z.jpg

And the fronts:

25221106011_ba356577cf_z.jpg

24683622914_123a99d585_z.jpg

All fitted:

24687541073_905a466720_z.jpg

25314293115_9779d3b0f1_z.jpg

25196045952_3942d0a71d_z.jpg

24683681384_d86134d60b_z.jpg

The difference is night and day! So much better! It may even drop a tad more but im not fussed if it doesn't. I need to jack it up and twist the passenger side front spring as it slightly creaks when stationary, but other than that its all good.

I also have 2 inner cv boots split so i ordered some new gaiters. I ordered inners and outers just incase i ruined one on removal.

24595314183_b2bd48867f_z.jpg

The drivers has been changed, but ive yet to do the passenger side. Its on the cars though. Other that that, its little jobs like swap the handbrake gaiter for a better fitting one, get the cars alignment done and swap the lights back to standard non HIDS. There is a few issues but are very minor, so minor that some people would even mention them. I probably wont do anything about them, but will mention it in the for sale advert as and when i make it.

Thanks for looking,
Mark.

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, I was looking at them myself.... Heard good things

They are great brands to have, and together it's a great setup. The difference is amazing. It's like driving a new car. Not rigid, not bouncy, just right. I got them both from here and it all came in at £400, including delivery which took 3 days:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...ghEMAI&usg=AFQjCNHUCLoHL_BJ_rBmPXlpc3HWra5N3Q

So it's not going then?

No, it's still going. I wanted to fix these current issues it had first. I didn't want to out it up for sale with all these issues and limit my chances so I thought if I spend a bit of money on it, then it will appeal to a wider market. Hopefully.