ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vSphere and VM performance

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Everyday we get alerts from vcenter regarding CPU and memory usage going above 90%. Its always at the same time (8pm) and will last for up to 3 hours.

We have veeam backups for our 7 VMs which start at 8pm and finish around 11pm.

Everything points to the veeam causing the spikes, but not all the servers are backed up at this time, although they are also showing high CPU/memory usage at this time.

Is this normal?

E39 530i
hmmmmm, most likely veema is the cause as you have said. vSphere is good but I have found in the past that it doesn't report as good as V Man (by solarwinds) so it could be false reporting it you get what i mean. Are the services affected on VM which are running high with CPU/memory?

Audi TT 225
In my experience veeam should not (and does not) cause high CPU / Memory usage so there seems to be an issue here somewhere, are you doing multiple VM processing within the same job?

Also what version of Veeam are you using? What compression level is set? Also specs of the backup VM would be good, I assume it has at least 4 cores (ideally 8).

Last edited:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
The veeam jobs are staggered over the 3 hours. We are not experiencing any effects of this usage on users or production. Veeam version is 6.1 and compression is optimal.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
veeam is sat on a physical server (gl370 G6) and also runs arcserve. All the VMs i beleive have 2 CPUs & 4 cores with 4096gb ram.