ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vtec clio???

on hugely serious note, i want to start something this winter, something really mental, and was wondering if anybody has any input they could offer on whether it can be done, and any vtec honda engines that could pottentialy be a best doner fit for a mk2 ph2 clio,

i want to do something that ive never seen or heard of and vec a clio! frnt wheel, any help apreciated..

but seriously though... this is a genuine idea to go ahead if it can, im just not sure if it can be done??

i just wondering if anybdy else has ever had this thought and could offer any advice before i start the process, ive go some honda mad mechanic friends and access to everything needed, just not sure of what to do engine wise? as in which model

Clio 182
I really fancy doing a vag 20vt Clio...

If i was doing an engine transplant i'd have to be turbo'd imo.

moneys not the point to me mate, i got access to the tools and mechanical stuff and mechanics to create engine mounts etc, just was wondering if anybody has ever looked into anything similar, and could shed some lite on engines which would fit well, and not very well..... just an enqiery before i do it all myself and do the research..?

Arctic Blue FF 182
I would imagine you would be looking to use a Honda K20 engine. Lots of aftermarket parts available for it as well. Can be supercharged very nicely without too much effort

k20 supercharged, s2000 with RWD.

Problem is, where do you stop. If your going to custom make brackets, why dont you stick a RWD cosworth engine in, or an EVO engine in.

I think id stick with a VAG unit similar to the Clio TT.

clio 182
Imo it would only be worth it if you used the s2000 engine, anythin else wouldn't cut it power wise! Personally I would opt for a turbo'd lump, more potential! The f4r engine makes healthy power as it is so you need somethin special to make it worth while!

As said above, s2000 running gear and engine, rwd!

was thinking k20 tbh yes, they look a solid unit, pretty bulletproof accordin to the honda nuts, but in a clio would be pretty awesome! just trying to be a bit different.. the heads it would turn vtec'ing past as a clio, lol priceless :p

also, in reply to h3ppy, im not really a power freak, its guna be a huuuuge leap from a 1.2 thats in it currently!, dont really fancy the 2.0litre clio lump, want somethin a lil stronger, and a sorta project to do... i understand all ur views, maybe a s2000 lump and rear wheel is a bit far for me.. jus want some vtec power at a frnt wheel setup ???

Tbh the F4R is a pretty strong lump, dont really hear of many head gaskets going etc.

I just dont see the K20 being a massive step up from an F4R lump, although it would sound mint. Strap some ITB's etc or a super charger on (Which is what you will spend on custom mounts etc) and itll be even better.

2003 Clio 172
Just fackin turbo the 172....end of. A move to a k20 is a sideways step.

Engine is no better than the donk in there but at least the car is balanced around it's weight.

Jj

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I don't see why anyone would turn their heads just because it's a VTEC unit... If it's going to be loud exhaust/intake then most people will look just out of habit, and people that know about cars bit wonder why it sounds so high rpm for a Clio....

As said though, you don't come across as someone who has any idea of what this would involve, why bother is my first question.. Why not just get a Civic. It's not like there's a massive power advantage, Clio 172s are just as fast as Type R's anyway.

ValverInBits
Few things to think about:
Isnt the engine and gearbox around the other way? ie gearbox on the O/S. Makes mounting more than tricky
You'll need to take the car off the road for around twice the time you think you will. Things like fabricating engine mounts need thought and time rather than cash. After that comes the cash bit. Custom Driveshafts (reco-prop in luton), Custom downpipe, management, RR maps, oil cooler setup......even stupid little things (like boost pipes for me) will need to be budgeted in.

If you are serious about it, then you need something that's going to keep you enthusiastic for the life of the project. You have to ask yourself if a Vtec would do that, or would you prefer something different or something RWD?

+1, good power can be achieved with the F4R with BPU, i dont really see why people rave on about VTEC, its just better / more complex valve timing (esp AVTEC) than the F4R has, but its not worlds ahead in the power stakes.

You might aswell just SC or Tubro the F4R, but this does sacrifice the reliablity some what!

As said earlier, if you have the money you can get good power out of any of these blocks.

Tbh the F4R is a pretty strong lump, dont really hear of many head gaskets going etc.

I just dont see the K20 being a massive step up from an F4R lump, although it would sound mint. Strap some ITB's etc or a super charger on (Which is what you will spend on custom mounts etc) and itll be even better.

320d
It would be impressive to see done. However its only going to be as quick as an ITB'd 1*2 as the K20 produces 197bhp (which it actually does produce unlike the F4R's). It seems like a lot of effort for little gain over a now relitavely simple F4R conversion.

Trophy #473
Only advantage I can see is for the kudos... looking at the style of car you have at the moment. If it was for performance and you drive your car pretty hard then stick with the F4R as a base.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
seems alot of trouble for not much gain...

VAG 20v Turbo engine would be better bet if you wanna go to all the trouble of an engine swap

I sense lots of 'talk' rather than any action though ;)

and LOL at people turning heads as Clio 'vtecs past'

Er..... how would they know?

White Sti Hatch
Pointless, easier to ITB a F4R as been said already, can get 7,500rpm lol, thats plenty!

Yes 7.5k is plenty but nothing beats watching a rev counter bounce of near 10k RPM's in an N/a Honda engine, plus v-tec with the right exhaust sounds the nuts !