ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VVT delete

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
Hi everyone.

So my plan is

I have a 50k engine k4m800 it's 1.6 16v vvt

I want to remove vvt and this is how

The head and cams off a k4j780 engine 1.4 16v no vvt.

(Apparintly the 2 engines use same 1.4 and 1.6 heads)

Put this head onto my 50k k4m800 engine

Get a k4j780 1.4 ecu verginized.

My thinking is this should fire up?

Someone said I could use the orignal vvt ecu as it would detect no camshaft sensor and switch to none vvt map

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
what's your end goal? it seems a complicated change why do you want to remove the VVT? or is it going into a pre VVT mk2 clio?
I was having the dreaded dephaser rattle. Replaced it Long with new cambelt and so on. 3 months later it rattling again. Turns out these dephasers have a design flaw. Renault had Delhi redesign the part. I contacted renault and they wanted £220 for the dephaser but couldn't garentee I would recive the new redesigned version. So rather just delete the vvt. I have a spare engine already stripped and ready for the k4j780 head to go on. I belive the only difference is the stroke from the 1.6 to 1.4 the 1.6 has a longer stroke. I guess I will just have to try it and report back if it works or not.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yes 1.6 is just a stroked version.

I was curious as to what car it was going into due to gearbox mounting. I would imagine it will throw an error if it doesn't have a dephaser solenoid plugged in, it's maybe worth contacting fastchip at www.fastchip.nl to see if they can offer a solution for you to flash a non vvt map onto your car.

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02

I was curious as to what car it was going into due to gearbox mounting. I would imagine it will throw an error if it doesn't have a dephaser solenoid plugged in, it's maybe worth contacting fastchip at www.fastchip.nl to see if they can offer a solution for you to flash a non vvt map onto your car.

Sorry. Its going into a clio mk3 thatbi have slightly been modifying over the years. My plan is to turbo it eventually low boost.
I have disconnected the camshaft sensor. And engine still runs. I'm thinking that with this disconnected the ecu will disable vvt on the map. This is a good sign as the 1.4 head has no camshaft sensor. As the camshaft sensor is only used for the vvt.

I think what I will do is put the 1.4 non vvt head on and try to fire it up with orignal ecu. If no look then I can try the verginized 1.4 ecu. I thi k I would have better look with the 1.4 ecu thought as it has no vvt map. Failing all that I could get my orignal ecu mapped like you say.

My 1.6 vvt engine is on 50k. Do you think it be OK to reuse the rockers ? On the hydrolic lifters? They might be in better condition than the ones in the 1.4 head

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I honestly think your overcomplicating it, id stick a new dephaser on it, i get you had an issue with a faulty dephaser, ive not heard of any issues with them previously, if its a faulty part then renault should be swapping it out under the parts warranty? Id imagine if a known issue has been found with a certain batch then all the faulty ones still in stock will have been recalled.