ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VW Bora - Enhancement (Ads_172)

E87 118d M Sport
Ads_172 popped up on Monday for an Enhancement on his Bora.
The task was as much paint correction as possible in a 1 day period.
Although the car wasn't VERY swirled, VAG paint is pretty damn hard and after seeing some of the pics I knew it would be a tricky one.

Seeing as I'm not one for passing up a challenge we started bright and early.
Car arrived and was inspected as per usual. Ads had done a fair few miles since the last wash so the front end was covered with a nice layer of insect remains.

Typical wash and dry (I won't bore you with the details) to see what I was up against.

058.jpg

060.jpg

The whole car was covered in this level of swirling, as well as some random deep scratches (RDS) over the doors and bumpers.

Seeing as I only had 1 day to complete this and the main focus was to remove as much of the damage as possible (coupled with the fact they aren't exactly the smallest of vehicles) I played around with a few combinations, but decided on the SIM180 with 3M Fast Cut plus and a green Hex-Logic pad.

This combination produced a great level of correction:

068.jpg

(the almost horizontal line half way up the pic is the residue left from the tape for a 50/50. You can see the odd RDS, but as I said (and Ads knew) we couldn't achieve 100% correction in 1 day).

The whole car was attacked in the same way:

078.jpg

After the car was finished (a good 6 hours later), time for a snow foam, rinse and dry (to remove the dust):

088.jpg

088.jpg

And then, as arranged, onto the testing of a new product I picked up recently.
Nanolex is a product range I'm starting to really fall for as it really is amazing stuff (expensive, but then the good things always tend to be).

Nanowax (http://www.nanolex.de/en/nanolex-nanowax) is basically a sealant (with similar nano technology to their other products) and a wax. It is a cream that can be used pretty sparingly (as with most of the nanolex products) and offers a fantastic level of protection and durability whilst still leaving a pretty good shine.

At around £30 for 200ml I put it to the test against 2 competitors of around the same value (£29-32); Dodo Juice Blue Velvet and Autoglym HD wax (both, in my opinion, great products that I use regularly)

The bonnet was taped up to allow the nanowax to be compared to both BV and HD side by side:

104.jpg

As far as being a wax, it beads just as well as the others:

105.jpg

Beading on the roof:
112.jpg

and a close up:
upclosebeading.jpg

And as far as being a sealant, it sheets VERY well:

118.jpg

119.jpg

121.jpg

(remember, the boot of a Bora is basically flat, so no angle like a bonnet for the water to run down)

On the whole, the Nanowax is a fantastic product. Easy to apply, even easier to remove and its not clear like alot of the other Nanolex products so you can easily see where you've been. The shine (granted not really visible in these pics as was a gloomy evening) is as strong as a good wax and when coupled with the knowledge that with regular maintenance with neutral shampoo this product can last upto 9 months, I am very impressed.
For the price I'm sure this will be a very popular choice for alot of people who want to try the Nanolex range at an affordable price.

Here are a few pics of the car finished (yes, it did decide to rain just as we'd finished):

130.jpg

142.jpg

136.jpg

Thanks for your time.

Skoda Fabia vRS
nice, my Skoda paint is similar, most things on my PC wont touch it, it takes a very long time using Power Gloss to correct it

how much do you charge for something like this ?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Interesting to see the tests on the bonnet - keep us posted RE the durability on the Nanolex side of things.

How did you get away with using 3M FastCut+ as a single pass? Or, did you make second refining pass afterwards with a finer combination?

E87 118d M Sport
nice, my Skoda paint is similar, most things on my PC wont touch it, it takes a very long time using Power Gloss to correct it

how much do you charge for something like this ?

Where abouts are you based mate?

Interesting to see the tests on the bonnet - keep us posted RE the durability on the Nanolex side of things.

How did you get away with using 3M FastCut+ as a single pass? Or, did you make second refining pass afterwards with a finer combination?

Yeah I've spoken to Ads and he agreed to let me know on the durability and longevity. From what he said he has a safe wash technique so shouldn't strip anything.
TBH Jim it produced great results. Obviously it hasn't got the high gloss that a finishing combination would have, but Ads' main concern was removing the damage.
I used the Zennith Technique to get the best from the FastCut+ and with the nice creamy wax the car looked great. Shame the sun went in literally 15 mins before we'd finished, but Ads' has said when he's washed it and there's some sun about he will take a few more shots, so I will update this.

E87 118d M Sport
Looks great mate! Glad you had some sun for the finished shots!
Keep me posted on the bonnet and I can update here and the DW thread.
(If you don't mind I'll nick a few of the pics)

Will read it properly later, but looks like great results for a limited time correction. Interested to hear from Ads about the longevity, as mentioned above. Nice colour as well, chose well.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah absolutely fine to nick the photo's Mark, they're a pretty good resolution on Flikr I think but let me know if you'd like them by disc or email. I'll try and continue to update this thread with the bonnet test over the next few months also.

The rain kind of deceived the results at the time and the car being dirty straight after meant I couldn't really see the difference that Mark's work had made. Now that she's clean again the difference in the depth of finish is really quite staggering.