ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VXR CORSA OR CLIO r27 197

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Did anyone else in this thread go on one of those VXR trackdays?

imho the Corsa was the most fun on track, even the astra was understeering but the corsa was so damn agile it was great, and had a nice little punch on the straights, albeit not as much as the astra.

I'd need ot have a blast in a 197 round a track though to compare as I've only driven one around normal roads.

Although I saw a racing blue 197 the other morning and my god did it look good, anyone who says they look just like a standard model need shooting. The width of the thing at the front was unreal.

I did :) I liked the Astra personally, but the corsa still felt good.

I've vouched never to own a renault again so it would have to be the vauxhall.

J03

MX5 1.8
^£400 takes it upto 230bhp and muchos torque. That's only their Phase 1 map too, a revised Phase 2 map is out shortly, so see how much that gives.

VXR-Corsa-After.jpg

Would love to see how quick they are with that remap, and what sort of MPG they return once mapped.

:dead: jesus that hell of a lot for a 1.6!!!!! mind you whats phase 2 going to be??!?
well ive heard from some corsa users without the remap of course, returned an average of about 30mpg-35

clio 172 cup
vxr anyday but i would wait until 3yrs old b around 7grand engine mods will b massive bet regal have the 0-60 under 6secs very soon

182 inferno for long time
on looks alone the r27 is in a differnt league to the vxr, in my opinion. but i think like someone said on this thread the vxr will sell like hot cakes for its raw power. but agree the r27 needs spicing up on the inside.

clio 172 cup
1 thing ive noticed since buying me cup u can get caught out to low down rev range when racing 150lb torque is rubbish never again will i buy another car that hasnt got a turbo

Clio 172 mk2
Figures on paper and 0-60 drag times mean jack s**t

The Clio has got to be a better all rounder for 'driver satisfaction' plus you wouldn't feel a nob driving one:D

My trusty lil 182 :)
tbh I don't particularly like the look of either. They are both just a bit big. If I had to have one, I'd prob pick the VXR.

MCS R56
Figures on paper and 0-60 drag times mean jack s**t

The Clio has got to be a better all rounder for 'driver satisfaction' plus you wouldn't feel a nob driving one:D

Exactly. I couldn't give a $hit if the Corsa is slightly faster. It looks gash and is not as well set-up as a 197. The N/Ring time means jack too. Okay, it's a good time in the VXR but it's mostly about the driver and how insane he is! Cups can beat that time.

MCS R56
Hot hatches shouldn't need turbos. And the fact that the VXR can't handle the power/torque it has already shows why it's not a great hot hatch. For me it would always be handling over power. Not that the 197 is the final answer in handling.

The VXR will be a MaxPower hero. Enough said.

Have you seen that video (and read the review) by Evo mag where it had 3 turbo'd hot hatches and the 197 driving along A and B roads (i.e. real world driving and not track driving)?

The 197 couldn't keep up! So I wouldn't say the turbo'd hatches can't handle the power.

I said the VXR couldn't. Maybe the Mini etc can buit the VXR was all over the place on the track at least.

Hoff, no I haven't driven one and don't intend too. I don't own any Burberry so I'm not allowed.

Scirocco GT 210
Have you seen that video (and read the review) by Evo mag where it had 3 turbo'd hot hatches and the 197 driving along A and B roads (i.e. real world driving and not track driving)?

The 197 couldn't keep up! So I wouldn't say the turbo'd hatches can't handle the power.

I said the VXR couldn't. Maybe the Mini etc can buit the VXR was all over the place on the track at least.

The VXR was one of those three turbo'd hatched that the 197 couldn't keep up with.

MCS R56
Yeah, up the hill on the roads, I saw that. I saw a piece of film where the Clio 197 beat the VXR on the track. It did not appear to handle as well as the Clio, even with the extra poke, hence the loss.

I don't like the VXR or anything about it. You will not convince me otherwise. That's why I would choose the Clio. I'm not a fan of turbos, which makes the Clio even more appealing. Yes?

Clio F1 R27
The Corsa is dog sh1te.

It's like this...If you like the look of the Corsa you must either be a dumb little chav or have no sense of style and sophistication.

The car looks like a Japanese hatchback gone wrong. Any decent bird I know (including my girl) thinks they look chav and crap.

I take girls opinions of cars quite seriously.

Vauxhall sports cars historically handle like sh1te. Even the Police moan about having them. They torque steer, roll like crazy and are a nightmare to control.

RenaultSport is based on years of Renault's motorsport experience and successes.

Where are Vauxhall in any motorsport event?

I think Renault should have given the 197 some more power, but any intelligent human being would take the machine that wins with looks and handling.

For me there's only two choices for looks and performance....

either a 197 or a Golf GTI

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Me and my Mrs went to a dealers to have a look at one. They only had a red one in and that was the managers! hmm, i'm a bit embarrassed to say but i quite liked the look of it! and that's coming from me who i thought had a bit of style!!

I must say in my defence i will probably end up with a R26 in the near future but my Mrs loved the Vxr so much so that we've booked a test drive next Tuesday!

I dont think i'd argue if she ended up getting the Vxr and me the R26!

182 inferno for long time
Me and my Mrs went to a dealers to have a look at one. They only had a red one in and that was the managers! hmm, i'm a bit embarrassed to say but i quite liked the look of it! and that's coming from me who i thought had a bit of style!!

I must say in my defence i will probably end up with a R26 in the near future but my Mrs loved the Vxr so much so that we've booked a test drive next Tuesday!

I dont think i'd argue if she ended up getting the Vxr and me the R26!
best of both there bud

J03

MX5 1.8
The Corsa is dog sh1te.

It's like this...If you like the look of the Corsa you must either be a dumb little chav or have no sense of style and sophistication.

The car looks like a Japanese hatchback gone wrong. Any decent bird I know (including my girl) thinks they look chav and crap.

tbh thats just a very stereotypycult comment, you havent driven one your basing your opinion purely on how it looks.

clios always been a girly car... and the new one doesnt really make it any different, i see more women driving clios than men.

take a look at the astra VXR.. thats becoming a very common site on the roads these days, am very sure the corsa will be aswel soon. the 197 maybe fast on the track, but most claim there isnt any power feedback in the car, you cant feel the power, where as the VXR thrust you in your seat while you put your foot down. and that engine is so much more tunable. with phase 2 and 3 yet to be released the car would be superior in looks performance, it may look chaved up but it will have the power to say, yeah i can whoop your ass so dont even try

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The Corsa is dog sh1te.

Vauxhall sports cars historically handle like sh1te. Even the Police moan about having them. They torque steer, roll like crazy and are a nightmare to control.

RenaultSport is based on years of Renault's motorsport experience and successes.

I think Renault should have given the 197 some more power, but any intelligent human being would take the machine that wins with looks and handling.

ROFL! :S

The fact that Giovanardi is a mere four points behind Plato in the BTCC standings clearly shows where Vauxhall are. Good luck to them, I say.

I guess you're the direct opposite of me. Even if I could get a new, fully loaded Golf GTi for £10k, I'd ignore it. Actually, no, that's a lie. I'd have it, then flog it to some poor 'ol sap for £20k+ :cool:

D.

Scirocco GT 210
Yeah, up the hill on the roads, I saw that. I saw a piece of film where the Clio 197 beat the VXR on the track. It did not appear to handle as well as the Clio, even with the extra poke, hence the loss.

I don't like the VXR or anything about it. You will not convince me otherwise. That's why I would choose the Clio. I'm not a fan of turbos, which makes the Clio even more appealing. Yes?

I wasn't trying to convince you, I was just offering my unbiased view/observations.

I wouldn't buy either.

P.s. Stevo_172's post was pure comedy. lol

172 cup
The Corsa is dog sh1te.

thats the biggest load of shite ive heard for a good while, seriously grow up son

J03

MX5 1.8
why do everyone refer to things as being chav now days.... as if chavs invented bobykits and other thigns... so basically anycar with a body kit is refered to as chav??? my friend has an evo with a standard whack of spoiler and loud exhaust hes got 17s on it aswel.. ok then so his evo is a chav car...

why do everyone refer to things as being chav now days.... as if chavs invented bobykits and other thigns... so basically anycar with a body kit is refered to as chav??? my friend has an evo with a standard whack of spoiler and loud exhaust hes got 17s on it aswel.. ok then so his evo is a chav car...

nope, thats just a chavs wet dream!

Small cars like clios and corsa's get referred to as chav cars when they have over the top bodykits because so many of them are 1.2s etc and all show no go.

J03

MX5 1.8

Small cars like clios and corsa's get referred to as chav cars when they have over the top bodykits because so many of them are 1.2s etc and all show no go.

i could understand that but chavs are not exactly wealthy enough to do their cars like that... most of which live in council houses and survive on benefits

i could understand that but chavs are not exactly wealthy enough to do their cars like that... most of which live in council houses and survive on benefits

You obviously dont live in the Midlands...

MCS R56
So we're all agreed then?

Let's face it, you either like the Corsa or you don't. I don't.

The chav comments are maybe a bit too much as the Mini forum calls all the Clio drivers chavs, so it's a wicked circle.

Some people have mentioned that they would have the Clio if it had more power or torque, but where does it stop? In 10 years, will there be a Corsa with a twin turbo, 3.0 litre engine that develop 350bhp? I don't think the power should need to go above 200bhp on a small hatch. The 172 works as did the Willy, as did the 205. For me it's the feel, not the pace or tuning potential. That is why, as the header asks, I would have a 197.

Clio F1 R27
The Corsa is dog sh1te.

tbh thats just a very stereotypycult comment, you havent driven one your basing your opinion purely on how it looks.

clios always been a girly car... and the new one doesnt really make it any different, i see more women driving clios than men.

take a look at the astra VXR.. thats becoming a very common site on the roads these days, am very sure the corsa will be aswel soon. the 197 maybe fast on the track, but most claim there isnt any power feedback in the car, you cant feel the power, where as the VXR thrust you in your seat while you put your foot down. and that engine is so much more tunable. with phase 2 and 3 yet to be released the car would be superior in looks performance, it may look chaved up but it will have the power to say, yeah i can whoop your ass so dont even try

What a load of rubbish! Perhaps the standard Clio is more for girlies, but we are discussing hot hatches here. Why don't you have a look at the volume of MALE RenaultSport owners to women on this website and you'll realise that RenaultSport Clio is driven predominatly by men!!

J03

MX5 1.8

What a load of rubbish! Perhaps the standard Clio is more for girlies, but we are discussing hot hatches here. Why don't you have a look at the volume of MALE RenaultSport owners to women on this website and you'll realise that RenaultSport Clio is driven predominatly by men!!

yeah i understand that.. maybe women dont bother comin on here.. just all us geeks... lol but tbh.. the clio does have that ''cute chic'' looks... refering to the 182.172 and phase clios..

Clio F1 R27
The Corsa is dog sh1te.

I'm not just basing my opinion on looks...I'm basing it on the fact that I've owned two 172's, driven a couple of 197's and an Astra VXR. The Astra is quick but no way handles as well as any RenaultSport car I've driven.

I also base my opinion on reviews by trusted people like 5th Gear and Top Gear, who both love the 197!! It was great to see Tiff hail the 197 and struggle to keep the VXR on the track lol

J03

MX5 1.8
I'm not just basing my opinion on looks...I'm basing it on the fact that I've owned two 172's, driven a couple of 197's and an Astra VXR. The Astra is quick but no way handles as well as any RenaultSport car I've driven.

I also base my opinion on reviews by trusted people like 5th Gear and Top Gear, who both love the 197!! It was great to see Tiff hail the 197 and struggle to keep the VXR on the track lol

fair enough, still i thought that comment was based on how the car looks rather than anything eles

Clio F1 R27

yeah i understand that.. maybe women dont bother comin on here.. just all us geeks... lol but tbh.. the clio does have that ''cute chic'' looks... refering to the 182.172 and phase clios..

And to be honest that what makes the Clio Sport special. The car's arn't overstated in their looks. At first glance a 172/182 or 197 looks like a nice car but when you take a second look it grabs you're attention for it's detail and presence.

Everyone has an opinion, but I think the Corsa looks like a cheap version of the new Civic...