ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wandering issue confused.?

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
So I fitted coilovers driveshaft and ball joint on drivers side along with a set of rotas, tracking was well out so had it done and the car wanders at speed feels very unsafe.
The tracking was done and was spot on.
The car is fine when turning no wobble or vibration
No play in steering arms they were new in January no play in ball joints either.
When I turn the wheel even slightly the wheels move without delay.
Checked top mount bearings both are fine.
Tyre pressure and balance are fine.
Whats left ?

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Would the camber cause the steering to feel lose I didn't think it would track if the camber was out? Never set up coilovers before. Both sides are set the same dead straight.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
No bought off here, rear shocks seem fine,
It feels like the steering is disconnected but if I even touch the wheel the wheels respond

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I rekkon its camber. Car lowered, negative camber induced as a result. Can still make the wheels point forward fine.
The more -camber then the less the contact point on the road surface, meaning less resistance hence feeling loose?

Theory sounds right in my head anyway :)

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
I'll try swapping the front to rear if that fails, ill go get the camber adjusted,
Cheers guys let you how I get on

RB Clio 182
try swapping the front wheels to rear, can be dodgy tyre wear due to incorrect alignment

This made a missive difference for me, my car felt like it was pulling to the right on acceleration and drifting left on deceleration, swapped the fronts to backs and it cured it.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Vmax tyre pressure is fine, not had a chance to do anything yet had to work late,
I did notice earlier I have a sticking rear caliper wheel was red hot could this be the cause ?

Can you post your tracking settings?

IIRC a little toe out at the front will improve turn in but also make it somewhat wander-y at speed. I think that's what I'm running at the moment and it is 'lively'...

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
It was the ball joints the drivers side was completely fucked worse I ever seen it was brand new aswell