ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wandering steering

182 Cup
So having read through a large proportion of threads along a similar vein, i'm going to put my problem down, and whats been checked.

Its mainly when accelerating, but will happen at relatively low speed on camber changes, and big pit holes. It can pull either way, but its fairly strong.

Tracking - Checked at a local place today, suspension is entirely standard. He said it was bob on. He said something about +1 -1 which makes it parallel. If I'm honest I know nothing about it.

Steering Rack bushes : tiny bit of movement. Nothing major so assume they're not in bad nick.

Top mounts: make a lot of noise parking so presume they're missing the spacer.

Track rod ends + tid rods + ball joints. -visually look in ok nick, no sign of major play in the joints.

Now the only things left in my mind are; Tyre Pressures being wrong - i have them set to 34psi front, 30psi rear.

Shocks -front or rear

Springs- possibly a non obvious snapped one?

Missmatched rear tyres - no idea if this would have such a dramatic

So just wondered if anyone had any more thoughts, or ways to check without replacing every part in sight (as I can't afford that)

Cheers

Last edited:
  172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Can't help much, but 34 sounds too high. With my Ph1 172 the amount of wear on the tyres makes a big difference. If they are 60% worn the handling feels all over the place.

182 Cup
Any kind of movement, and they're fcuked?

Hmm, will have to get mick to have a look when I get my cambelt done then!

182 Cup
On reading through this section today, peanuthead is having pretty similar problems to me. He had his alignment done, and it sorted it he said.

So the bloke yesterday said -1 toe out +1 toe in which makes it parallel? is this right as I seriously can't work out whats right or not with alignment :(

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Im in the same situation currently, to be honest Ive not had anything checked yet but I get pulled all over the place when crossing cats eyes odd cambers etc.

Ive noticed this after I went from steel wheels to 182 wheels, I just put it down to the wider wheels following the camber in the road more etc.. but maybe its not? :S

182 Cup
At least people are having a similar problem as me then :D lol.

Next plan of attack is to double check tyre pressures. Recheck Top mounts, Steering Rack Bushes (paint marker to see movement), check shocks for leaks, check for cracked springs.

If I can't spot anything, then I'll wait till the 18th and see if Mick @ Diamond Motors has time to do a quick spin after doing my Cambelt etc. If he can't find anything, I'll plump for new Tyres (as they're mismatched and the PE2 left on the back is looking a little worse on the age department)

clio 172 cup/mk1 xr2
i am sick of hearing this problem being mentioned and no one has come up with a definite answer to the problem, i have had my clio 172 cup for five years and started to have steering wonder in last 2 years, changed ball joints, trackrods, polly bushed everything, new tyres, new shocks eibach springs, now will be fitting solid top mounts, steering rack bushes and engine mounts and will be also changing the ball joints and track rods again just to make sure they are perfect as they are about a year old.but is there any difference from 172 cup with 172 with any of the parts mentioned. also my gearbox packed in and my dephaser is noisy and dont get me started with the electrics if i new this was going to be the case with french shite i would have saved up a little more and bought a honda integra now im sick as i have probebly spent double the difference now and still got more to go, im not saying the clio is a bad car to drive beats lots of faster cars but with the problems they have wish i sold it after a year. love it really but its costing to much now and cant sell it with these problems. thats my ranting over thanks

Ph2 Flamer
Mines been feeling like like it's being driven over ice almost recently. Put it down to pissing about doing handbrakes in an empty carpark as its been 'floaty' since then. No clue what the problem is but feels just like the OP says.
No vibration at motorway speeds which i've had when alignment/balance not right. But it tramlines when it shouldn't and feels shifty, twitchy at whatever speed and little bumps like cats eyes have a much bugger effect than i ever used to find. Wheel seems to have more play like i can move it a bit left and right without making the car move at all. Pretty sure it used to be tight as f**k. Garage on Monday for a look over.

Cup In bits
It's pretty simple tbh, check and change anything gibbol172cup has mentioned above.

Dont check it yourself if you DON'T know what your doing as it will just result in more of these silly threads that people never seem to use search and three people in the same day ask about the same thing over and over (not directed at op)

Have someone competent check everything over before having a good geo done at a reputable place and doing your tyre pressures correctly before hand. Another one is the steering column wear on some of the higher mileage cars that are about know.

For the op, make sure the tyres are the same make preferably, if not then the correct size and aspect ratio. By what you have said swapping tyres from left to right on the front axle might help you. I have seen this causing pulling, no idea why but it works in some cases.

P.s +1 & -1 is a bit of a cop out on the alignment, it works okay but personally I notice the difference when driving. Get someone reputable to do it and get him to spend the extra time playing to get it right as per tec specs maybe even +1 toe out both sides. I'm guessing it was Kwik fit or the likes that done it previously???

Cup In bits
i am sick of hearing this problem being mentioned and no one has come up with a definite answer to the problem, i have had my clio 172 cup for five years and started to have steering wonder in last 2 years, changed ball joints, trackrods, polly bushed everything, new tyres, new shocks eibach springs, now will be fitting solid top mounts, steering rack bushes and engine mounts and will be also changing the ball joints and track rods again just to make sure they are perfect as they are about a year old.but is there any difference from 172 cup with 172 with any of the parts mentioned. also my gearbox packed in and my dephaser is noisy and dont get me started with the electrics if i new this was going to be the case with french s**te i would have saved up a little more and bought a honda integra now im sick as i have probebly spent double the difference now and still got more to go, im not saying the clio is a bad car to drive beats lots of faster cars but with the problems they have wish i sold it after a year. love it really but its costing to much now and cant sell it with these problems. thats my ranting over thanks

You need 172 cup inner tie rods and everything else doesn't matter which model it's for.

182 Cup
It's pretty simple tbh, check and change anything gibbol172cup has mentioned above.

Dont check it yourself if you DON'T know what your doing as it will just result in more of these silly threads that people never seem to use search and three people in the same day ask about the same thing over and over (not directed at op)

Have someone competent check everything over before having a good geo done at a reputable place and doing your tyre pressures correctly before hand. Another one is the steering column wear on some of the higher mileage cars that are about know.

For the op, make sure the tyres are the same make preferably, if not then the correct size and aspect ratio. By what you have said swapping tyres from left to right on the front axle might help you. I have seen this causing pulling, no idea why but it works in some cases.

P.s +1 & -1 is a bit of a cop out on the alignment, it works okay but personally I notice the difference when driving. Get someone reputable to do it and get him to spend the extra time playing to get it right as per tec specs maybe even +1 toe out both sides. I'm guessing it was Kwik fit or the likes that done it previously???

Yay, someone replied to my main question about the tracking! :D I'm going to get the tyres changed as soon as I can I think, then get Mick to have a look.
I reckon it could be something to do with the rear shocks but although I'm a mechy fitter for work, cars aren't in my comfort zone!

Tracking wise will have to get done when i get chance, which isn't currently going to be soon, especially as I'll have to make a trip to Nottingham to do it seeing as no one in Lincoln that I know of is really any good. All kwik fit, national tyre etxc.

Peddled device
My 182 Cup is 50k, never crashed,new shocks all round, springs Eibach Sportlines....everything checked by Birchdown. Sometimes,whilst turning at low speeds, it feels like the tyre will come of the rim on the fronts....but this is normal due to the Cup suspension I'm told. There are some roads that make the car 'tramline', meaning it seems to follow undulations in the road. Its been booked in at Blink next Saturday for them to check its set up right. The guys at Birchdown told me a few months ago that it just needed the alignment sorting and I trust them 100%. Since then we've had bad weather and lots of pot holes forming, of which I have hit two bad ones. I'm sure this has knocked the tracking out, and maybe my tyre pressures are wrong. I'll post up what Blink sort out for me. Hope this helps.

Peddled device
I went to Blink Motorsport today. The tyres pressure were slightly too high (33psi) and were lowered to 30 all round. Everything looked fine, except the front wheels were toeing in very slightly (0.01 and 0.02). This was adjusted to toe out (0.06 and 0.06). The car now feels much better at now at all speeds...i'm well chuffed :)