ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wanna get a 197

Twingo rs133
hi everyone
I see a silver 07 plate 197 and feel in love with it is there any bad points about the car?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cold start kangarooing is the main one. Mine was pretty bad, even after a dear ecu reflash. Still after a few mins it does clear. Some cars did/do suffer with crunching gearboxes, so watch for that. Other than that, they are a awesome car imo! Only got rid of mine to free up some coin for the house fund :(

197 Sport
hi everyone
I see a silver 07 plate 197 and feel in love with it is there any bad points about the car?

No;)
Though with the 200, Renault have ironed out all the problems, as far as i can tell after 1 week and 800 miles of ownership:D

Megane R26
- Recaro wear if it has them
- My steering wheel is melting
- The anthracite alloys can blister
- Poor MPG if you drive it hard, but 35-38 if achievable on a run. Mine is normally on about 23!

What spec are you looking at? I'd definitely make sure you get the Cup Suspension (unless you have a coilover fund), and the climate dash looks a lot nicer than the air-con only model. You can tell if it has Cup Suspension from Red Brembo's and Anthracite wheels.

Epic car otherwise, despite what most say on here ;)

Rally bus
Cold start kangarooing is the main one. Mine was pretty bad, even after a dear ecu reflash.

Dear? Renault did the remap for free on mine, I just had to quote the relevant code off their system.

I had the melting steering wheel too, that was replaced under warranty.

The other thing I don't like about mine is not having a 7th gear (or a taller 6th). Fuel economy is crap but get a diesel if you want good mpg.

LY R26
it thinks its in Austrailia.
The Gearbox

and the Recaros, well if its got them.

check the front bumper for the corner popping out at the join to the wing

Darren

White ds3
i wanted a white 1 a few months back but i just stuk with the 182. i dont think there is enough power gains to justify the upgrade

Twingo rs133
- Recaro wear if it has them
- My steering wheel is melting
- The anthracite alloys can blister
- Poor MPG if you drive it hard, but 35-38 if achievable on a run. Mine is normally on about 23!

What spec are you looking at? I'd definitely make sure you get the Cup Suspension (unless you have a coilover fund), and the climate dash looks a lot nicer than the air-con only model. You can tell if it has Cup Suspension from Red Brembo's and Anthracite wheels.

Epic car otherwise, despite what most say on here ;)
Its just a 197 not a cup its got silver wheels. Its got 20.000 on the clock and they want 11.300 4 it

RenaultSport Clio 197
I just bought a 2007 07 Nimbus RS197 with climate, Cabasse stereo and extra tints with a full history and 21,000 miles for £9990 from an independent trader in Fulham...:approve:

The car you are looking at is perhaps £1000 overpriced...;)

Twingo rs133
its got that cabasse stereo aswel. Im goin renault tommorow gonna look at a clio gt and a twingo 133. When everyone say the steerin wheels melt on the 197s what do u mean???

197 cup
I havent had any problems with the steering wheel melting as yet mines a 58 plate though so looks like i got it to look forward to. The kangarooing is a pain in the ass mine only does it from cold, i find turning the esp off til the engine warms up prevents it from doing it. The glove box lid is also dodgey mine looks like its warped, alot of 197's seem to be like it though.

Twingo rs133
I havent had any problems with the steering wheel melting as yet mines a 58 plate though so looks like i got it to look forward to. The kangarooing is a pain in the ass mine only does it from cold, i find turning the esp off til the engine warms up prevents it from doing it. The glove box lid is also dodgey mine looks like its warped, alot of 197's seem to be like it though.
My tom tom edition is 3 months old and the glove box is goin

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
Mines a 07 plate 21k miles, I dont have an issue with kangarooing, it doesnt like being cold though, but thats normal, just dont rev it through the gears when when its cold. My steering wheel is fine, no melting or what ever you guys are getting/ talking about, I dont see how it can actually happen either as its totally leather on mine?...dont think they are on the cup though.
see image for leather stiching.
8260.jpg

Its an awsome car anyhow and they go very very well indeed

It happens with the leather 197 wheel too, couple of people on here have it happening to theirs. It's due to the Renault using some cheap crap "leather".

Twingo rs133
Went renualt 2 day they had a 56 plate 197 with the steerin wheel problem and had a well nice 200 in light blue with the black wheels but they tryed muggin me off. I payed £12.500 4 my car brand new 3 months ago and now they wanna try and give me £8.500 i just walked out with the right arse

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
My old 197 cup had the glove box issue, though when i sold it that was the only squeak it had, not bad for a 14month old renault! Also never experienced the kangarooing issue, so its a usual renault buying lottery!
The worst part about the experience was the economy, on the upside it prepares you for a vee!

197 cup
My old 197 cup had the glove box issue, though when i sold it that was the only squeak it had, not bad for a 14month old renault! Also never experienced the kangarooing issue, so its a usual renault buying lottery!
The worst part about the experience was the economy, on the upside it prepares you for a vee!

Yea true i average about 23 most of time driving it quite hard though as thats what its for lol. On a motorway run its much better as you would expect. The glove box lid is just annoying, surely they don't come out the factory like it?! When i first got my cup i posted about it on 197.net and everyone seems to have the same problem. My glove box light stays on thats how bad it is. Back to renault when i get chance.

elise s1 175 / Clio 197
Its just a 197 not a cup its got silver wheels. Its got 20.000 on the clock and they want 11.300 4 it

i paid £9800 for a 25k MY06 197 with keyless/privacy glass/climate/cruise/cabasse in nov. £11300 is expensive IMHO

Last edited:
Could always sell your car private but I would doubt you would get much more it lost 2k as soon as you drove it off the forecort it will fall quite quicky in value for 12months it doesn't even out till the cars 2-3years save up some cash an when it reachs it's 2nd birthday trade her in for a rs

In the mean time remap if it's a tce and lower on Eibachs that
should make it more enjoyable ;)

LY R26
deffo mate,

pm me the reply to these:

Your registration,
Your Name and Address,
Email addy and phone number,

What colour of 197 your looking for,

and how much your looking to pay :)

Darren