ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Want to buy a used clio 200, advice please??

Hi guys, im new to cliosport and was hoping people could share their experiences and give me some advice please?

im 21 and aam saving up to buy a new car. i really want a clio 200, but can only afford to buy something around 59 plate, with 30000 - 45000 miles on the clock.

however i am abit worried that in buying a car that is 4ish years old, with that sort of mileage, that it will be getting to the stage that faults may start to occur, things may be getting abit over worn perhaps? and i just dont want to have to fork out extra money shotyl after purchase to get faults fixed.
was wondering what peoples experiences are of clio's when they get to this age and mileage? any reliability issues or problems?
also whether or not people would recommend me purchaing a car of this mileage and age? or whether i am best looking into a slightly old, but perhaps lower mileage 197? or even a lesser spec car altogether such as a clio gt 128bhp??
any thoughts??

finally, my current car is a 1998 ford fiesta.... getting abit past it.... and ride quality isnt brilliant obviously.
my driving is a real mix so want something with good comfort, but still good performance. i will not be driving in track days.
should i opt for a cup chassis pack? or stick to the softer option??

any view, opnions and advice would be appreciated!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Your budget will dictate what you secure, buy smart and you wont have many issues. Buying a used car at 3 year's old with 30-45k cannot guarantee anything of the sort. Buying a Clio GT will essentially not save you any money, not to mention the poor mpg they acheive for a 1600cc (thats another story).

If you buy one from here it means you can trace its history normally through previous posts/threads but it will never guarantee reliability. Renault Sport Clio's are reliable provided they're looked after, as you're probably aware used car buying is a lottery at the best of times.

Welcome btw.

Suzuki Jimny
Welcome!

I would try to get an extended warranty with the 200. Since you're looking at older ones, the steering rack/gearbox might need doing soon.

when you say buy smart, is there anything particular to the clio that i should perhaps look out for? any bad signs? other than the standard things you would check when buying any used car.

thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
First off, the 1.6 GT or the 2.0 dynamiqe S are complete bobbins. Avoid.

If you're not interested in track days or scene points, get the non cup pack. Its far better for every day use. But do bear in mind it makes it less desireable so yes it will be cheaper to buy, but it means it will be cheaper to sell. Slower steering on the non-cup also, if driving enthusiastically is your thing.

Bottom arms/ball joints are expensive but unless its been hammered on track, shouldn't need replacing until about 60k from what I gather.

Recaro seats make a car very sell-able but they divide opinions, I hate them! lol. it's down to personal preference.

With regards to history, the RS engines love regular oil changes so look for a car that's had plenty and avoid anything with missing history.

Key cards are expensive so look for a car with two working cards.

Tyres are another point to mention, theytransform the car so don't buy anything with autogrip specials on there and buy something that's been looked after with proper good rubber.

9 times out of 10 you can tell a well looked after car by the tyres its wearing. If the owner has bought budgets, chances are he/she's skimped elsewhere too.

Great cars though, i've had a few 197's and a 200 cup and i'll definitely have another.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Hi, welcome to the club!

Im 19 and bought my 200 a few weeks ago. I drive a 59 Plate 200 Cup with Recaro's on 28k. For reference, mine cost just over £9100 I think, from a dealer on here R-Sport.

Be prepared for the MPG shock, I rarely see above 24 MPG, and did a 100 mile motor way treck today, and only hit 31 MPG!

But.. What a car. They're fantastic. I've gone through 4 cars this year, as I've never found anything I truly 'love' - But this is a superb machine.

You won't look back!

Sneaky Edit: If you feel or hear a crunch in any gear, steer clear! They're made of chocolate lol, mine had a gearbox replacement in warranty, possible a steering wrack, can't remember.