ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warming a car up quicker?!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not exactly Clio related but might help someone with one!

With the cold mornings coming, is there anything I can do to get ym van to blow some warm air sooner?!
Already leave it running for 5 or so minutes first thing but doesn't seem to warm up any quicker.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Kick the absolute s**t out of it the minute you get in it, it's only a work van.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Ah fair enough. Don't need a gearbox, front bumper, or wither front wings for it do you?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Afraid not dude.
Sods law something will happen in it tomorrow now!

Buy some thermals and a warm coat?
Start it up, lock it and go back in the house for 5 minutes and finish your coffee/tea.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Air Con, heats it up quicker than normal heaters

Sounds ridiculous, but its true because it dehumidifies the air, and humidity is actually a lot harder to heat up than the air itself, as water is quite heavy and has a high specific heat capacity.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
^ I thought it was more that it clears the screen quicker due to the dry air, not that it gets hotter quicker.

Monaro VXR
Asked the dealers if they have winter grilles?

I have one for the C4 been fitted for a while now. So much nicer with it fitted.

Air Con is the best choice if you're trying to clear the screen of condensation/ice. As said, works better than putting the heater on full-chat!

RB 182
change the thermostat

Beat me to it.

My old 306 HDI was usually blowing hot air within 5 minutes so i see no reason why your van shouldnt be unless the the thermostats stuck open.

The thermostat was knackered in my S3 and that took over 15 minutes to start blowing hot air.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If it's a works van I'd just leather it from cold. I'd presume it would be diesel which doesnt wear like a petrol does when cold anyway.

LOL at people telling him to thrash the thing, it's his van so he'll have to foot the bill when it inevitably goes bang!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Beat me to it.

My old 306 HDI was usually blowing hot air within 5 minutes so i see no reason why your van shouldnt be unless the the thermostats stuck open.

The thermostat was knackered in my S3 and that took over 15 minutes to start blowing hot air.

yeah, who'd have thought a service item would make something work properly LOL

Engine block heater or use a power converter to warm up the interier.

I know someone who uses a heater in the car with an extension leads. gets up in the morning plugs in the extrension then later on gets into the car unplugs the extension and drives off cheaper as electricity is cheaper than fuel

After all you only care that the cars nice and warm inside not the engine itself.

182cup & 172 racecar
Engine block heater or use a power converter to warm up the interier.

I know someone who uses a heater in the car with an extension leads. gets up in the morning plugs in the extrension then later on gets into the car unplugs the extension and drives off cheaper as electricity is cheaper than fuel

After all you only care that the cars nice and warm inside not the engine itself.

Our mechanic at work does this,little fan heater,sorted and toasty warm.

Monaro VXR
This, lots of the diesel boys do this in winter to help with their MPG. sadacts.
And as said - put a new stat in.

Basically what the winter grille does on the C4. Makes a big difference to MPG though, Talking upwards of 10mpg difference in some cases. Which over a few months adds up to a fair chunk of fuel.