ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warranty Claims - Engine failure

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Wondering if anybody has had to claim under renault warranty for a new engine / rebuild on a 172/182 and what has been the fault?

A few have had claims for aux belts breaking and wrecking the valves etc. Same goes for cambelts breaking on there own.

R35 GTR
I met a guy who had done a few thousand miles in his 182, then at 100 mph on motorway dropped it down into the wrong gear. New box and engine under warranty.

172 cup TT
Haha Fred u flid :)

Yep i did....

My car went in due to having a vibration through my seat when accelerating (which i sware was caused AFTER it had been in to reno for the TDCS).. and a problem getting into reverse without crunching..

They said it was EITHER a box or clutch problem.. but to find out would cost something like £600 in labour alone!!!.. the problem i had was: IF it was wear and tear then it WOULDNT be warranty.. if this £600 of labour was carried out and they found it WAS a dodgy part then all warranty!.. Car went in, and seemed to stay for what seemed like months!...excuse after excuse... finally the car went to another garage due to work load?!!.. just after the clutch AND box was replaced under warrenty and the day i was due to pick it up i had a call saying "we have just taken the car out and a little problem... we have heard a noise from the engine and need a few days to check it out"... fair enough.. whats a few more days... they call me back saying "Your engines knackered, your getting a new engine under warrenty"?!?!!?.. i sware my engine was fine before it originally went into reno.. but hey... its been pretty much a new car mechanically wise for the last 10k so im not too fussed... I also paid nothing for any work what so ever! id say the work was not far off the cost of the car too!!

Any one have any ideas if you get warranty for a 10 month old engine even though my car is out of warrenty? im sure reno told me its a year..

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Floodie said:
:) youve "LOL"d his stupid g@y comment but said bugger all my Behemoth of a post! :)

Sorry, for some reason when I posted my 'LOL' comment your reply wasn't there. I think my screen hadn't finished loading properly.

Thanks for the reply :) Sounds like a big reno f@ck up there. I take it you never actually found out what the problem was and they simply said 'engines kanackered have a new one' or did they give you an explaination of what had happened?

With regards to warranty on the engine, I would assume they'd give you a 12 month warranty on it. That's what Subaru did with my old scoob after I got piston slap!

Last edited:
  172 cup TT
yeh mate it was basically "your engines in bits mate" when it was on proper top form before it went in... maybe they changed the oil for sand or something :)

Nippy white cup
I`ve had a couple of boxes and 1 engine. It started to `tap` pretty loud on tickover. They took in in and said that the cam follwers were fooooked and they would fix it. A day or so later they rang to say they had took pics and were sending them to RUK to try and authorise a new engine....which they eventually fitted for me. Just got to 40k...now on 50k and seems ok

Chris

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Hi guys,

im a new member from Australia. We have a site called ozrenaultsport.com feel welcome to stop past. Sorry to here about the engine failures. Our Renault service departments in Australia are not very good and can never find any failures.

I have a racing blue 182 with cup chassis and spoiler pack its standard i think in the UK but we only got the spoiler pack as a limited edition.

I have always wondered when they supply or replace an engine how do you/they tell if its a 172 or 182 engine?

Lionel Richie
engine codes are as follows

F4R followed by 3 numbers (F4R ***)

Gearbox code is JC5 (JC5 ***)

Mk 2 1 172 2.0 F4R 730 JC5 089 CB0M
Mk 2 2 Cup 2.0 F4R 732 JC5 129 CB1N0F
Mk 2 2 172 2.0 F4R 732/736 CB1N
Mk 2 2 182 2.0 F4R 738 JC5 130 CB22

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Thanks for that, i thought that was the case but in Aus i have had a few
K4MA 744's

Wasn't sure why they were coded like that?

Thanks

28of30 said:
Thanks for that, i thought that was the case but in Aus i have had a few
K4MA 744's

Wasn't sure why they were coded like that?

Thanks
K4M is a 1.6 16V Clio

Mk 2 2 Dynamic 1.6 16V used the K4M 744 engine and JB3 979 gearbox.