ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warranty on import car

Righty. Just had my 24000 mile service done at RenTech (Very good service, friendly and helpful - I recommend Mike to anyone).

Now my problem ... Mike pointed out two problems that I needed to get done under warranty - an oil leak from cam cover and NSR shock blown. Given I was already portsmouth way I decided to nip into sewards renault and book it in to get the work done. They told me that it was unlikely that the work would be 100% covered by warranty as "imports only have a 2 year / 24000 mile warranty".

Now I have searched on this forum and determined this to be untrue ... I have the (rw.jpg) copy of the letter from Renault HQ's service people, which details the various docs I have to provide in order to obtain the 3 year / 60000 mile warranty on imports ( it is just a matter of finding where the hell I put them :O) ).

So has anyone successfully done similar - getting work done on imports, under warranty, in the third year at sewards renault ? I understand that they have only relatively recently become a renault dealership - so might it be a case of being mis-informed ? If it turns out that they just point-blank refuse to do work under warranty in third year, can anyone recommend an alternative dealership in the portsmouth or further area ?

172 Cup
So has anyone successfully done similar - getting work done on imports, under warranty, in the third year at sewards renault ?

Yup on my first 172. Just go back to the dealer and tell them if they have a problem to call Renault UK there and then.

the fact thats its an import (arnt they all), is fine as long as its come from an EU country.. you get a 2yr deal as standard dealer warrenty, then you have to apply to reno for the third year manufacturer warrenty, this isnt standard if you got your car from cartain websites.. etc if if wasnt done at the start you might be in trouble....

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'm on my second import . You get 3 years full warranty and 3 years AA assistance on imports unless the car was sourced from Holland or was destined for Cyprus .

The first two years is the manufacturers warranty covered by Renault , the third year is covered by the dealership .

Phone Renault UK customer services .

Tel : 08000 723372

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
admob said:
the fact thats its an import (arnt they all), is fine as long as its come from an EU country.. you get a 2yr deal as standard dealer warrenty, then you have to apply to reno for the third year manufacturer warrenty, this isnt standard if you got your car from cartain websites.. etc if if wasnt done at the start you might be in trouble....

Sorry mate your wrong with the years . Its 2 years manufacturers and 1 year dealership .

But you might be right with him having a problem if it wasn't registered with Renault UK when it was first bought .

Like ya say , they are all imports ,lol, all from the same Alpine factory .

And the warranty shouldn't be affected as long it was serviced at a V.AT. registered garage and any parts fitted were original Renault parts .

MRBILLYUK said:

But you might be right with him having a problem if it wasn't registered with Renault UK when it was first bought .

I purchased the vehicle from Autoplanet in southampton so I assume it was registered with Renault UK.

Thinking there might potentially have been a problem, I got the 12000 service done at Linningtons in portsmouth (a Renault dealership). I then got them to confirm that this meant the vehicle was now registered on the "renault system" and they confirmed it was.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
beamer said:
I purchased the vehicle from Autoplanet in southampton so I assume it was registered with Renault UK.

Thinking there might potentially have been a problem, I got the 12000 service done at Linningtons in portsmouth (a Renault dealership). I then got them to confirm that this meant the vehicle was now registered on the "renault system" and they confirmed it was.

Just give Renault UK customer services a ring mate . As soon as i got mine home thats all i did , they'll most likely want your VIN number and reg number , then they put the car on the system , only takes a couple of mins , they were very helpful with me .

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Yeah RCS (08000 723372) were really helpful for me. I had the same question about my import. They asked for the VIN and Reg number and confirmed i had 3yr. Also my local dealer tried to make me have a service at 12 months when the car has only done 4.5k! said it would void my waranty if i didn't. RCS phoned them for me and put them straight! LOL cheeky B*stards.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Nez said:
Yeah RCS (08000 723372) were really helpful for me. I had the same question about my import. They asked for the VIN and Reg number and confirmed i had 3yr. Also my local dealer tried to make me have a service at 12 months when the car has only done 4.5k! said it would void my waranty if i didn't. RCS phoned them for me and put them straight! LOL cheeky B*stards.

Nice one . Some of the dealerships might be useless robbing b*stards but Ren UK customer services have always been alright with me :)

Thanks all for the advice.

Phoned Renault UK customer services - they took bunch of details and eventually confirmed I do have 3 years or 60000 miles (whichever comes first).
Told Sewards Renault as much when I dropped off the car - guessing they either realised they couldn't pull a fast one or genuinely thought it was up to 24000 miles (if so, I assume they confirmed themselves with Renault UK too). Anyway, they agreed that both the cam cover oil leak and shock absorber need attention - repair for oil leak is booked in for 2 days next week and shock absorber was described as "just damp at the moment" and should last another month or so.

They have agreed to do the oil leak repair under warranty and reckon it is a seven hour job. Anyone know why so long to repair an oil leak ? Will I get a replaced cambelt as part of the repair ?

They refused to do the shock absorber under warranty, saying those were only covered up to 24000 miles. I am thinking it will be prudent to get the shock replaced as soon as possible. Thoughts ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Oh well half a result anyway :) You might as well see if they will do the shock while its in for the oil leak , never done one myself but from i've read on here its minutes of a job not hours .

MK2 172
From reading other posts on hear I always thought that shocks where only covered in the first year as they are a wear and tear item. But my 52 172 with an extended Renault warranty is having its OSR shock replaced under warranty. Might be worth finding out from Renault if the shock is covered under warranty or not.

Parts like brakes, clutches and shocks arn't covered under warently as there wear and tear items but if they fail prematurrly like mine had done then its deemed to be a warently claim as they shouldn't fail in 50k or so etc.