ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warwick Castle

Hi All,

I went to Wawrick Castle on Saturday. What a lovely, well intact castle.

I had another play with my Tamron 10-24mm lens. I moved the Aperture to F8 because my pictures from Barcelona were a little soft around the edges IMO.

My pictures were okay, the move to F8 helped a little.

I then tried playing with PP and adding some gradients to my clouds.

I think it's obvious they've been edited.

Other peoples feedback, views and advice would be great!

7822290008_d211606a9c_z.png

Warwick Castle by Tom Cash, on Flickr

7822289348_b88c043232_z.png

Warwick Castle Trebuchet by Tom Cash, on Flickr

7822288418_fc2ff12798_z.png

7822287878_3c22c442f2_z.jpg

7822287466_bfcfaa6b44_z.png

Thank you!

Tom.

Cupra
I used to love Warwick castle as a kid. Do they still have the dungeons too?

I like the UWA perspective. The sky in #3 could benefit from being a bit toned down though.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Depth of field looks pretty good for hand held f8, I take it you're going no lower than 125th?

Have you thought about using a tripod for bigger DOF in variable light conditions?

Cheers for the input fellas.

Yeah Andy, the dungeons are still there. I never went down - but now I wish I had, because so many people say they're good!

Cheers Dave, yeah, I think my lowest was 1/250. I didn't take my tripod, no. I didn't even give it much thought to be honest... What settings would you recommend?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Well it really depends on the lighting conditions, but for the kind of shots you took,
I would have got the tripod out and used f22 and whatever slow shutter speed was needed for the light level,
but seeing as the background isn't that far away f16 would have done it.

I just bang the camera on f22 so everything's in pin sharp focus when shooting panoramic/landscape style images.

The only thing with slower shutter speeds is you get motion blur if people are moving about,
but it looked like a sunny day so I doubt you'd have got any or gone lower than a 1/60,
but you can quite easily use 1/125 in your hand without any camera shake.

For changeable lighting conditions the tripod is invaluable,
when I was into landscapes i'd use f16-f22 depending on how far the background was away.

Last edited:
Im sorry Dave but your not quite right, its quite possible to get everything in focus at 10mm using f5.6 or less. The following was taken at 10mm and f8 its front to back in focus and very sharp. Diffraction kicks in around f11 (softening of the image) and f16-f22 will give softer results. Indeed the only reason to choose a higher f stop than f8 is if you purposly wish to reduce image quality... and thats a strange reason!

7748202162_f313e3254f.png

Media BBC by Brazo76, on Flickr

Well it really depends on the lighting conditions, but for the kind of shots you took,
I would have got the tripod out and used f22 and whatever slow shutter speed was needed for the light level,
but seeing as the background isn't that far away f16 would have done it.

I just bang the camera on f22 so everything's in pin sharp focus when shooting panoramic/landscape style images.

The only thing with slower shutter speeds is you get motion blur if people are moving about,
but it looked like a sunny day so I doubt you'd have got any or gone lower than a 1/60,
but you can quite easily use 1/125 in your hand without any camera shake.

For changeable lighting conditions the tripod is invaluable,
when I was into landscapes i'd use f16-f22 depending on how far the background was away.

I haven't read all this thread as I'm on my phone. But I assume you don't realise that setting the camera to f22 is one of the worst things you can do with regards to getting sharp images.....or not as the case actually is.
Just research lens diffraction.