ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Was greeted by a note from Acton police on my car...

Suzuki Ignis Sport
38252_535013474407_285600865_1852865_1694803_n.jpg

It reads

Your vehicle has been damaged by a stolen vehicle, on the rear left panel and a suspect was arrested. Please call X quoting X to provide your details

Damage doesn't look too bad, seems like most of it will polish off, and a small dent, but will have a closer look tomorrow in the day time.

So what is the process of this? ... I have rang the police and they told me to contact my insurance company quoting the reference number etc.

I'm thinking, because the suspect was caught, and therefore (hopefully) the car was recovered too, then the insurance would go through the other cars policy... am i right?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I'm pretty sure you have a few options. If he is taken to court and convicted he will prob be made to pay it as part of the sentence. He will then no doubt plead poverty, in which case he will pay it back very slowly, so you could then take him to small claims, but prob no point.

I would imagine the number you give to your insurance company will be so if the guy is convicted they can recover their costs after they have paid for your repairs. Personally, if the damage isn't too bad I would call the police back and check if you actually have to contact your insurance, I imagine you don't actually have to. In which case, if you can, get it fixed yourself. Avoid losing NCB and attempt to recover your own costs directly. Problem is, from experience, you don't tend to get your money back!

They wont be insured on that car surely?

So you would have to claim through your insurance. No way the guy who stole it, rang up his insurance company before stealing it to make sure hes insured...

Suzuki Ignis Sport
They wont be insured on that car surely?

So you would have to claim through your insurance. No way the guy who stole it, rang up his insurance company before stealing it to make sure hes insured...

But the car itself should be insured under the owner, so claiming theft/damage etc through their insurance?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Will have to find out tomorrow when i ring my insurance company, and see what they say/know.

ITB'd MK1
But the car itself should be insured under the owner, so claiming theft/damage etc through their insurance?

yes, that's how it works. The owner of the car that was stolen is responsible for the car, the theft cover on theri insurance will include damage done by their vehicle whilst stolen

Suzuki Ignis Sport
yes, that's how it works. The owner of the car that was stolen is responsible for the car, the theft cover on theri insurance will include damage done by their vehicle whilst stolen

If this is true, then thats good news for me! Many thanks Danny.

53 Clio's & counting
As Danny has said, it should be that the owner of the car will claime on his insurance for his vehicle, and his insurance company should cover any damage that vehicle has caused, regardless who was driving as it will be claimed under the theft rulings

Suzuki Ignis Sport
If this is true, then thats good news for me! Many thanks Danny.

As Danny has said, it should be that the owner of the car will claime on his insurance for his vehicle, and his insurance company should cover any damage that vehicle has caused, regardless who was driving as it will be claimed under the theft rulings

Claiming through them wouldn't affect my NCB or Premium right?

But if it is a small amount of damage, DON'T claim. It will affect your premium for five years.

Would my premium be affected?

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
my car got stollen last year i found out in the morning wgen i went to go to work phoned my insurance company and they stopped the insurance as soon as i rang so they would not be liable for if it crashed into something or some one . the next day it crashed into a taxi after being chased by the police. i had a letterl from the taxi drivers insurance compay asking for my details i rang them up told them i was with elephant and they would have to sort it out with them as the car was stollen the day before hence not insured.

so from what i was told from my experance the car was not covered and the taxi it hit had to claim of there policy.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Just went over the damaged part with some t-cut and polish and most of it came off, only a few bits where the paint has totally came off, and scratched. And also the panel does not sit flush to the rest of the body no more.

Is it still worth getting it fixed if im not payin for it?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
years ago my gf's dad was crashed into his brand new car by an uninsured driver whod stole the car he was driving, ignorant as expected saying he had no money to pay so basically thats it, the courts do something so that he "owes" you the money, his name is then marked with debt to you (still s**t crack as it probably wont ever be payed)......in this case, few years later, this baghead couldnt get a mortgage because of this and randomly offered they money so his name could be clear of debt

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Don't want that on your name for 5 years. Have to declare an accident and recovery of costs. Most insurance companies increase your premium for any claim even if costs were recovered.