ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washer problem

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Got a bit of a strange one with my screen washers, they are only working once every one and then and when not squirting I can hear the drivers side headlight motor run when the jets should be.
I've stripped it all down, cleaned and trimmed the pump rubbers back but no change

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Ah sorry it's the drivers headlight motor that is whirring when operating the washers. With someone operating the washers I can hear the pumps click but no water or at least only very occasionally and only for a few seconds.

I think I'll strip it out and try the pumps in a bowl of water

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
With the headlights on the headlight washers arent running either?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Headlight washers should only engage when the dipped beam is on.

For the headlights, you can just remove that rubber sliding valve all together. Just means both headlights get a double spray but it still operates fine.

I would also try disconnecting disconnecting the pipes at the pump and see if it at least sprays water.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Headlight washers should only engage when the dipped beam is on.

For the headlights, you can just remove that rubber sliding valve all together. Just means both headlights get a double spray but it still operates fine.

I would also try disconnecting disconnecting the pipes at the pump and see if it at least sprays water.
I'll have a look in a bit

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
@Amos91 solved it! I thought theres nothing to lose in pulling one of these pumps apart, so pulled the cover from the end with the inlet and outlets on. You know the well known fix for the valve, well it would appear that a similar issue is what causes the pumps to fail. The impeller sits over a seal that over time swells and presses against it preventing it from spinning so I shaved it flat with a loose razor blade, reassembled and hey presto, all sorted!

I wonder if this should be in the guides? Not much of a saving but when desperate to fix and not be waiting on parts its enabled me to get my car back together.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yes I know which one you mean, seem similar in the past but I'd say it's very rare. Quite a large rubber washer from memory.

Glad you got it sorted! The aftermarket pumps are crap so best to keep the OEM ones going.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
20200404_163639.jpg
20200404_164631.jpg
20200404_163752.jpg