ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water in inlet manifold

Just wanted to know how much damage (if at all) could be caused by water passing through the air filter into the throttle body. (Hill Power induction Kit)

Im not talking a major amount, but I forgot to close my bonnet yesterday and it absolutely pissed it down. For part of this time there would have been no filter attached at all.

Car seems to be running ok, but I havent had long to check it

um, turn it over with teh plugs out.......a tad to much water in the cylinder can destroy an engine due to compression....

BMW 320d Sport

What the car was just parked up with the bonnet open and the filter was off? And the engine was switched off? Id be surprised if any water at all went into the manifold. There would be no reason for it to. Unless your throttle body is facing upwards or something, which is a possibility!

Water vapour wont be much of a problem, big masses of water going in will blow the engine through compression as Ben R says. But thats the kind of thing that happens when someone drives through high flood water and doesnt realise where their airbox intake is. Unlikely to happen just by it raining.

Car seems to be running ok Would seem to indicate that you had concerns if it had done any damage, or could have, and the simple answer is....

you have had no issues, and they wont occur after the event lol...

If it has JUST happened, and you aint started the engine - or tried to lol !.. then yep, take the plugs out, replace the filter, squirt wd40 into the inlet (before the new filter is installed..... !) (This will absorb (bond with) the water droplets and pass them through the engine safely) - then, ya can spin it up..

So, you are fine, dont panic.. and yes, there CAN be BIG issues..

Hydraulic compression is the best, the piston comes up and compresses, or tries to , water........ oooooooooooooops, bent, broken rod.. sometimes seen saying hello through a displaced piece of engine block.............

Joe:)

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah an engine can take a fine mist of water no problem, it just cools down the inlet charge a bit. But buckets of it wont do you any good! I remember when we had the bad floods a year or two back and a woman in front of me obviously thought she was invincible in her husbands 4x4. As she went into the flood water, of course the engine sucked in the water and conked out and she was left sitting there in water up to the doors! How I chuckled as I turned around and took another route.