ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water under my passenger seat?

Not a Clio at the moment!
Hi, I am new to the forum having brought my Clio 172 cup, 2 weeks ago. Already I have a problem. I noticed after driving it in the rain the other day, that under the drivers seat (mostly rear footwell but seeping to the front under seat) its a pool of water.

It doesnt appear to be wet up the sides of the carpet, nor the drivers side. Any ideas what could be causing it? We pushed the passenger seat forward, ripped the carpet up, and had to cut out the underlay to dry and litterally mop up the water. The bung holes are covered and there is no rust so I have no idea..where the water could be coming in from? :dapprove:

Caroline

Clio Williams & 182
Do you have a sunroof?

Do your heaters work?

Have you lost coolant lately?

Check the boot as well, is it dry?

340i
A passenger with incontinence?

As James say, door seals are a good bet, also worth pulling the carpet up and checking the water pipe for rear washer jet (the joint split on my Clio)

Thanks for the tips,

There is no sunroof and the passenger door seals seem fine. I did have a look when I found the pool of water but the edges of the passenger door was dry and the carpet up the sides were dry too suspecting the water was coming in from underneath?!

The boot was also dry, but the puncture repair kit, in the gap where the spare wheel hole is was wet (but not all around the spare whel hole, only where the repair kit lay so that was a mistery).

Heaters work and coolant seems topped up ok. I'll have to get the carpet up at weekend and check, unless I want to rip, I'm gonna need to take the passenger seat out first as the carpet surrounds the runners.

No rust, no damp or mouldy smell so indicates that the problem hasnt been around too long...however, its a 2002 model and the carpets look in very good nick, indicating maybe they have been replaced quite recently?!!

S2 106 GTI
Check your rear seats, found mine happened when I parked on a hill facing down (was rather steep) and with all the really heavy rain we had in cumbria it managed to build up on the top lip of the bumper find its way in through
the boot, under the rear bench, and into the drivers foot well!

I still park it facing down hill and never happened since! even when it rains now. Must have been really heavy!

Pug 205 gti
iv got the same sort of problem, all the carpers are wet, its comin in from the back n/s somewhere. as mine's stripped out theres a trail of water in the boot when its rained hard

Hi,
well, had the back seats up and no wet there. When I sit in the drives seat and put my hands down beneath the passenger seat, if I slide my hand down past the seat belt clip, Its totally wet right underneath the seat both sides of the middle ridge ??:S I will ring the guy whom I brought it from tomorrow, see what he has to say...

I love my new car so Im hoping its ok :(

Looking under the side, the edges seem bowed a bit (where the sideskirts are attached to) like its had a side impact?

Spent 2 hours with mechsnic today tryin to sort it...no luck...nothing from scuttle etc..so fraid the car is gonna be stripped out Monday and a hose put over it to find the cause...however, will post my findings as I would not wish this upon anyone else on the forum...its an indoor swimming pool at the mo...cant understand how rain (or wet) this much can happen without realising the cause?!

Nissan 350z
Yeah sounds the best bet. 1 person outside with a hose the other inside watching for the water to trickle in. Its got to be a seal on either the door or window of the passenger side surely.

Yeah, one would have thought. Its amazing..its just like an indoor pool on the passenger side and Ive only had the car 2 weeks!! The scuttle was cleared and they found the "2" stuck in there from the drivers side 17"2" cup logo which was missing!! How that was in there who knows!!!

Hi, soory to be an idiot, but in sills do you mean the holes under the passenger door? If so they are clear?!

Hi, just researched it - sill is a rocker panel - bodywork beneath the doors?! Or something. When my clio was on ramps I see underneath - the metal edge between the sideskirt and the underneath seams abit bowed. I pointed this out to the guy who sold me the car but he said water could not get in there as its just bowed where someone has raised the car in the wrong position and bent it. Not too sure - there are bows here and there the whole length of the passenger side so I would bet thats where the water is coming in but Im only a woman so I woudnt know?!!!
;-)
Caz

Hi All,

Have had my leak checked out today and its coming in from the boot apparently. There are 2 "holes", one each side of the back of the car about midway next to the rear lights in the recess next to the boot rubber seal. Its where the rubber stoppers on the boot lid make impact with the back of the car.

These "holes" have loose bungs in which is where water is leaking in through.........so Im told.

The guys have sealed round the bungs and this appears to have fixed the problem....time will tell as its supposed to rain here tomorrow / Wed so fingers crossed..

couple of questions thou:

1) has all these cars got these "holes"?
2) whats the point if all they do is create a leak?

R,

Caz

2005 Clio Sport
Wish I had seen this before self diagnosing.
After removing boot carpet and watching inside the boot whilst someone uses a pressure washer (didn’t work), I thought it must be the water flowing backwards off the roof when driving, so I got someone to drive along the motorway in the pouring rain - with me the boot - and saw a trickle of water coming in through those bungs.
It’s ridiculous there is no seal there. Remove, apply silicon, problem stopped.